Doom of Molech supplement discussion

RedFurioso

I need those damn cards AND the Spires. Maybe then I'll commit to assembling my huge pile of buildings.

will the Knights Strategum cards be new content in and of itself, or is it just a cheat-sheet for stuff from the Molech book?

As I (and many others) suspected, this quarters plastic kit is the spires. And hopefully the next week or two will bring some resin weapons from FW. Roll on Friday morning!

I would hope, AT's slow model releases seem like it's biggest weakness that tripped up the game's start; why they thought only having the Warlord with only one weapon loadout and Knights for the first few weeks was a good idea is beyond me, if the Reavers and Warhounds simply weren't ready yet why not just delay the release so we could get our whole Maniples.

and we still have no clues for when the Questorus Knights' missile pods or the other Carastus Knight variants will come out...

Wouldn't say it's a dud, given they've implied they want to push these little expansions out like twice a year or so. This has something extra for knights, seemingly quite a bit even from gameplay point of view, as well as Legio stuff and scenarios. If the knight horde rules are robust enough, adding more esoteric chassii later on ought to be easy and something they'll probably do. This is more like a "more bang from your buck" expansion to give those knights you already have more use, which I'll gladly take from a 20 euro book. It's not like the game is going to disappear anytime soon.

well, depending on exactly what the rules for Knights only armies are worded, they could remain aplicable as new Knight units are added to the game, sense unit rules are sold as command terminals rather then in a book.

but yes, GW really should have waited until they had more kinds of Knights before trying to sell us a book focused on them; we still need the other two types of Cerastus Knights, and after that we'd still need the Dominus and Acastus patterns to catch up with what the full scale 40/30K knights already have(and maybe Armigers as well if they can find a place for them in Titan scale combat), let alone any additional new types of knights that they might want to put in AT on top of that.

Wouldn't say it's a dud, given they've implied they want to push these little expansions out like twice a year or so. This has something extra for knights, seemingly quite a bit even from gameplay point of view, as well as Legio stuff and scenarios. If the knight horde rules are robust enough, adding more esoteric chassii later on ought to be easy and something they'll probably do. This is more like a "more bang from your buck" expansion to give those knights you already have more use, which I'll gladly take from a 20 euro book. It's not like the game is going to disappear anytime soon.

An expansion is one thing, this is almost a completely different game really. Knights behave much different from Titans. They aren't on equal footing with proper Titans and will need more to be able to survive an encounter with a Titan Maniple. People are going to pit Knight Houses against Titan Maniples, it's going to happen and GW needs to ensure it isn't a massacre. With two chassis options (of which the only Cerastus really worth it's salt is already released) it isn't going to work right now, which means this expansion is already behind the ball.

I don't know. Between extremely limited options at launch and no rules for the established Knight Houses (sure counts-as is a thing but why make us do it with the FIRST Knight book) it seems like this was extremely short sighted.

Why does GW need to ensure that an unbalanced match-up (Knights without Titan support vs Titans) is balanced? :huh: That's an especially surprising statement when you take into account that this is Adeptus Titanicus, so the main focus logically should be on Titans v Titan combat where Knights are a minor (though sometimes important) support element.

Same for the comment about how "needing" the full range of Knights. I, and I dare say a majority of people collecting and/or playing Adpetus Titanicus, would no doubt prefer that the focus remains on Titans (and their accessories) releases rather than Knights.

Why does GW need to ensure that an unbalanced match-up (Knights without Titan support vs Titans) is balanced? :huh.: That's an especially surprising statement when you take into account that this is Adeptus Titanicus, so the main focus logically should be on Titans v Titan combat where Knights are a minor (though sometimes important) support element.

Same for the comment about how "needing" the full range of Knights. I, and I dare say a majority of people collecting and/or playing Adpetus Titanicus, would no doubt prefer that the focus remains on Titans (and their accessories) releases rather than Knights.

because they are marketing this book as giving you the ability to run a pure knights army, which implies that said army is viable(aka "balanced") for use in the game.

Why does GW need to ensure that an unbalanced match-up (Knights without Titan support vs Titans) is balanced? :huh: That's an especially surprising statement when you take into account that this is Adeptus Titanicus, so the main focus logically should be on Titans v Titan combat where Knights are a minor (though sometimes important) support element.

If they're supplying an expansion with new rules for a new army I sure hope they'd make them valid, otherwise they're not going to make much money. They chose to focus and expansion on Knights.

I'd just as soon have them focus on Titan Legios if they're going to half ass this release, and they just as easily could have done that along with transfers and called it a day.

For what? I think it's a valid point on your behalf and I do find it odd that they're doing a Knight supplement, my thing is that if they're going to do it they should at least properly support it.

You make some good points, I agree that it shouldn’t necessarily have to be balanced, but in other game systems where they have deliberately released underpowered forces, it tends to come later in the game. The puzzling thing for me is why they choose to do this particular style of book so early in the life of the game. While I’d like some more variety in the knights available, I definitely agree with you that the focus should be on the Titans mostly. Again, especially this early in the game’s development.

Why does GW need to ensure that an unbalanced match-up (Knights without Titan support vs Titans) is balanced? :huh.: That's an especially surprising statement when you take into account that this is Adeptus Titanicus, so the main focus logically should be on Titans v Titan combat where Knights are a minor (though sometimes important) support element.

You make some good points, I agree that it shouldn’t necessarily have to be balanced, but in other game systems where they have deliberately released underpowered forces, it tends to come later in the game. The puzzling thing for me is why they choose to do this particular style of book so early in the life of the game. While I’d like some more variety in the knights available, I definitely agree with you that the focus should be on the Titans mostly. Again, especially this early in the game’s development.

I agree, we still don't have all the weapons represented on the cards that come with the core rulebook...

new artical on Molech's contents: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/16/doom-of-molech-whats-in-the-book/

ATDoomOfMolech-Apr15-Contents9kvmw.jpg

more on those new Titan Maniples:

"A pair of new maniples give you new ways to organise your battlegroup. The Fortis Battle Maniple allows Warlord and Reaver to merge void shields and ignore armour modifiers, making an incredible defensive bulwark, while the Ferrox Light Maniple is perfect for Princeps who like to take the fight to close quarters."

ATDoomOfMolech-Apr15-FerroxManiple4lmg.j

this makes 3 maniples that use 1 Reaver and 2 Warhounds as their minimal components, which I'm sure will be useful for giving players with a limited number of models more strategic/tactical flexibility in games.

Ferrox looks like quite a good option for Vulpa or something like that. I wonder what the other maniple is.

For the all-knight armies I expect we’ll see the rules useable alongside titans. I would like to see rules for having say around 3 lances as a meaningful accompaniment to titans.

Ferrox looks like quite a good option for Vulpa or something like that. I wonder what the other maniple is.

You would think so, but Vulpa already gets the +1WS/-1BS w/in 3" so at least that isn't a big deal. The short range bonus to Armour rolls and the maniple composition of 2 Reavers and a full Warhound squadron are nice, though. 

Fureans + Ferrox could be mean? Being up close is a great place to be able to choose your Machine Spirit rolls, and you can run some Hunting Auspex upgrades to pressure your opponent closer. Their command traits are keyed in to short range as well.

Fortis Maniples sound potentially ridiculous, especially for Astorum. The way it's described, that maniple has to have a catch of some kind.