Peter Fehervari’s Dark Coil

Fire Golem

Welp, it took me ages to get around to Fehervari's works, and I'm a little sad I didn't get here sooner. My first contact with Fehervari was Genestealer Cults (now Cult of the Spiral Dawn), and it just didn't really hook me that much. Don't get me wrong, it was fine. I think it captures the fundamental feeling of what I think of as "40k" very well... but it was also fairly predictable. There was a lot of hype for Fehervari at the time and I felt like I was missing something. It turns out that's one of his more tame works, and the eldritch fever-dream style in some of his other works is 1000% my jam.

So I read The Reverie last year and absolutely loved it. And then I got to Requiem Infernal and honestly really struggled for a bit. I think part of the issue is that when it's difficult to figure out what's going on at the start of a novel, it can be hard to get invested in the characters or especially the plot, and so this kind of story really needs to hook you fast in its intrigue and/or its characters. With The Reverie it seemed to work for me, and fair enough. Even though it's still abstract and sometimes hard to follow at its start, it only switches perspectives between the wanderer in the woods and the boy in the village in its first section, even if it's still jumping around time. But with Requiem, it's veering all over the place, across not just time, but timelines, and trying to introduce a larger cast of characters right out the gates, most all of whom have complex circumstances (and sometimes even the locations themselves have so much character that they might as well be part of the cast). I would pick it up for a chapter or two and then put it down for weeks at a time. Finally I hit a point where it clicked and I steamed through the latter 2/3s of the book in about 3 evenings.

I'm really glad I stuck with it. I'm definitely in for more of the Coil now, and actively looking for more. I've also been getting into some classic horror films lately, which led me to the works of Dario Argento, and a lot of those films feel like they have a similar tone. Emotionally driven, surreal, loosely plotted, with inventive locales and a delirious pacing. Going further, Argento is a film maker who's had a big influence on quite a number of directors in anime, among them Kunihiko Ikuhara. Tying it all together, some of the vivid imagery Fehervari conjures, combined with how he sprinkles in Japanese names (among other cultures, but the borrowing of Japanese names seems most consistent and tends to stand out a lot) makes me think that perhaps both Argento and quite a number of anime features have been a big influence on Fehervari in turn. As an example, Sister Mercy hopping around in the air felt pretty dang anime.

Some of the fourth-wall breaking can be a fine line to walk too, but I think it works really well in Requiem in particular. And I don't think I've seen an author quite "get" Tzeentch like Fehervari does, either. I felt The Reverie was all Tzeentch's show, and sort of expected mostly the same in Requiem with how the Changer of Ways seems to dominate and influence the first 2/3 of the story, but was pleasantly surprised on how much Fehervari diversified the experience towards the end and made it more about the pure madness of Chaos. As soon as the Watchman awakens, things really start to go off the rails. And on that subject, the aspects of the Incarnates are a super neat concept that I wouldn't mind seeing more of.

Lastly, the metaphysics of Asenath in the universe are pretty intriguing. So, this was my understanding, and I'm going to spoiler tag it just in case someone is here looking up something on a different book but hasn't checked out Requiem Infernal yet:

So she has a split personality, right? And the way that works in 40k, with the warp, is that she essentially compartmentalized a part of herself and split her own soul in two. And she did this without being very self-aware of the consequences of what she was doing, at all. And the separate half of her soul fell to Chaos? It's seemingly taken to Slaanesh, as Sister Mercy's an identity that revels in the moment, in savoring the infliction of suffering, and excessively indulging the whims of its ego, but that's not 100% certain, either. I think that tracks though, because the other 3 powers are all represented in some significant way in the book. I'd just never considered how multiple personality disorder might work in relation to a soul or the warp before, so that's cool to see here. Very creative.

I think I'll have to re-read at least the first third of Requiem relatively soon to put it all together more coherently, especially with the way I read it on and off through its beginning. And after that, maybe I'll branch off to Fire Caste and Fehervari's short stories so I can pick out more of the references between them. Cool stuff. I would absolutely score each of these books as a 9.

9 out of what, you say?

Just 9. 9 times 9. 9 through 9. 9 9 9 99 999 999999999999

Fehervari is, IMHO, one of the few authors working for BL who not only reward a second read but almost demand it. Although I have loved all his work on first read, I have actually gotten even more enjoyment on a repeated read some time later. His stories are like the layers of an onion, not so much in terms of plot but in terms of meaning and metaphor.

