The Ouroboros Crusade. Old to new, the Crusade continues.

Eberious

Bro, these conversions are absolutely sick! I fancy myself as a decent painter, but your greenstuff work is absolutely phenomenal. Really inspirational and does the Templars justice on a whole nother level. Absolutely jealous of your conversion work, and saw a few things I am going to try to replicate on my Crimson Fists. Keep it coming, WELL DONE!

Edit: Spelling errors corrected.

Edited by Brother Eleysium

:jawdrop:

Holy crap those Dreadnoughts. The Chaplain one is amazing, but the other Redemptor is just.... Beautiful.

How hard/easy was it to make the bases for your guys? And how'd you get the plasticard to look like flagstones?

Asking because I like them and want to do ones like that for my own Templars.

Edited by Gederas

Thank you all, 

@Chazzmos, Basic. I work with 1.5mm sheets in general as not to thick and not to flimsy. To keep a uniform look on the tiles always measure and plot where to cut out, other parts and the small tiles I tend to measure by eye. To get the angled edges on the tiles I use my knife 'side on'(like you were getting rid of mold lines) to scrape at the side then file to smooth, and the use the tip to score the cracks and the like into it. Not really sure what else I can say to be honest.

The sword is made from milliputt though molded by using a bluestuff mold of the original. Might attempt making one from plasticard one day though.

:jawdrop:

Holy crap those Dreadnoughts. The Chaplain one is amazing, but the other Redemptor is just.... Beautiful.

How hard/easy was it to make the bases for your guys? And how'd you get the plasticard to look like flagstones?

Asking because I like them and want to do ones like that for my own Templars.

@Gederas - Maybe this helps with your question about the flagstones?

Many thanks everyone whos commented and liked. It's appreciated. 

@Gederas, I love, love doing bases. The hardest part is thinking of what I want it to look like, and can take a while to make. The Chaplain base probably took 8 hours of work .. maybe. But thinking of looks, how the model will sit on it, changes, new ideas... extends the overall build time. I find it easy not to sound like a donkey, but I've done this stuff for years and years. 

Sometimes I'll get the measurements wrong on the tiles and they'll turn out wonky/different sizes, I'll use what I can then make more.  

@Cathar the great, many thanks, and once a Black Templar always a Black Templar ;)  . I've tried to stray once or twice but never lasts more then a month before all the DIY chapters get turned into BT's. I'm fast running out of space as I still have my ocean of first born(are we calling non-priamaris marines that nowadays?) warriors clad in the blackest of black armour on display. Ready for crusading.    

And yes, I'm likely going to do a Helbrecht, Grimaldus, likely another EC. And will be doing a few classic metal models in primaris form. Like the Marshal with the combi bolter/melta gun and power axe. Stuff like that. But I'm guessing I'm going to have to stay away from Draco now.....   Also going to do a few home brew IC's that are in my older collection as well. 

I have to echo the things people have already said - these are gorgeous conversions! The plasma-hammer dread is so inspirational that it might be illegal!

I was so impressed when I saw these. The emperor's champions conversions in particular have really made me see how the new primaris marines can be made to look good - I wasn't entirely sold on them before.

I am sorry if you have already answered this, I didn't see it in the thread - how did you build the arched backplate for the plasma dread? It looks like a combination of a gothic window piece, plasticard and greenstuff. How did you alter the plasticard to get the curve in that it seems to have? Did you use heat to alter that as well as you mentioned doing for the tabards. I haven't tried heating plasticard but it looks like yours is really smoothly altered and almost like it's originally got a curve in it?

Two thumbs up!

Edited by AstralPanda

No worries. It's not been asked or answered. 

I used a turret base off the StormRraven, had some filing to get it to fit better. The front arch bit is a window from the old Cities of Death kits. Forget the name of the type of building. Cut away the rest of the panel keeping the arch(rest kept for rubble). The two bits sit fairly well after a slight filing. 

The back venting is plasticard with the vents off the dreadnought missile launcher. 

