Showcase: True Scale Astartes

Luna707

Space Wolf in Mk.III with heavy bolter:

IMG_0312.JPG

I decided that my ongoing efforts with building a Vlka Fenryka hunter-pack, might require some on-the-move fire support. A heavy bolter seemed the obvious choice, not least because I could easily imagine it having greater utility in close confines of ship's corridors and such; as well as, I think, some pretty great Space Wolf Long Fang art from many an edition ago. 

The running legs [grave warden terminators] added a very nice sense of motion to the miniature, to counterbalance what would otherwise be a static presumption of a heavy weapon, and keep the 'active hunter'/stalker/pursuer vibe-theme going. I'm genuinely very pleased with how well it's gone with the bulky heavy bolter - it gives the visual impression of , almost , a transhuman-dread 'sledgehammer-glacier' battering-ram-jogging-tank; particularly with that open-mouthed, bearded head on a slight tilt and orientation. *Exactly* what a VIth Marine should be!

IMG_0313.JPG

Something I'm rather taken with on this miniature, is the way that the Mk.III + Space Wolf aesthetic, means that he doesn't seem entirely restricted to the Heresy-era. I could see him turning up in later periods without too much squinting at all. It's also been very legit how the head goes with the rest of the miniature - I've been somewhat leery of bare-headed Astartes all up, and some of the Space Wolves sprue heads in particular, which have almost seemed 'cartoonish' in characterization. But with both the Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir, and some of my more recent Wolves, I've started branching out - and it's actually turned out pretty decent! Although I'm *still* yet to find a way to actually photograph the incredibly fine glowing-green eyes I keep adding!

IMG_0314.JPG

He's also in possession of a bit more of an 'ornate' look than a lot of the previous Wolves I've done [well, all three of them] for this project; utilizing actual gold rather than the more brassy, bronzy look ... but also, multiple different kinds of metallic ornamentation [including copper-and-steel on the Mk.III backpack, not that it's hugely obvious from these shots]. This means that he's in some ways quite visually different from the other three ... but if any Astartes force is going to have individual heroes who're equipped as exactly that, it'd have to be the VIth. 

IMG_0315.JPG

Finally, what was holding up this miniature for *ages* [seriously, literally months], was that I couldn't quite work out where to place the grenades. I'm a general believer in putting everything onto a miniature which it 'should have', so to speak - and have always endeavoured to model my Truescale Astartes as if they really are capable of doing just about anything, each, regardless of their designated specialization. So heavy weapons Marines nevertheless have close combat weapons and sidearms; pretty much all have stowage [including, as we can see here, a pouch [cut-down Guard one, partially for reasons of space, partially because they're an interesting alternative to the Primaris etc. ones I've often otherwise used, and the large 'button'], and the heavy bolter additional ammunition mounted under the power-pack]; and very frequently, grenades are also pointedly equipped. Preferably in places that all of the above are 'realistically' accessible and utilizable by the Astartes in question. Which can create some 'interesting situations' - c.f the Salamander I previously did, with his thunder hammer. 

After trying out a number of different possibilities with various different sorts of grenades [i've been quite taken with Van Saar grenades of late, because they have an obvious maglock or something mechanism, as well as looking pretty high-tech, generally; however, I've also occasionally utilized those massive Goliath 'potato-masher' style stick-grenades, because they're honestly an *excellent* idea given a Marine's size, and the WWI elements for some of what I've been doing previously; and while the plastic Heresy era grenades remain great for Marines, because of the larger size and panelling, shortages relative to my output [also something-something Primaris kits not having grenades, and a shortage of sheathed combat blades!] has often meant i've been dipping into Guard kits to find grenades .. which hasn't always been ideal. ], I eventually settled on an Orlock selection - one each of frag, krak, and what I presume is a smoke-grenade or det-charge. Perfect for some spec-ops-ery. And then mounted it on webbing I built over the pistol holster [another gripe - one can never have too many Astartes-sized holstered sidearms! Also, the Primaris-sized ones are pleasingly *huge* ... looking like the bearer can probably cave in a skull just by hitting somebody with it, without even drawing it - which, given Astartes strength, is probably *exactly* the case], rather than my earlier experimentation wth the left thigh-plate [i uh .. i figured that incoming fire would most likely be hitting the Marine on the left-hand side - hence the mono-molecular studs and such on Mk.V and VI armours, etc. - so therefore would have had a chance of prematurely cooking off the grenades, if he got hit there ... so hence, mounted on the other side]. 

