Ordo...Mine, my Ordo WIP

So, I've begun my inquisition project. I've gotten my jokaero and storm bolter henchmen assembled and primed. I've got some land raiders sitting in simple green to strip them and make prometheuses (prometheii?) and multiple inquisitors in various stages of paint. Daemon hosts are dumb and radicals are stupid.

I figured I lean on the tried and tested public pressure method to help me keep going, so this will be my WIP thread with occasional updates and such.

med_gallery_53428_15422_93628.jpg

med_gallery_53428_15422_80170.jpg

med_gallery_53428_15422_24920.jpg

med_gallery_53428_15422_64500.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great. I'll be following.

Been wanting to start a similar project myself since last year (Ordo Machinum), but I didn't get anywhere with it. Too many RL obstacles. 
Are the Land Raiders an "Imperial" keyword addition, or is there a source rules-wise to use them for the Inquisition?

What models have you used for your henchmen/acolytes? The GW model doesn't seem to fit the datasheet description.

Good luck on your Ordo. 

Ciao!

Sounds great. I'll be following.

Been wanting to start a similar project myself since last year (Ordo Machinum), but I didn't get anywhere with it. Too many RL obstacles. 

I feel ya. I've made nearly no progress on this project since starting it because "life" happens. I'm looking forward to this summer and hopefully squeaking in some painting.

Are the Land Raiders an "Imperial" keyword addition, or is there a source rules-wise to use them for the Inquisition?

I'm fielding three Inquisition Land Raider Prometheuses (prometheusii?) They're in the FW Imperial Index for Astra Militarum. They replace all of the guns with two quad heavy bolters and it ignores cover. It has the ordo keyword, so it can be boosted by a jokaero, and has quarry, so it begins to absolutely murder whenever that matters.

What models have you used for your henchmen/acolytes? The GW model doesn't seem to fit the datasheet description.

My henchmen are necromunda gang members. I love the models for this purpose and hope that henchmen aren't restricted to elites in the future so that I can make more.

Good luck on your Ordo. 

You too, dude.

Ciao!

• 4 weeks later...

Got some progress on this project for the ETL and figure I should probably post something about it here.

Jokaero:

med_gallery_53428_15422_1157265.jpg

Execution Force:

med_gallery_53428_15422_84301.jpg

med_gallery_53428_15422_65507.jpg

Lord Inquisitor Karamazov:

med_gallery_53428_15422_562888.jpgmed_gallery_53428_15422_407264.jpg

I'm especially pleased with Karamazov. This is great since the inquisition lacks affordable AT firepower and he has that stanzy extended range, assault multimelta, so he's basically an auto-include in any of my pure Agents lists I'll be able to run soon.

Two new additions to my ordos forces. First, perhaps the most famous inquisitor from a table top perspective, Lord Inquisitor Coteaz, Protector of the Fomosa Sector. This was a rescue model (as many of my pieces are) and I'm pleased with how cleaned up it was. It took a lot of Simple Green and some of the glue did not want to come off but you can only barely see that along the left arm inner elbow. He's a classic model and a joy to paint.

med_gallery_53428_15422_458841.jpg

Then I was able to bring some heavy armor to the fight (the only inquisition heavy armor but that is a rant for another day.)

med_gallery_53428_15422_65537.jpg

This ended up a bit darker than I had originally planned but I'm satisfied enough with it. In the middle of applying some ink to this my new kitten decides that paint, my painting table, a sheet of paper towels everything is on, and a bottle of nuln oil were its greatest foes and needed to taste its claws.

Cats are heresy.

A lot of the spilled oil ended up on the tank and I kinda just did my best from there. I'm happy enough that stripping it and starting from scratch isn't going to happen but I was going to not ink it quite so much. Aw well, c'est la vie. I'll probably do those acolytes next since my other two land raiders still need to finish being stripped and my third inquisitor for the army is still in the mail.

Once the army is finished, here is where I'll include some battle reports.