I agree with you, Lets You Down, that Fehervari "gets" Tzeentch, and the metaphysics of Chaos.

Some authors write Chaos as "the bad guys", and each faction with a slightly different flavour, but essentially just "bad guys". Whereas Chaos in Peter Fehervari's works is more often portrayed like the psychedelic mind-fething warp entity it actually is.

Fehervari is, IMHO, one of the few authors working for BL who not only reward a second read but almost demand it. Although I have loved all his work on first read, I have actually gotten even more enjoyment on a repeated read some time later. His stories are like the layers of an onion, not so much in terms of plot but in terms of meaning and metaphor.

I went through the Track of Words interviews with Fehervari, and their Dark Coil Traveler's Guide, and I'm just starting to appreciate how true this is. It's been long enough since I read Spiral Dawn that it went completely over my head that Requiem Infernal is taking place in the same space, but a very different time. I'll definitely have to give it another shot after I've given more of the Coil at least a once-over.

• 1 month later...
Long time lurker here - and a big fan of the Dark Coil stories (thanks to the BL subforum for introducing me to Fehervari's work!).

So naturally I couldn't wait for his new story, The Sins of my Brothers. I'll leave a full review to more capable hands, but there is one thing I'd like to discuss:

Heavy spoilers for SomB and Vanguard inbound:

While the story was indeed brilliant, one thing worries me and that's Fehervari's future with 40K.

IIRC his stories, while great, are not exactly moneymakers. He was also asked at least once to tone down his weirdness and produce much more generic story than he would like - Vanguard.

There is I think pretty clear reference to this in the text. There is a tease of an odd xenos experiment with linking consciousness into Phaedra, but instead of exploring it the Skitarii are forced to complete their original objective: "Incapable of disobeying his master, the Alpha turned his back on the mystery. Like questions, answers were irrelevant."

It looks innocent, but not in hindsight, knowing Fehervari wanted to make this story much more complex and weird, but was repeatedly turned down.

And here comes my worry for SomB. The story flows wonderfully, Athanazius recollecting and self-justifying the journey that took him there. Everything looks like a setup for the future, there is even a dark vision of things to come...and then he's abruptly murdered, this time for real. Athanazius wanted to be a redeemer, but in his final moments "the betrayer understood he would never be anything more".

This hit unconfortably close to what I could imagine would be Fehervari metaphor for him wanting to do much more but being unable to, due to studio interference or any other reasons. All seems more likely considering he's writing a non40k fiction now as well.

On the other hand the area where the story takes places is known for keeping "ghosts" bound to this place, so I can imagine a singular mind (and soul) which Athanazius certainly posess to somewhat escape...maybe twisted and corrupted to fulfil the dark vision he sees before. But the ending does feel kinda final...

So...what do others think? Am I looking too much into it? Are there more Dark Coil stories coming?

In any case, I recommend this story to each and every fan of Dark Coil. Only recommendation would be saving it for last (definitely last in the Angels Petinent/Resplendent storyline and after Requiem Infernal). Reading it last enhance a lot of the previous experience, while reading it beforehand would undermine some of the mystery found in previous stories.

Hopefully there will be much more coming from Fehervari.

Long time lurker here - and a big fan of the Dark Coil stories (thanks to the BL subforum for introducing me to Fehervari's work!).

So naturally I couldn't wait for his new story, The Sins of my Brothers. I'll leave a full review to more capable hands, but there is one thing I'd like to discuss:

Heavy spoilers for SomB and Vanguard inbound:
While the story was indeed brilliant, one thing worries me and that's Fehervari's future with 40K.

IIRC his stories, while great, are not exactly moneymakers. He was also asked at least once to tone down his weirdness and produce much more generic story than he would like - Vanguard.

There is I think pretty clear reference to this in the text. There is a tease of an odd xenos experiment with linking consciousness into Phaedra, but instead of exploring it the Skitarii are forced to complete their original objective: "Incapable of disobeying his master, the Alpha turned his back on the mystery. Like questions, answers were irrelevant."

It looks innocent, but not in hindsight, knowing Fehervari wanted to make this story much more complex and weird, but was repeatedly turned down.

