In Service of the Death Lord - DuskRaider's AT Project

DuskRaider

• 3 weeks later...

I’m not really sure where to post this… when Legions Imperialis is released I’ll probably start another thread under there but for now I’ll keep my adventures in 8mm under this post since it all ties together anyhow. 

A couple weeks back I dropped by my FLGS to grab some paint and supplies and happened to notice that they had some Astartes Aeronautica models, particularly the Thunderhawk. Since I fully intend to play LI, it was kind of a no-brainer to grab it while I was there, especially since GW hasn’t released the model in some time now due to re-boxing and now the delay. Seeing these go for over $100 on eBay and whatnot, it was an easy decision to grab it for retail while I had the chance. 

Yesterday I was chugging along painting this guy and it had been on my mind that they had other models there as well, namely two boxes of Fire Raptors and a box of Xiphons. I decided that I would just swing by and see if any are still there and decide if I want to buy anything from there. 

All three boxes were still on the shelf… I was a bit surprised when I saw them there but decided that it was a good idea to just grab them while I had the chance, so at this time I have a small collection of Air Support for the XIVth. 

I started painting this big guy in tandem with the remaining Knights (which are pretty far along at this point). It’s funny, I haven’t painted anything Death Guard in quite some time, let alone in their Heresy scheme. Here’s where it is as of yesterday morning:

64OK0Hs.jpg
bulqtlx.jpg
TZGhmAj.jpg

I didn’t realize until well into the painting that I had assembled the top wings upside down… *sigh*… I’ve since started on the metal parts and it’s coming along nicely. 

Here are the other craft newly primed and ready for paint:

lVlRsLr.jpg

Hopefully I’ll have some more updates soon, but I just started a new job so we’ll see. 

2 hours ago, Captain Idaho said:

That's super well painted, but then I expect nothing less from your standard man :wink:

Thanks bud! I’m trying my best to get back into the swing of things when it comes to painting. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to do it at the rate (or honestly even the quality) that I used to but I’m doing my best. 

• 2 months later...

Long time, no update. 

I’ve finished the Air Support for my Death Guard (sans a Thunderhawk). At one point, I took a bit of a hiatus but recently picked the brushes back up and vowed to finish these before I went head first into the infantry and tanks (god there’s so many…). 

ELVYeUv.jpg
obHANEr.jpg
Jyeq2Is.jpg

Not much to say with these, the photos do the talking I suppose. I do have to say, I wish I had armed the Heavy Bolter Fire Raptors with Lascannons but it is what it is. I guess more anti-infantry isn’t a bad thing and the Las Raptors plus the squadron of Xiphons are well equipped to deal with opposing aircraft and armor. 

I was a bit sparing with the transfers, particularly on the Xiphons. I am trying to stick with the philosophy of the XIVth, little adornment or ostentation. 

That’s it for this update, I’m hoping to get to the other stuff plus the two Warhounds once the holidays are over. Let me know what you think!