Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil

Fire Golem

1 hour ago, Lord_Ikka said:

Never really read any of Fehervari's novels before, but read the Aria Arcana and had to find some more. Just finished the Reverie, working on Requiem Infernal now- this is how Chaos should be depicted, insidious, glorious, horrifying, and transformative all in one. Very good writing, with plenty of depth to get stuck into (as I'm realizing having read some of this thread). 

Please!

Welcome to the Coil. You'll only be here forever.

Edited by DarkChaplain

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Altar of Maws - Well this was a great horror short. I have no clue what's even going on on this lovely planet any more, but I guess it's part of the charm?

Lovely little touch that "About the author" section mentions what anthologies have some of his previously written shorts.

Would help if we could easily read all the previous stuff all in one place... Like, say an Omnibus!?

8 hours ago, DarkChaplain said:

I'm actually really upset about them advertising Phil Kelly's Shadowsun novel at the back instead of, you know, Peter's Fire Caste, which is also a Taun novel? Like, for feth's sake, BL, at least promote a competent author.

From cosmic mind melting horror, to horrific writing... Atleast there's some connection?

35 minutes ago, System Sound said:

Question is: why didn't they yet? More recent stories had omnibus collections done. And it's not like there's a lack of material to compile either...

I don't think BL know what to do with this author.  So they pretend he doesn't exist.  

Peter has a small, dedicated fan base, especially in Russia. I remember he mentioned in one of the interviews, The Reverie (or one of his latest novels) sales would decide whether he continues writing for BL or not.

Ubiquitous1984 is spot on. I'd say BL is aware Peter's writing is way above your average BL output but it's struggling to reach a wider audience. Or should I say, BL is struggling to promote it correctly.

Good day,

I am going through some of his works, and I have encountered "True Night" brought on by a "Black Sun" in at least a couple of shorts happening on the same planet. As well as mentions of them in longer stories.

Apologies if the following has been raised before, I did not go through this thread and have not searched the forum.

I vaguely remember BL novels years ago involving the appearance of a dark star that would corrode sanity and life in nearby planets, with Inquisition missions to worlds that were going mad when the aforementioned dark star appeared. Sorry I cannot remember any  more details or titles/authors. As I have just started reading the PF stories I wonder if there is any connection. Spoilers are welcome, hidden or otherwise.

There was an event referenced in Warhammer Horror iirc, particularly in McNeill's novella from Novella Series 1. I doubt they're actually related, though. The Dark Coil has been pretty self-contained with its mysteries.

At any rate, Sarastus in particular still has some mysteries to reveal. We've come a long way since "Nightfall" back in Heroes of the Space Marines, but even with The Walker in Fire, Requiem Infernal and Nightbleed, there's a lot more left cooking than has been served up so far.

Edited by DarkChaplain

• 1 month later...

So. Now, years later, I managed to finish Requiem Infernal during my summer hols. Now that was an awesome read. There are soo many questions as to the fate of various characters, that I hardly know where to begin!

If I could figure out how to hide the questions behind a spoiler tag, I would! 

I noticed that there is a companion short story - Aria - for Requiem Infernal? Is it any good? And does the more recent Altar of Maws have any relation to RI?

Cheers!

39 minutes ago, Master Ciaphas said:

So. Now, years later, I managed to finish Requiem Infernal during my summer hols. Now that was an awesome read. There are soo many questions as to the fate of various characters, that I hardly know where to begin!

If I could figure out how to hide the questions behind a spoiler tag, I would! 

I noticed that there is a companion short story - Aria - for Requiem Infernal? Is it any good? And does the more recent Altar of Maws have any relation to RI?

Cheers!

Aria Arcana is indeed a companion piece to RI. Altar of Maws is more related to Fire Caste.

• 2 months later...