And here comes my worry for SomB. The story flows wonderfully, Athanazius recollecting and self-justifying the journey that took him there. Everything looks like a setup for the future, there is even a dark vision of things to come...and then he's abruptly murdered, this time for real. Athanazius wanted to be a redeemer, but in his final moments "the betrayer understood he would never be anything more".

This hit unconfortably close to what I could imagine would be Fehervari metaphor for him wanting to do much more but being unable to, due to studio interference or any other reasons. All seems more likely considering he's writing a non40k fiction now as well.

On the other hand the area where the story takes places is known for keeping "ghosts" bound to this place, so I can imagine a singular mind (and soul) which Athanazius certainly posess to somewhat escape...maybe twisted and corrupted to fulfil the dark vision he sees before. But the ending does feel kinda final...

So...what do others think? Am I looking too much into it? Are there more Dark Coil stories coming?

In any case, I recommend this story to each and every fan of Dark Coil. Only recommendation would be saving it for last (definitely last in the Angels Petinent/Resplendent storyline and after Requiem Infernal). Reading it last enhance a lot of the previous experience, while reading it beforehand would undermine some of the mystery found in previous stories.

Hopefully there will be much more coming from Fehervari.

I just finished SomB, and I felt exactly the same upon finishing it - there's certainly a greater sense of finality to it compared to PF's other works. Then again, it could just be PF resolving the Angel Penitents plotline to move onto to something new, so fingers crossed...:cry:    

• 2 weeks later...

GeeDubs are fools if they fail to realize that SomB was the seller of "The Successors".

Unfortunately you have no way of proving this, and I'd hazard - if his readership is indeed comparatively small by BL standards - that then many readers of the book possibly hasn't read any Fehervari before.

GeeDubs are fools if they fail to realize that SomB was the seller of "The Successors".

Unfortunately you have no way of proving this, and I'd hazard - if his readership is indeed comparatively small by BL standards - that then many readers of the book possibly hasn't read any Fehervari before.

True, but this could be fixed with a Dark Coil anthology. They could use it as a way to generate interest for Requiem Infernal and The Reverie, especially since they gotta find ways to fill their horror catalog now that the fiction is spreading thin due to branching into crime and whatnot...

If only Black Library would give us a Dark Coil anthology with all those short stories.

I reckon BL have some idea that Fehervari has a devoted following, and would buy this book just for his story. The ADB exclusive short as well would sell the book.

That's why the rest of the book is padded out with C-listers (excepting the prolific Guy Haley) and has had pretty bad reviews.

But surely it's BL practice to get all the Dark Coil fans to buy the separate anthologies, and then later (hopefully) compile them into one Dark Coil-specific book and have us buy them all over again? :wink:

If only Black Library would give us a Dark Coil anthology with all those short stories.

That's why the rest of the book is padded out with C-listers (excepting the prolific Guy Haley) and has had pretty bad reviews.

Sorry to be a pain, but again for this thread, what justification do you have for such a statement?

I reckon BL have some idea that Fehervari has a devoted following, and would buy this book just for his story. The ADB exclusive short as well would sell the book.

But surely it's BL practice to get all the Dark Coil fans to buy the separate anthologies, and then later (hopefully) compile them into one Dark Coil-specific book and have us buy them all over again? :wink:

One can only hope they are this devious.

I personally don't understand when some people says, i quote,  "... his stories, while great, are not exactly moneymakers..." . All his books have been selling rather well if i am to judge by their availability. As for his "weirdness" it is the defining element of his works, it is what allow him to create and expand on the 40k universe.

On the other hand, i believe that the problem between Fehervari and GW/BL is of a different nature, as it is now. And to picture it, i will take into account the recents works of other authors such as Guy Haley or ADB. Now, if you compare PF and GH/ADB you can see a difference. To me that difference is summed up in one word "Primaris".

Remember that BL narrative exist mainly to push the sells and promote GW miniatures. ADB Spears of the Emperor, or Guy Haley Darkness in the Blood / Astorath, thoses recents novels all present Primaris marines, even to some excesses (For me, Darkness in the Blood felt rather bland in the end mostly due to push for Primaris, and the new Primaris Mephiston. In the end it felt like the novel itself was but an excuse to introduce the miniature, for the most part.). On the contrary, all PF works still features non-primaris space marines, because his setting is still set in the 40K Universe before the Great Rift opening. I believe that this simple difference is, for the main part, the explication as to why BL seems to treat PF rather poorly despite his talent and the quality of the work he produced for the 40k Universe.

