The Siege of Terra: The Lost and the Damned

JH79

is Dorn’s surprise not that Vulkan went to the dungeon and survived when everyone else had not, and not simply being alive at all

Hidden Content
That's not how it reads to me, there is no differentiation between the shock of Sanguinius that he didn't die on Macragge, and Dorn's own surprise. It is a fairly minor detail overall but it has thrown me as I continue with the book.

It is a fairly minor detail overall but it has thrown me as I continue with the book.

A bit more than a minor detail in my humble opinion. BL should get its act together in the editorial department.  

Ideally, I wouldn't want "everything is canon, nothing is canon" to be a cover for sloppy editing. I want authours to be able to offer their own takes on certain characters, certainly...but plot points should remain consistent within the same series.  

We could continue this forever but it does not change the fact that this seemingly inconsistency exists.

Nonetheless, I'm eager to read some first thoughts about the book and return to topic with you.

Edited by Kelborn

Finished it this morning.

Overall enjoyable but with a few possible inconsistencies that, if they that, are annoying given the teamwork hype surrounding the series.

I read it as Dorn not knowing about Vulkan being on Terra which is obviously wrong given the events in Old Earth
Although, as pointed out earlier, it could be that he thought Vulkan dead after him and going to the throne room.
The fact that Valdor specifies to the group the Vulkan arrived via the Webway, and the following discussion do not lead me to think that is the case though. Having reread the passage once I think it's open to interpretation

I'm sure someone in the World Eaters mentions
them being at the Thramas crusade prior to Terra which I'm not sure is the case.

Aximands injuries post Sigismund fight not being commented on or addressed.

I don't think the above are central to the main thrust of the series so I think in the long run I'm not going to be too bothered by them. However, especially the first one, do drag you out of what is a really well paced book. 

Presentation is top class with the fold out map being a highlight.

An idea is reinforced that could be intersting to the series as a whole

Horus being consumed and burnt out by Chaos
as another ticking clock for the traitors in additon to the arrival of Gulliman.

What’s the geography of the palace like and how far do the traitors get by the end date in the book. Additionally, what is the timeline of this book?

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/07/06/the-lost-the-damned-and-the-coming-soon/

There's an image from the map from the book in this post from GW .

It starts at the 13th of Secundus with the initial bombardment of Terra.

It's last chapters deal with the first attempt to breech the Main wall.

The bulk of the book deals with the traitors landing on the fieilds outside the Palace and their battles there.

Don't have the book to hand but it's 2-3 months I think

edit

it's 2 months the book finishes on th 15th of Quartus

In what form does Mortarion appear at the Siege - heavily corrupted Nurgle warrior or Daemon-Prince of Nurgle? Because latest DG Codex states that Mortarion was blessed after the Siege.

Mortarion Is full on Daemon Primarch in this one. The Last Book In The HH Series,

The Buried Dagger, deals with the Deathguard falling to Nurgle, pretty sure at the end of that one it's heavily implied or actually stated that he'd be a Daemon Primarch when reaching Terra.

Edited by Lex D'Arquebus

How goes the duel between

The painted count and raldoran
go?

Not well for the Painted Count. I can go into more details if you want?

Please!

@ Lex D'Arqebus

Not well for the Painted Count. I can go into more details if you want?

Well, that's to be expected.

Raldoran is mentioned in the same breath as Sigismund, Abaddon, Eidolon, etc. The Painted Count is like an NBA role-player, still good but no all-star.

Skraivok doesn't die, another pointless duel, unless he gets mauled enough Tso Sahaal or Krieg Acerbus have to take over, I see no need for it

Ok full details as i remember them so be warned proper spoilers

He dies. Well sort of.

He commands the Night Lords (there are Death guard and World Eater elements there as well) first attack on the outer wall in an attempt to gain some fame. He's not the first to land on the wall, thats some other Night Lord who has made that claim in a 40k story, again don't have the book to hand so can't nam them for sure but can later if anyone wants.

The attack takes place on the section of the wall defended by Raldoran & Thane (Sanguinius is there too).

When the Blood Angels counter attack The Painted Count wants the prestige of killing Raldoran.

They fight with it being evenlly matched due to The Count's Daemon Weapon.

Suddenly the Daemon weapon stops "working" enabling Raldoran to throw the Count from the walls.

One the ground after the plummet the Count is not in great shape and near death.

The daemon from the sword manifests and explains that it desserted the Count along the lines as he'd gotten too cocky and only was his his position due to the daemon sword.

the daemon from the sword then offers him "salvation" via possesion. The Count desparatly accepts as he's near death and then is dragged into the warp fro 6 time 66 time 666 years of pain.

The details may be slightly off but thats' the gist of it as I remember it.

Can you tell more about Legio Solaria part, please? I have high hopes on the 'Titanic' aspect of the Siege.

Or maybe it just few pages about Esha...

It's a pretty brief appearance with very little from their POV.

2 scenes if I recall.

1st is where they're getting repaired and refitted underground and Esha has a conversation with Sanguinus where she pledges herself and theLegio to him.

2nd is pretty badass where they sally forth from the outer wall, to the outworks where most of the book takes place, at the climax of the book to destroy a 100m tall Nurgle seige tower ting

No Titan on Titan in this book but based on a passage where Petruabo claims Titans are key to breaking the siege we'll see some soon, hopefully with the Fire Wasps!

Edited by Lex D'Arquebus

When you say the main wall do you mean the wall with around the inner palace or the wall around the city?

Sorry should have been clearer, so many walls by Dorn!

The outmost wall

As i think I said in a post somewhere the book mainly takes place on the outworks outside the outer wall of the Palace, hence the picture of the trench in the cover
Edited by Lex D'Arquebus

When you say the main wall do you mean the wall with around the inner palace or the wall around the city?

The outmost wall

As i think I said in a post somewhere the book maninly takes place on the outworks outside the outer wall of the Palace, hence the picture of the trench in the cover

Thank you for the info :) 

That really helps give a better idea of how this thing is going to unfold.

The outmost wall

As i think I said in a post somewhere the book maninly takes place on the outworks outside the outer wall of the Palace, hence the picture of the trench in the cover

Thank you for the info :smile.:

That really helps give a better idea of how this thing is going to unfold.

You're wecome.

Yeah the pacing of the series is interesting. Thus far i feel it's been spot on.

Based on a couple of bits from this book I wouldn't be surprized if we have a book that largely focuses on events outwith the main siege of the Palace.

Whats going on across the rest of Terra isn't touched upon beyond a few lines.

By the end of this book The Khan has taken half the Ordu outwith the walls and it's implied that Fulgrim and The EC will be purposly sent to attack the civillian population across the rest of Terra.

I'll be interested to see where the actually duel between Horus and The Emperor takes place in the series timeline, last book for sure but how far into it?

Edited by Lex D'Arquebus

Apart from the duel, I hope Raldoron shows some personality beyond his extreme blandness in Fear to Tread.

Depends on what you mean by personality I guess. I think his "blandness" is probably why he ends up being The first Chapter master, level head, steady Eddie, safe pair of hands etc.

He does have one really funny moment IMO