Mandragola’s Legio Astorum (and Mortis and stuff)

Mandragola

AI scenery is a fine goal too.

"Nobody's supposed to be religious" is always one of those scifi tropes I get a chuckle out of. Good luck telling humanity (in extended forms) to stop searching for meaning in the spiritual and unseen, especially in a huge galaxywide system spanning worlds in their millions. There'll be a variety of cultures, communities and institutions thousand times that that all sport various fancy buildings, statues and cultural landmarks for all sorts of reasons and nothing short of universal annihilation will wipe that away. Just like our society still sports remnants of our ancestors' works, so too shall the worlds of year 30 000. Especially on worlds recently brought into compliance, where there was no need to atomize everything but the Imperial integration machine hasn't yet had generations of time to root out the outer raiments of the old ways.

AI scenery is a fine goal too.

"Nobody's supposed to be religious" is always one of those scifi tropes I get a chuckle out of. Good luck telling humanity (in extended forms) to stop searching for meaning in the spiritual and unseen, especially in a huge galaxywide system spanning worlds in their millions. There'll be a variety of cultures, communities and institutions thousand times that that all sport various fancy buildings, statues and cultural landmarks for all sorts of reasons and nothing short of universal annihilation will wipe that away. Just like our society still sports remnants of our ancestors' works, so too shall the worlds of year 30 000. Especially on worlds recently brought into compliance, where there was no need to atomize everything but the Imperial integration machine hasn't yet had generations of time to root out the outer raiments of the old ways.

Well yeah. I'm not an expert on the lore, but I do get the impression that the Emperor's attempts to get rid of religion went less well than he might have hoped.

Wow that's a crazy number of knights to have to paint!

*counts how many knights he has to paint*

Ok, maybe not that crazy. It looks like I've got 32, mostly unbuilt, and plans to buy the new Cerastus when they appear. But at least now I know how I want to paint them :)

The household box was my downfall. I kind of had enough knights before it appeared, thanks to the GME and a few other boxes. But when the accessory sprue came out it seemed to make sense to get another 9 questoris, from the household and another banner box.

To be fair, my AT backlog is getting slowly smaller. I don’t feel too bad about the terrain, since that is kind of a public good. Or that’s how I choose to see it anyway. I’ve even managed not to buy the new starter.

My box of Skies of Fire for AI turned up, and provoked a bit of progress/distraction.

50045886288_801d713c42_k.jpg

I've had this Warbringer in its box since they were released. Lightnings were fielded by the Legios, and are terrible in AI, so I had the not-particularly-original idea of using one on a the Warbringer's base. I think it makes sense on a Warbringer, due to the AA guns on its roof.

I've also taken the opportunity to make up a Melta Cannon and Gatling Blasterfor this Warbringer. And I added its spare leg cables to the Bellicosa, which I think works quite well. A little bit of GS filling is still needed but these have worked pretty well I think.

50046443126_9f4a7f2259_k.jpg

Here they are attached to the Warbringer. The cables do link up with the weapons, though you can't see that in this shot unfortunately.

50046443121_8b727041f4_k.jpg

I'm not sure what head to give him. I'm a bit tempted to go with this spare Reaver head. In all honesty I'm not a huge fan of either design. Maybe some sort of conversion would be good.

50045877503_314565d182_k.jpg

Next job is to make something to fit in place of the Magazines. I'm making big heat sinks made from some spare laser blasters. The tricky bit will be the attachment point, which ideally I would be able to magnetise.

I think my plan is to run one of my Warbringers with two volcano cannons and quake, and the other like this with bellicosa, gatling and melta. I've got that load-out available now, as well as a spare laser blaster and quake cannon if I want them.

Edited by Mandragola

Thanks. I’m not sure a thunderbolt makes sense during the heresy. And thunderbolts are good in AI so you shouldn’t waste them. There are definitely Legion lightnings though, and lightnings are useless in AI, so I didn’t feel bad crushing this one. Edited by Mandragola

Will you mark the Lightning with Chaos stars, so the Titan is a loyalist crushing a traitor fleet's fighter? Or the Titan with Chaos stars, so the Lightning pilot WAS a loyalist who attacked a traitor Legio's Titan in an ultimately futile act of courage? Both, i.e., the model depicts units from two Chaos armies engaging in a fratricidal struggle? Neither, i.e., the Titan Princeps misidentified and then shot down the Lightning, as is regrettably common due to the fog of war?

Bit of progress today. I've finally managed to kitbash things to replace the Quake magazines on the Bellicosa Warlord. I don't really know what these things are - tanks of coolant and some other thing maybe - but they look vaguely like something that might exist on a titan, I think.

50051566023_e83366ea51_k.jpg

50052384367_b164180e6b_k.jpg

This guy can be built with either Bellicosa or Quake. Or maybe the Bellicosa will be used by the one I've built already. When this guy's painted I'll have a think about which looks more aggressive. That one will get the Bellicosa and Melta.

50052140456_f4c72b8cb6_k.jpg

Thanks. That's actually a bit of a Reaver volcano cannon, not the lamp post. I know the bit you mean and they're very similar.

Oh and thanks for the hexagon measurements Mendi. I've had a lot of fun with those.

I do hear that, though I found the Warbringer a bit of a hassle to paint. There's a very large amount of trim to do and they're not that fun to pose.

I'm pretty sure that a sprue will come out sooner or later with a bellicosa, melta and gatling for the Warbringer. Murphy's law dictates it'll be sooner, now I've gone to this hassle. And I might even get it when that happens, if it's better. Maybe I'll get one for my Mortis guys and give it my spare quake cannon. My version will do till then.

Thanks. That's actually a bit of a Reaver volcano cannon, not the lamp post. I know the bit you mean and they're very similar.

Oh and thanks for the hexagon measurements Mendi. I've had a lot of fun with those.

I thought it was a mix between the back of the volcano cannon and the lamp post, they are very similar indeed.

You're welcome. The formula can be adapted for an octogon, excel and a compass are your friends there.

Yeah I got your octagon image too. There's a bit less need for me to do octagonal buildings as the octagonal tower can reasonably go over a square. The hexagonal buildings also fit quite well on an AI hex grid, as it happens.

Opinions wanted!

Here's a spare Reaver head that I've blu-tacked onto my WIP Warbringer. Do you think I should use this head, or the standard one shown here on my finished Warbringer?

50073371041_b38d0af3c7_k.jpg

I must say, right now I think I prefer the Reaver one. In fact I'd probably replace it on my existing Warbringer if I had a spare.