Bringers of Dispair - how to make terminators work

Just went to the New Zealand site to look at the sprew, the combi-weapons are the half-and-half versions.

Do they look compatible with any of the plastic 30k terminator combi weapon bits?

Otherwise, much as fw has usable,if tragically less badass, rotor cannons to use for your havocs, at leadt once they're back in stock, they also have packs of chain axes. Is an option at least.

Edit: much as the havok box has two of every heavy weapon except probably the most popular option, where it only has one, so too does the terminator box have two of each special combi weapon except for probably the most popular of them. Ie, two combi melta halves, and two combi flamer halves, but only one combi plasma half.

Again, though, at least there are enough badic combi bolters for the whole squad this time around? Lack of chain axes remains frustrating, though.

I'm in slow motion right now, but please give me a little time and I promise that I'll be making some Chaos bits and gear in the near future. Life has been pulling me in a few directions the last while, but it's finally settling down and my focus is returning to the studio. Chaos will always be my first muse and where my main efforts will concentrate, but I was biding my time waiting for GW to do this release so I can get a good feel for where they're taking the rank-and-file Chaos Marines. High on my list are Chain Axes and other combat weapons, Combi-weapons, a conversion kit for Reapers from Bolters/Autos, and I'm very tempted to make this an opportunity to try and model some form of cultists but I'm not sure if I want to do something that ambitious yet, especially when there are Necromunda gangs that make such great base models. Still pondering what gaps I can fill really, but I'll have a better idea when I sit down and start making new lists. It's been a few years since I really focused on how to construct a Chaos list and it's a new hobby ecosystem.

Well, my personal choice would be to bring back your old predator trim - the new stuff is nice, but it alters the shape of the turret in a manner that isn't to my own taste.  As well, is the rhino trim you have on your store the same as that which was up when you had the old predator trim?

As you might have guessed, I really like your tank trim. :)  But I look forward to whatever you do.  

A redesign of the old 'Heavy' armour is already on the 3D drawing board, but I wanted to get the lighter spaced armour done as something that can work well on the Rhino and Predator Chassis. The one challenge will be making some of the larger components which are bigger than I can print in one go so I'll need to cut things down into subsections and piece them together before mould making. Not impossible, but it adds to the complexity of the design. I'm trying to get most of the smaller more straight forward redesigns and a first round of kits done right now to get a broader selection on the shelves, as I build up to making bigger things, and in some cases muuuch bigger. That and get my butt casting again, because yeah, ideas are great but they're just vapour until the polyurethane is curing in the mould at 80 PSI. thanks for the feedback and the encouragement.

Well, this just in.  The kit comes with 1 chainaxe, 1 chainfist, 1 power sword, 1 power axe, 1 power maul, 2 powerfists, 2 lightning claws, 1 heavy flamer, 1 reaper autocannon, 5 combi-weapons (one of each special type, 5 combi-bolters).

So once again, they give a kit with variety and not enough to even build a basic loadout out of the box. :cuss :cuss :cuss

I just saw this myself. I’m totally blown away. The Havoks were disappointing but I’m not going for the Termies unless I hunt down 5 chain axes. The loadout is horrid. This just seems incredibly greedy on GWs part.

I'm in slow motion right now, but please give me a little time and I promise that I'll be making some Chaos bits and gear in the near future. Life has been pulling me in a few directions the last while, but it's finally settling down and my focus is returning to the studio. Chaos will always be my first muse and where my main efforts will concentrate, but I was biding my time waiting for GW to do this release so I can get a good feel for where they're taking the rank-and-file Chaos Marines. High on my list are Chain Axes and other combat weapons, Combi-weapons, a conversion kit for Reapers from Bolters/Autos, and I'm very tempted to make this an opportunity to try and model some form of cultists but I'm not sure if I want to do something that ambitious yet, especially when there are Necromunda gangs that make such great base models. Still pondering what gaps I can fill really, but I'll have a better idea when I sit down and start making new lists. It's been a few years since I really focused on how to construct a Chaos list and it's a new hobby ecosystem.