To me, Peter Fehervari is number one Black Library author. =) 

Edited by Frater Antodeniel

I personally don't understand when some people says, i quote,  "... his stories, while great, are not exactly moneymakers..." . All his books have been selling rather well if i am to judge by their availability. As for his "weirdness" it is the defining element of his works, it is what allow him to create and expand on the 40k universe.

On the other hand, i believe that the problem between Fehervari and GW/BL is of a different nature, as it is now. And to picture it, i will take into account the recents works of other authors such as Guy Haley or ADB. Now, if you compare PF and GH/ADB you can see a difference. To me that difference is summed up in one word "Primaris".

Remember that BL narrative exist mainly to push the sells and promote GW miniatures. ADB Spears of the Emperor, or Guy Haley Darkness in the Blood / Astorath, thoses recents novels all present Primaris marines, even to some excesses (For me, Darkness in the Blood felt rather bland in the end mostly due to push for Primaris, and the new Primaris Mephiston. In the end it felt like the novel itself was but an excuse to introduce the miniature, for the most part.). On the contrary, all PF works still features non-primaris space marines, because his setting is still set in the 40K Universe before the Great Rift opening. I believe that this simple difference is, for the main part, the explication as to why BL seems to treat PF rather poorly despite his talent and the quality of the work he produced for the 40k Universe.

This feels like projection. Although I agree with the final line.

I personally don't understand when some people says, i quote, "... his stories, while great, are not exactly moneymakers..." . All his books have been selling rather well if i am to judge by their availability. As for his "weirdness" it is the defining element of his works, it is what allow him to create and expand on the 40k universe.

Fehervari’s always been more interested in writing in his own corner of the setting than contributing to whatever the studio and other authors are doing. I can’t imagine BL is mistreating him now because of that. Many of the big BL authors aren’t writing about Primaris anyways - Abnett hasn’t written a single thing set post rift, Wraight’s written maybe one book with Primaris in it, French hasn’t written any. Why would BL punish Fehervari specifically?

If you look at what Peter’s said in the past and review numbers across goodreads/audible you’ll see he really doesn’t do huge numbers in terms of sales, at least compared to other BL authors. That’s why he sticks to his day job as a video editor still.

I, for one, am really looking forward to his newest short dropping as an "ebook". I still need to read Requiem Infernal, but otherwise I have read everything that is readily available. I just wish that he would write more stories that I can read!

He is - also in my book - the #1 storysmith at Black Library. (Even though French, Wraight, ADB and Abnett are all very, very good as well!)

Cheers! 

I, for one, am really looking forward to his newest short dropping as an "ebook". I still need to read Requiem Infernal, but otherwise I have read everything that is readily available. I just wish that he would write more stories that I can read!

He is - also in my book - the #1 storysmith at Black Library. (Even though French, Wraight, ADB and Abnett are all very, very good as well!)

Cheers!

BL moved away from releasing individual short stories as ebooks on a regular basis, so unfortunately there’s no guarantee Sins of My Brothers becomes available outside of The Successors Anthology.

• 6 months later...

Since the new Horror offerings been announced and not a single Peter's story is in sight... Is there any news from the man? Since he doesn't appear to be using social media much. The only place I've seen him active on is Goodreads. I know that a few people on r/40klore are in contact with him, but I haven't seen anything from them either.

Hopefully it's just another long draught before, we're subject to a surprise novel!

I took your advice, DC, and messaged Peter on Goodreads. I've written before and he has always replied, like the gent he is.

The good news is that he said he has a couple more short stories set in the Dark Coil that have been signed off by BL, and he didn't mind me passing on this info to the wider public, but he isn't sure when they will be coming out. :thumbsup:

For all we know, it could be tomorrow. Not like GW/BL would give us advance notice, and even authors have been surprised by inclusions in anthologies in the past (including Peter himself, iirc).

Chances are we might get one of the stories for advent, or in a future Warhammer Horror anthology. We'll see.

16 hours ago, byrd9999 said:

I took your advice, DC, and messaged Peter on Goodreads. I've written before and he has always replied, like the gent he is.

The good news is that he said he has a couple more short stories set in the Dark Coil that have been signed off by BL, and he didn't mind me passing on this info to the wider public, but he isn't sure when they will be coming out. :thumbsup:

Good to know he's not done with BL just yet. Hopefully he will get around to doing another novel at some point.