This is also, apropos of nothing in particular, the first time I've done a ginger-haired miniature, I think. Something about him just seemed to demand it. Very Germanic looking, as a result. I've traditionally tended much more towards dark hair colourations - for various reasons, including the arguable over-representation of Indian skin-tones in my output [although interesting fact, there's actually a not insignificant proportion of red hair naturally occurring in North(West) Indian Brahmin populations], and the frequent rather dark or stark colours of the Astartes plate armours in question [not sure, for instance, how well ginger hair would go with the gleaming steel of my Iron Warriors, for instance]. I've had varied success with blond hair colours more recently, as well - and, now that i think about it, the first [Heresy-era] Wolf we ever did was done blond; but ginger and red have been a lot harder to get right - there's a Haunting Harii of Hvergelmir destroyer who's been sitting half-finished himself for months, as a result. 

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Good to finally get this chap painted and posted! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
All the building is done!

Finished my Bjorn conversion, 10 true scale blood claws/deathsworn, the rework of my wulfen pack leader and finished 10 more torsos for a squad of grey hunters as soon as I procure 10 more pairs of true scale legs:

I7McGT8.jpg

9JeJPBy.jpg

9iv5wlo.jpg

S11FACH.jpggQvIPWl.jpg

And detail on the legs of the conversion:

6KZ64en.jpg

Primaris for scale:

E8z7TRA.jpg

Edited by Jackalwolf

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Here're a few details of my contributions – some quite old!:

190th Company squad

s.jpg

Remnants of the Word Bearers

w.jpg

Astral Claws' Killteam Clawthorn

d.jpg

2nd ed. retrohammer Blood Angels, including Terminator

aa.jpg

Another approach to Blood Angels

IMG_4175.JPG

Novamarine Captain

IMG_4681.JPG

Last of the Scarlet Blades

sebh.jpg

Gatebreaker

e.jpg

White Scar

c.jpg

Salamander

IMG_0089.JPG

Castigator

y.jpg

...a few more...

Iron Warriors

CjarnD%2BERalph.JPG

n.jpg

IMG_2695.JPG

Sons of Horus

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Alpha Legion

IMG_4081.JPG

Iron Hands[/b

8.jpg

Tithonus, May He Live Forever

IMG_4102.JPG

Young Holion, and a refugee

IMG_4386.JPG

IMG_4385.JPG

Ultramarines

a.jpg

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_4023.JPG

Edited by apologist

...and the army shots:

Praetors of Calth: 15th Chapter and 190th Company

IMG_2244.JPG

Officio Monstrosa, Iron Warriors

h.jpg

Night Lords

c.jpg

...and some random scenics, for fun:

An embiggened Guilliman and some of his Legion

t.jpg

Word Bearers clash with Imperial Fists

g.jpg

Captain Tycho's Blood Angels take on the infidious Eldar

f.jpg

Zaricus Cjarn of the IVth takes on the Imperial Fists on Terra

Cjarn_ActionScene.jpg

Officio Monstrosa on the march

t.jpg

8.jpg

Lieutenant Holion

a.jpg

Ultramarines on Crusade

IMG_4512.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

IMG_2256.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

Dang Apologist, I thought I had seen most of your works on the different threads around here, but I must have missed some. Top notch stuff all around, but that is no surprise at this stage. I hope some day you expand a bit more the Iron Hands project, I remember awaiting updates on it because I loved both the miniatures and the narrative. Then again, I'm sure whatever you come up next will be a joy to see and read anyways :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

First group of Adamanticores for this thread. The Unyielding Adamanticores can also be found (in greater numbers), in the original thread (still ongoing) focusing on  their M37/M38 iteration at the height of their glory, as well as their post-41st millennium incarnation in the form of the Dead Stars initiative

IMG_5596.JPG

IMG_5597.JPG

IMG_5598.JPG

IMG_5599.JPG

I may also get around to doing a more .. cohesive and unified fluff writeup for this year's Liber challenge-series. We'll see what happens. 

There's also at least a dozen more that're painted (and in fact have been painted for some months or even years now) awaiting photography - however I thought I'd start with some of the most recent. 

The last two are in mostly Mk.X armour, but are indeed truescales [at least fluff-wise] rather than Primaris. Long story. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The KalAdharastine Bhairava - Nemesis Kapalika

IMG_0172.JPG

Amidst the many specialized sects and warrior-fraternities of both the Adamanticores and Old Adamantine folk-religion alike (for one was suitably indistinguishable from the other), the exaltation of Law was a common fixation. Yet whilst the 'Iron Masks' pursued the maintenance of civic order, and the Heshrpandits upheld the genomic excellence required for the Realm of Adamantia's fated purpose as Astartes fortress-womb ... the KalAdharastines (occasionally Gothicized as 'Kal-Adrastines') were different. 

