Assassins - Officio Venenum and Vanus - House Rules

So I have been thinking it would be super cool to include these two into the 40k universe in game, and in both instances I think it could be done in a fun quirky way. I feel both should be support-type characters, who you would select to augment your force rather than for their killing power alone.

Here are my takes on some House Rule Profiles to try them out:

Note - I have added the rule "Secondary Temple" which restricts only one of these operatives ever being deployed at once.

Venenum Assassin 85pts

(Standard Profile) 

Wargear: 

Necrosial Blade - imbued with toxins derived from the venom of specially bred carnivorous flora located within the dungeon-crypts of the Venenum Temple on Terra these blades attack the neural systems of a victim with instant effect. 

(Profile - Melee, S - user, AP -1, D3, Ability - wounds non-vehicle models on a 2+, if a model takes a wound its toughness is reduced by 1 for the following round) 

Needle Pistol 

(Profile - Pistol 1 Range 12", S1, AP 0, D1, Ability - wounds non-vehicle models on a 2+) 

Rules: Independent Operative, Lightning Reflexes, Secondary Temple 

Lethal Assistance - Target an allied infantry character, whilst the Venenum Assassin remains alive the targeted character's attacks in close combat improve their role to wound by 1 (to a maximum of 2).

Timed Toxins - (once per game) select an enemy character on the table after turn 1. Roll a D6: if on turn 2 a 5+ is needed, if turn 3 a 4+ is needed, if turn 4 a 3+ is needed to activate. If successful the Target suffers a mortal wound and is reduced to hitting last in combat for the remainder of that turn.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vanus Assassin 85pts

(standard profile) 

Wargear: 

Kinetic Destroyer - Originating from the same forges that supply the Adeptus Custodes, these Terran artifact-pistols are worth more than many small planets, and their use amongst Vanus Assassins reveals the high regard that the Custodes hold this Temple for their manipulation of knowledge and understanding of how to bring down the enemies of the Emperor with it.

(Profile Pistol 2 Range 18", S6 AP -2, D2 Ability - When resolving attacks an unmodified roll of 6 scores 1 additional hit)

Rules: Independent Operative, Lightning Reflexes, Secondary Temple 

Infocyte Machine Spirit - highly intelligent machine spirits aid the Vanus Assassin in assessing the flow of information around a target, allowing him to filter huge amounts of data from the noosphere, datapads, radio, audio and other cues around a target, allowing them to manipulate the flow of this information and wreck havoc around them. In filtering all this information every Vanus Assassin runs the risk of overloading even their finely tuned minds resulting in potential devastation to themselves. 

Once per turn a Vanus Assassin can attempt to steal D3 Command Points from your opponent. Roll a D6 (no modifiers), on a roll of 4+ he is successful. On a roll of 1 he immediately suffers a mortal wound.

In addition, every time your opponent wants utilizes a command point roll a D6, on a 5+ they are unable to utilize those command points. 

Advanced Logistics - Select an infantry unit at the end of the deployment phase. This unit can be redeployed anywhere on the board up to 9" away from any opponent, but must be out of line of sight. 

What do you think? 

I like the Venenum rules, although I might add a rule to the CC weapon, something like if the character suffers and unsaved wound their S/T/A/M characteristics are reduced by 1 for the following turn to represent the poison.

I’m afraid I wouldn’t use the vanus one though. His ability just doesn’t seem worth 85 points. One random chance to steal a random number of CP is just too random. There’s a 50% chance he’ll never pull it off and you’ve paid 85 points for a nice pistol. Stealing CP or messing with stratagems is definitely a good idea but it needs to be more reliable.

I like the Venenum rules, although I might add a rule to the CC weapon, something like if the character suffers and unsaved wound their S/T/A/M characteristics are reduced by 1 for the following turn to represent the poison.

I’m afraid I wouldn’t use the vanus one though. His ability just doesn’t seem worth 85 points. One random chance to steal a random number of CP is just too random. There’s a 50% chance he’ll never pull it off and you’ve paid 85 points for a nice pistol. Stealing CP or messing with stratagems is definitely a good idea but it needs to be more reliable.

Ok Updated with some tweaks, thoughts?

The venenum one seems great now, I’d definitely take one in a game now.

I’m still not sure about the Vanus, I think that new ability might’ve gone too far the other way and made him a bit too good. He’s now got a 33% chance to neutralise every stratagem he opponent plays. I might change that aspect of it to be more like ‘Once per turn, when your opponent uses a universal stratagem, roll a dice. On a 5+ you may use the same stratagem for free in your next turn.’

issue with the Vanus is that they now step on the toes of the callidus... & do it better!

Personally I'd make the Vanus interfear with reservers.... when your opponet wants to bring a unit on the table from reservers rolla D6, on a 1 or 2 no effect, on a 3-5 you increase the minimum distance they can be to a enemy unit.  on a 6 they are delayed, and cant come on this turn.  If the unit must arrive this turn (for example turn 3, or a summoned unit) then it instead takes D6 S8 AP -3 D3 hits

Another option would be an ability to either reduce a characters aura buff to half range until the next turn or to remove a single buffing ability from an enemy character entirely for a turn/battleround. Though that second one should probably be a once per game thing, as I imagine it can be pretty nasty if used against the right target.

• 2 weeks later...

If they have to have rules, I like your interpretations, but... Honestly, I really like the notion that not all Imperial Assassins actually show up on battlefields. Vanus assassins are data analysts and Venenum assassins sneak into kitchens to drop poison into cookpots. 

The universe feels larger and richer when there are things in it that don't have any relevance to large battles. 

If they have to have rules, I like your interpretations, but... Honestly, I really like the notion that not all Imperial Assassins actually show up on battlefields. Vanus assassins are data analysts and Venenum assassins sneak into kitchens to drop poison into cookpots. 

The universe feels larger and richer when there are things in it that don't have any relevance to large battles. 

Yea that is true, was more just for fun options, I quite like making options for wider fluff stuff that doesn't exist in game yet for interest, but I agree, they certainly aren't super necessary.

Archived