Doom of Molech supplement discussion

RedFurioso

This expansion is going to be a dud with only Questoris and Cerastus as options.

Yes and no.

Is it less exciting right now - definitely.

Will it be less exciting after the next supplement or two - potentially very different.

FW has impressed upon me that they have a very long term outlook for this game, and I'd bet that some of the rules they write now are in anticipation of future releases.

This expansion is going to be a dud with only Questoris and Cerastus as options.

Yes and no.

Is it less exciting right now - definitely.

Will it be less exciting after the next supplement or two - potentially very different.

FW has impressed upon me that they have a very long term outlook for this game, and I'd bet that some of the rules they write now are in anticipation of future releases.

They're definitely squeezing the most value possible out of the limited model range. Still, the new Legio & maniple rules should shake things up a bit.

Rampant speculation time- Perhaps the success of the game took them by surprise, and they shuffled some things around to get another release out more quickly? Lead time on a book is a lot shorter than models, and I think this is a bit sooner after Titandeath than their early hints about release schedule would have suggested.

Rampant speculation time- Perhaps the success of the game took them by surprise, and they shuffled some things around to get another release out more quickly? Lead time on a book is a lot shorter than models, and I think this is a bit sooner after Titandeath than their early hints about release schedule would have suggested.

I think this is accurate. There's reasonable evidence that their plans on supplement size and content changed from inception to product, and they've mentioned new hires for the Titanicus team at the Weekender and in streams. That some of their peripheral products (Knight terminals, transfers, upgrade sprues) keep going out of stock is another strong sign that they didn't expect the success it's had despite its wonky release schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the stratagems and board environment rules in DoM were cut from the main rulebook or Titandeath only to find their way into this supplement.

Yes, it has been commented upon by FW that the game has thus far succeeded beyond their planned sales numbers.

...and when you look at lead times, books are short compared to miniatures - especially plastics.

Recall that the game was delayed by a year due to the popularity of Blood Bowl causing them opt for plastic models.

They generally have product lines ready at the least a year in advance. That's a poor excuse for no model support of Molech.

Assuming they planned for everything to be resin, and the popularity of the system is causing them to either wholly or partially reconsider that plan, then (unfortunately) a delay in releases is not unreasonable.

Would I prefer it to be otherwise - sure.

FW was able to support 30k largely in resin for most of he time it was a thing. They’ve got the capability to churn models out. If anything they are probably producing way less stuff than they did a couple of years back. Or I guess maybe they are selling way more resin stuff for necromunda and bloood bowl than I realised.

30K isn't a very good example. It came out long before the "new" GW and what seems like the integration of FW. Horus Heresy had been going a long time before the plastic kits were released (and the Armour Mks. had been going even longer).

If they want to reach a larger audience... which they do and they have... base models should probably be plastic with upgrades in resin and released via FW (please God no finecast).

I agree they should use plastic as much as possible . I’m just saying that they can produce pretty large amounts of resin if they want to.

I could certainly see a case for making acastus knights out of resin, for example. They’ll probably be a relatively low-volume thing that might not justify a plastic kit.

That said, they have made some pretty low-volume things, like the ambit, from plastic for other lines. So maybe they should stick with that.

I wish this came with more knights, even just the Acastus Porphyrion, and more background but I am getting immense pleasure out of the idea of titans having 'knife fighter' as a special rule. You got yer 80-foot robot in a leather jacket, stomping out its cigarette butt before whipping out a 10-foot switchblade and shanking you. A warhound then comes in with a flanking attack to break a pool cue over your back.

Edited by Sandlemad

Any idea what legio this is, that’s quite the color scheme

Interfector it seems, according to the Twitch stream report by LetsYouDown http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353596-doom-of-molech-supplement-discussion/?p=5281641

This slightly differs from the description given in the fandom wiki "The colours of the Legio Interfector are dark red with decorations in bronze." https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Legio_Interfector

I do like both. Eager to have the book in my hands.

I think this is accurate. There's reasonable evidence that their plans on supplement size and content changed from inception to product, and they've mentioned new hires for the Titanicus team at the Weekender and in streams. That some of their peripheral products (Knight terminals, transfers, upgrade sprues) keep going out of stock is another strong sign that they didn't expect the success it's had despite its wonky release schedule.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the stratagems and board environment rules in DoM were cut from the main rulebook or Titandeath only to find their way into this supplement.

Or pulled from a future release and put out "early" in Molech

They generally have product lines ready at the least a year in advance. That's a poor excuse for no model support of Molech.

Unless, if a year+ ago they weren't planning on releasing anything for Titanicus until late summer... Then decided ~8 months ago that they needed another release in between.

It would have been nice if the knight-focused book at least had the rules for the Acastus or the Mechanicum Questoris variants. With the need for terminals it's harder for them to put out rules ahead of models in this game than others.

Anyway, as someone who bought the GME on release and still has yet to complete a Titan, much less play a game, they can take their time a bit. I wish they would hurry up and show the Interfector rules, though!

Any idea what legio this is, that’s quite the color scheme

Interfector it seems, according to the Twitch stream report by LetsYouDown http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353596-doom-of-molech-supplement-discussion/?p=5281641

This slightly differs from the description given in the fandom wiki "The colours of the Legio Interfector are dark red with decorations in bronze." https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Legio_Interfector

I do like both. Eager to have the book in my hands.

On a similar note, based on the last WHC article (https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ATDoomOfMolech-Apr15-TitansArt8jve.jpg) it looks like SG might have changed the scheme for Legio Crucius? From a (post-heresy) black and white to a sort of indigo-tinged blue.

A lovely piece of art, all rain-slick armour panels, but can't say I'm crazy about the change. We already have 2-3 prominent blue or blue-adjacent titan legions and this new scheme is particularly close to Xestobiax. Crucius's stark monotone was quite distinctive and I know a number of AT folks have painted their titans up in it.

On a similar note, based on the last WHC article (https://whc-cdn.games-workshop.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/ATDoomOfMolech-Apr15-TitansArt8jve.jpg) it looks like SG might have changed the scheme for Legio Crucius? From a (post-heresy) black and white to a sort of indigo-tinged blue.

A lovely piece of art, all rain-slick armour panels, but can't say I'm crazy about the change. We already have 2-3 prominent blue or blue-adjacent titan legions and this new scheme is particularly close to Xestobiax. Crucius's stark monotone was quite distinctive and I know a number of AT folks have painted their titans up in it.

Indigo-tinged blue or the effect of the blue plasma and/or lightning reflected on glossy black panels? I'm leaning towards the latter. We'll see.

Edited by Mendi Warrior