Hobby and Mental Health. How do you cope?

CMDR_Welles

Although never having had major depression or long term MH issues, I often suffer some form of it when my band gets back from tour and I return back to the day job (even though im lucky enough to work in a job i enjoy). I often have a complete lack of motivation, and find it very hard to pick up a guitar for more than 5 minutes...even though I've literally just been having the best time doing so in the days/weeks previous, but as its not in a live environment... I get very burnt out.

As such i actually often do a lot of my hobbying in the downtime after tours (painting with some good songs on).

So i just wanted to say that peoples suggestions of trying other hobbies, even small/short term ones, id highly recommend.

I also force myself to get out and excercise. A swim or a walk a day does me the world of good. I positively HATE the gym, but also found a set of exercises to do at home with no equipment (loads of apps for this), and although it seems a chore at first..it really helped in my case.

P.S. Also just want to say how awesome it is to see such a supportive thread, and pass on congratulations to the OP on having the bravery to start the thread in the first place. I have/have had a lot of people very close to me in my life who have suffered various mental health issues. And having a space such as this where people can openly talk is fantastic to say the least. Massive thumbs up B&C. 

Hey I am an aspie, I find 40k very effective to relax I only read the books, I can't paint and the gaming side doesn't really interest me other then I like many of the models. I just keep busy and I don't have time to get depressed, I do tend to work too hard though.

Be careful; you might buried depressed feelings with work and being hurried now, but once you have time to relax (i.e. start to wander what you are supposed to do now, feeling lost and bored) it can resurface again. Hard.

Hey I am an aspie, I find 40k very effective to relax I only read the books, I can't paint and the gaming side doesn't really interest me other then I like many of the models. I just keep busy and I don't have time to get depressed, I do tend to work too hard though.

Be careful; you might buried depressed feelings with work and being hurried now, but once you have time to relax (i.e. start to wander what you are supposed to do now, feeling lost and bored) it can resurface again. Hard.

I don't really have depression, I'm just very shy in person until you get to know me that is and then you say I go full crazy.