I was going to hold off a week or two to look for bits so I'll keep an eye on your website to see if you've gotten to it. Personally I am interested in buying combi-bolters for the terminators which are set up to be easily magnetized so you can just swap out the left gun to switch between Combi-bolters, combi-plasma, etc. You can do that perfectly with the new GW kit except they only give you one plasma left gun bit and two of each of the others so you are SOL. I don't want to just buy pop goes the monkey or other bits because then I have to magnetize the whole gun or hand, and I want to paint the same arm and hand and gun and just swap out the left weapons!

If you make a solution soon that looks like the new Combi gun kits but with all the options available, I can promise I'll promote the hell out of it on my 1800+ follower Facebook page and my 2200+ follower Instagram page.

If you make

Here's the rub, I can and can't do what you ask. *Record scraaatchhh!!*

Here's what I mean.

I can do something, but it can't be too close of a copy of what GW has created. I have to take the look and style of the entire range and do my own take on anything I create. I'm not interested in making direct copies of GWs components, and it's just painting a target on my back if I'm not careful about IP. I'm thinking an over-under solution or maybe something staggered. I'm not a fan of the ammo belts so it's all be drum/auto fed. I want to put the Bolter on both sides if it does end up side-by-side to suit either hand. And yes, I do most of my designs with magnets in mind and they're always included in the final kit. But, I really need a kit in my hands so I can make something that fits the scale perfectly. I'll likely be getting at least one of most of the stand-alone kits for both personal and studio use.

This is very good. I think this is just the reason I need to get a fire lit again. Mmm... so good to be bad. Time to start making some Dark ideas real.

Well, this just in. The kit comes with 1 chainaxe, 1 chainfist, 1 power sword, 1 power axe, 1 power maul, 2 powerfists, 2 lightning claws, 1 heavy flamer, 1 reaper autocannon, 5 combi-weapons (one of each special type, 5 combi-bolters).

So once again, they give a kit with variety and not enough to even build a basic loadout out of the box. :censored::censored::censored:

No way! No :cuss ing way!

This is nothing short of a kick in the teeth!

I mean, limited special options I get.  Always has been the case.  But limited DEFAULT LOADOUT?  You have got to be freaking kidding.

If GW were smart, they would sell an upgrade pack that filled out the options within reason.  So like for this kit, the upgrade pack would idk like $20-30 (USD) and fill out the most common options e.g. 4 Chainaxes, 3 Combi-Melta/Flamer, 4 Combi-Plasma, etc.so the idea is you buy the box, buy the upgrade box and you have a complete squad mostly (in some cases it might not work out that way like if you wanted to give everyone dual claws, you might need two upgrade boxes because that's a lot of lightning claws).  You would pay more, but it would be a package purchase.

Instead, this just generates anger towards GW and funnels people's money to Forgeworld or, more likely, third party stuff like Kromlech or 3D printed stuff.  They lose a lot for no real gain.

I mean, limited special options I get. Always has been the case. But limited DEFAULT LOADOUT? You have got to be freaking kidding.

If GW were smart, they would sell an upgrade pack that filled out the options within reason. So like for this kit, the upgrade pack would idk like $20-30 (USD) and fill out the most common options e.g. 4 Chainaxes, 3 Combi-Melta/Flamer, 4 Combi-Plasma, etc.so the idea is you buy the box, buy the upgrade box and you have a complete squad mostly (in some cases it might not work out that way like if you wanted to give everyone dual claws, you might need two upgrade boxes because that's a lot of lightning claws). You would pay more, but it would be a package purchase.

Instead, this just generates anger towards GW and funnels people's money to Forgeworld or, more likely, third party stuff like Kromlech or 3D printed stuff. They lose a lot for no real gain.

Although this would fix load out problems it would still generate a lot of anger. I just bought a £35 kit but to field the BASIC option I have to spend an extra £10 :/

This is just a greedy cash grab without even being subtle. I get gw ate a business that's goal is to make money but not to the detriment of your consumer.

This has soured what was a magical release.