The top plasticard bit I just bent carefully using the edge of the desk, pliers and a thick modelling knife grip to give it a slight curve, cut and filed and tested fitted along the way(no heat used). I think the two bits that make up the top are the 2nd or 3rd attempt. Have to point out here that the top bit is meant to represent a hatch, which opens(in imagination land) to allow the missile launcher to shoot.  

At the decoration stage, I just stuck the greenstuff details to the areas. 

Well I got sick of waiting for GW to do me a favour and make Primaris Crusaders, or at least close combat Intercessors. So I got started on the first of possibly three squads, two of which I'm planning to be full squads. Knocked this one last night.

tXinFhy.jpg

dBbpix0.jpg

8waVufv.jpg

BT bolt pistols at the ready. Using the old BT ones for obvious reasons, and that they are actually bigger than the Primaris side arm. Can't get around why the primaris gun and magazine is so small. but meh, no problem.

BCyAoWf.jpg

The Dreadnoughts are incredible conversions -- you could look at them for a long time and keep finding new stuff! The remains of the "pilot" on the finished model are brilliant, and the Chaplain Dread reminds me of the scratchbuilt/kitbashed Heresy era Dreadnoughts Dave Taylor built for his seminal Custodes army back in the day -- and that's a huge compliment ;)

I also really love the Emperor's Champion! Such an elegant conversion, and it's instantly clear what the model is supposed to represent.

Many thanks KrautScientist, I remember that dreadnought, good times. And that's what I like to achieve, enough details to keep the eye busy, but not to much to overload it. So it's good to hear that's possibly been achieved. :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Since GW has missed a golden opportunity to give us Templars what we want, I've decided to wait no longer.

Crusaders! 

YFnMfKR.jpg

My two favourite from the bunch.

u3GoLEf.jpg

Sword Brethren.

71avFkF.jpg

TiyF9Wd.jpg

ZTerne2.jpg

Gwx4xqs.jpg

Been keeping this bare head for 2 years waiting for a moment to use it here. Well, I also lost it for a while which didn't help. But wanted it for my Crusaders as the hood with the psyker stuff removed reminds me of a arming hood.

cvsFxgn.jpg

5OgvvZS.jpg

T2Xk6Mg.jpg

QxqQVbV.jpg

Converted a bolt rifle into melta gun.
qXPJ4wH.jpg

Hmm, actually forgot to give him a CC weapon, just for looks. Will be added before painting.

A snippet of the next Knight, upon a mighty steed. In the hope of Primaris grav bikers, if it even happens, and just for funsies! 

yAL62uo.jpg

A study in movement :)
Fantastic job! Posing is great as is your signature GS-work. The melta is simple, but catches all the awesomeness of that weapon.

Also the Wolverine-guy is a nice redo of the classic sculpt. And I totally agree on the arming hood vibes from the helmetless brother.
Big thumbs-up from me! :D

Many thanks all. :)

@ Tyrannicide, the plan is to make 2-3 squads of Crusaders with CC weapons and bolt pistols, including their Neophytes...when the budget allows it. Probably about 5-7 Neophytes a squad. 

Another Crusader squad or two of mixed cc and ranged led by a 4th and 5th Sword brethren leader. That way I've got five Sword Brethren to combine into their own unit when needed, just a fluffy thing for myself type of thing unless actual SB units come back.

The rest of the troops will be shooty guys. Two Primaris style ranged squads of which I have one already.  

I got the box deal with like 30 guys, and the box before that with .... well I have lots of Primaris troops, lol.  

I don't play to often(about a year and a half now :( ) due to no time at all to do so. So I'm all about the hobby, collecting, modelling and painting. In case anyone is thinking that's a lot. ;) 

@Majkhel, you picked up on that. I tried to see about copying the pose but it evolved into what I got. I was going to model each Sword Brethren based on the old metal ones in regards to weapon load outs, but game wise and unit wise will make sense to arm them with some fancy weapons the unit otherwise doesn't have access to.