IMG_0173.JPG

A grim-faced order of terrific killers, their name meant something akin to 'The Blade / Leading Edge / Hand of Kaal' - Kaal being an Old Adamantine theonym for a deity of both Time and Death and bearing the Black colouration of the Dark Night. With slight alteration of inflection, it could also be interpreted to mean 'The Skillful in the Craft', implicitly of Death; and when calqued into the Yavanite languages to Adamantia's West it became 'Kal-Adrastines': understood there as "The Inescapable Kal". 

Leaving aside that "Kal" could also mean 'Beauty' in those latter languages, the "Inescapable Kaal" conveyed the underlying sense to the KalAdharastas' self-designation. For just as with Time and Death, they were held to be implacable - seeming to be outright 'inevitable' in their pursuit and eventual taking of their prey. 

Whereas various of those other orders aforementioned focused upon combating generalized threats to the Order of Adamantia , the KalAdharastas took as their mission the targeting and elimination of specific and often highly individual opponents to same.

Each particular sub-order specialized in a different form of approach - some favouring the subtlety of stealth or the far-reaching grasp of long-range precision-kills as their particular forms of tribute to the All-Enfolding Death-That-Is-Night. Particularly adroit KalAdharastas would eventually begin to combine to their taste disciplines drawn from multiple of these traditions, becoming truly terrifying masters of the deadly administration of Justice's Harsh Hand. Demarcated from their fellows by bearing an ever-lengthening series of sobriquets alluding to the ways and means with which they could cast their sacred sanction upon Adamantia's foes. 

The specialization of the Kapalika was, as the name implies, in 'Headtaking'; with the 'Bhairava' cognomen of this particular Adamantine avenger indicating a focus also upon terror. Justice, in other words, being seen to be done - and the psychological affect being generated by the coldly implacable manner of the Astartes stalking forward with the inavoidability of Dusk towards the end of life's day; the massive eviscerator chainblade sweeping down like Night's sudden twilight fall. 

The 'Kapalika' affiliation of the Astartes is also declared not only via the two partially-flensed skulls that he carries in his right hand, but also by the servo-skull units slaved to his armour, that assist with the operation of certain arcane devices mounted upon his back. 

Meanwhile, the Cog-Wheel device represents a not uncommon escutcheon for the KalAdharastas - as it is thought to symbolize the inexorable, regular expression of the Law : the central wheel about which all else turns in motion as a result. And hence, once again, the inevitable cycle via which Night follows Day - and the KalAdharasta pursues his quarry til its dissolution. Declaring to would-be usurpers that they shall be ground down between the indefatigable gear-teeth of Order in recompense for their having sought to defy and oppose Reality Itself. 

History does not record with any great certainty what became of many of the KalAdharastas following the Fall of Adamantia. It is generally presumed that they, along with their Adamanticore brethren, died fighting 'gainst the forces which, with their own seeming inevitability of entropy, sought to lay the stellar domain of Adamantia low. What few remained must have, in a fitting bout of irony, have faded away into the dark obscuring mists of time - or else disappeared into the blackness which lingers betwixt the stars. 

However, some suggest that their influence lingers still. Analysis of several of the Adamantine Old Faith cults in operation over recent millennia suggest that these have gradually developed features of increasing resemblance to those of known KalAdharasta denominations. It should not take an unreasonably paranoid mind to postulate that these sects may be being actively 'guided' by the embodied Spirits of Vengeance whom they strive to emulate. 

Perhaps the wheels remain in motion. And perhaps the return of Darkness is merely one bright day away. 

---

Now, I should note that I can't actually take credit for the conversion-work on this beauty - that was my longstanding collaborator, Umbral's handiwork. 

I should also get around to posting the rest of the Unyielding Adamanticores that I've done in this thread at some point.

In the mean-time, you can check various them , and some sort of fluff / Indo-European mythology & linguistics overload , at Vox Stellarum: Hara Barazaiti

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Brother Temrik - The Wanderer

Son of Caliban, Astartes, Dark Angel, Firewing, Fallen, Blackshield

Loyal

984.M40. Last seen accompanying Ordo Malleus Inquisitor Icarus Var involved in conflict with the Ordo Hereticus Puritan Inquisitor Bartholemu Speare. Current location unknown.

3j937Qf.png

EV38AwQ.png