Community Survey 2019

Sete

Well, they are still limited to their 13 great companies of the Great Crusade era instead of the 10 companies proposed by the codex astartes that was part of the deal made when each legion was divided into chapters between Leman Russ and Guillman. Also each company is an independent force, each with his own departments, pretty much a la Iron Hands clans.

Mostly, what I see is that they took some parts of the codex and forgo others (codex compliant chapters have 10 companies, with elements of all departments such the chaplaincy, librarium, armory... In this case SW having 13 -12 for the most part of the last 10 milleniums and having a combined chaplaincy+apothecarion-). I find it closer to the codex astartes (although distorted) than us (BT's organisation is perhaps the most simple of all chapters:

-High Marshal directing the entire chapter

-Crusades, lead by Marshals and Castellans picked from the sword brethen which are appointed to lead ad-hoc fighting companies for the ongoing crusades with elements of the Apothecarion, Chaplaincy, Armory, and then Crusader Squads with Initiates and Neophytes

But in short, the only formal organisation of the BTs are the high marshal, sword brethen, apothecarion, chaplaincy, armory and the main body of crusader squads.

So yes, between the organisation of the SW, and the full ad-hoc fighting companies that are created specifically for each crusade, taking elements from all departments of the chapter and then disbanded to be available for further crusades, I'd say that BT are more divergent than SW.

Edit: fixed some wrongs on my part

That's a... different way of looking at it. The Black Templars were formed to bring the Imperial Fists into compliance with the Codex, even if it was a malicious compliance on the part of Dorn. The Space Wolves rejected the Codex entirely and still function closer to a Legion.

Archived