However, trying to be positive about this here's an almost barebones squad idea I just whipped up, it's like 20 points more than all chainaxes (less if you drop the Autocannon but I like it) and IMHO would look cooler, and you can make it out of one kit.

Chaos Terminators (174)

- Terminator Champion: Combi-Bolter, Power Axe (33)
- Terminator: Combi-Bolter, Lightning Claw (36)
- Terminator: Combi-Bolter, Lightning Claw (36)
- Terminator: Combi-Bolter, Chainaxe (29)
- Terminator: Reaper Autocannon, Power Maul (40)

I'm in slow motion right now, but please give me a little time and I promise that I'll be making some Chaos bits and gear in the near future.

I'm very excited for any new options you might come up with, especially if the combi weapon, chain axe, & rotor cannon variety. That and I'm sure there are plenty of chaos players eagerly awaiting restocks on your existing range of vehicle trim & accessory bits.

If you can acquire spare chain axe heads (maybe old zerker sprues?) it should be a simple matter to convert the power axe & maul into chain axes, for three per box, leaving maybe one fist and one sword or claw?

If you can acquire spare chain axe heads (maybe old zerker sprues?) it should be a simple matter to convert the power axe & maul into chain axes, for three per box, leaving maybe one fist and one sword or claw?

Converting or acquiring bits doesn't bother me. One of my biggest issues is the chain ax3 in the set looks awesome! I'd loved to have seen more along the same aesthetic.

Subtle can't wait to see your stuff.

I went and ordered one box anyways, perhaps against my better judgment.  Going to do the loadout I said above.  Worse comes to worst for casual games here I can just say "These terminators all have combi-bolters and chainaxes" and nobody will care.

I've ordered two boxes of the new Chaos Terminators.  I plan to field them as Abaddon's elite killers, the Bringers of Despair.  Because they will be representing Abaddon's chosen champions and personal bodyguard, I will not be going the points-efficient route of combi-bolters and chainaxes.  it may be more optimal from a points perspective, but there is no way that Abaddon's  champions would just have the minimal basic gear.  Instead, I'm going to have each model armed differently, representing that individual champion's personal wargear preferences.  I know it won't be super optimal, but it is more fluffy that way, in my view.  

Here's the rub, I can and can't do what you ask. *Record scraaatchhh!!*

Here's what I mean.

I can do something, but it can't be too close of a copy of what GW has created. I have to take the look and style of the entire range and do my own take on anything I create. I'm not interested in making direct copies of GWs components, and it's just painting a target on my back if I'm not careful about IP. I'm thinking an over-under solution or maybe something staggered. I'm not a fan of the ammo belts so it's all be drum/auto fed. I want to put the Bolter on both sides if it does end up side-by-side to suit either hand. And yes, I do most of my designs with magnets in mind and they're always included in the final kit. But, I really need a kit in my hands so I can make something that fits the scale perfectly. I'll likely be getting at least one of most of the stand-alone kits for both personal and studio use.

This is very good. I think this is just the reason I need to get a fire lit again. Mmm... so good to be bad. Time to start making some Dark ideas real.

I already got your design man. Phobos pattern chain axe base, double axe blade which will be longer each side like cataphractti FW ones, little tesla style power feed/balls in middle of each blade, pyramid spikes or rivets on axe faces (could be two types here), chains dangling from but of axe with a top punch spike.

Edit- rivets/bolts on hilt if you can manage it.  

I'll probably pass on Terminators for now. There is simply too much stuff I like in this new release, I can't find any room. Probably a good problem to have but there it is.

Also, I believe all Chaos Terminator builds should include one power sword, because the one in the new kit looks fantastic :)

Also, I believe all Chaos Terminator builds should include one power sword, because the one in the new kit looks fantastic :)

It really does. Maybe make use that bit for a spineshiver blade on a black legion terminator lord? I'm growing fond of a mini-abaddon build (lightning claw, spineshiver blade, bringers of despair warlord trait). Angel's bane would probably be a better use if the relic slot, but still...

Archived