Took a break from painting my infantry to finish assembling my armor. The inquisition has so few possible units, and no troop choices, so running high point units is almost required for a pure list. Thus, my three Land Raider Prometheuses (Prometheii?)

med_gallery_53428_15422_574983.jpg

med_gallery_53428_15422_304969.jpg

I wanted each of the three to look a bit unique to the other ones. The face that I'm working with rescue land raiders probably helped with this since I wasn't able to get them all disassembled any way. Each has the weapons in different positions, different components from the official kits, different styles of decorative bits, and will have different color schemes (though still in the sphere of red/black inquisition standards.) I'm especially pleased with the black raider. I didn't know where to put the printle-mounted storm bolter without it looking weird but I was able to shave down a grey knight arm and give the marine manning the multimelta a wrist mounted storm bolter.

BAM!

Done. And pleased.

I'm not 100% sure what chapters I'm going to make the marines manning these vehicles. In my head cannon, they're marines seconded to the inquisition and part of one of the army's inquisitor's retinues. I know that one, most likely the black raider guy, will be a Red Hunter. The other one is still up in the air.

Any suggestions? Also, no chapter militants. I don't want anybody claiming that the raider is actually a Grey Knight or Deathwatch raider and shouldn't have the ordo keyword or something silly like that. I want to marine to look either inquisitiony or out of place.

Got some acolytes acolighting-it-up...amiright?

med_gallery_53428_15422_736897.jpgmed_gallery_53428_15422_174484.jpgmed_gallery_53428_15422_845173.jpgmed_gallery_53428_15422_1622601.jpg

The pictures really don't do them justice. While I'm not 100% pleased with them (straight up missed a few bits here and there and ran out of patience for a few details) there are decent enough for me to enjoy taking them to the table. I'm most disappointed with the 3rd party female heads. They look like I want them to at purchase but even a little paint washed out almost all of the details. I used them because the escher heads seemed a bit over the top and how I'm wondering if I made the right call. Oh well, they're basically guardsmen with storm bolters, so they won't be on the table long anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I took this list to a tournament this Saturday and did...ok. I don't expect it to do well but we had our 3 most ruthless players there and I probably don't stand a snowball's chance against 2 of them and merely a snowball's chance against the 3rd (you'll see why as I played him in game 2.) These simple reports are from memory, so they won't have the best details but I hope they're entertaining nonetheless.

My list:

Hereticus Spearhead-

Karamazov

Inquisition Land Raider Prometheus x3 - Multimelta and stormbolter

Inquisition Vanguard -

Inquisitor Coteaz

Inquisitor - Hereticus, Combi-Melta, Psyker, and Null Rod

Acolytes 3x6 - Stormbolters and Hereticus

Jokaero Weaponsmith x3

Officio Assassinorum Execution Force

Game 1 - vs. Thousand Sons

His List:

Magnus the Red

Daemon Prince w/ claws and 3++

Daemon Prince w/ Sword

Rubric Marines 3x6 - 1 flamer each

Birdboy Shaman

Birdboy Bowmen 6 & 7 man squads

Mutalith

Fire Raptor

Early Game:

I started off rather well, killing the Mutalith and reducing the smaller enlightened squad to merely a half alive member. I also had all 3 objectives on my side. Then Magnus happened a psyker magic reigned. Magnus warp timed himself forward, enhanced his save, burned one raider for 5 wounds, and then charged another to kill it. I failed to hurt him in overwatch, despite some decent rolling, and lost 2 acolytes in the wreckage. I still did ok overall and was rather ahead in points by a bit. His other attacks reduced the hurt raider to the last tier.

Mid-Game:

I got Coteaz, another squad of acolytes, and all the jokaero out and pointed them at Magnus. Karamazov went after a daemon prince that tried to use its speed to get behind me. I was, I'd hoped, setup to take out Magnus and at least wound the other daemon prince that was also his warlord. Sadly, it was not to be. Both raiders reduced Magnus to his last tier. He dispelled my smite (to be expected) but then I thought I'd go for it and charge in Coteaz. I figured that he only needed to get one attack through in order to kill him (he was on 3 wounds) and the 2+ bodyguards would hopefully keep him alive. I fought with Karamazov first, because I was more afraid of the daemon prince killing him than Magnus killing Coteaz. I proceeded to do nothing to the prince. Have I mentioned that 3++ saves are a hell of a drug? Not only that, but the daemon prince only did 2 wounds back. Mostly because I rolled well though. Magnus interrupted to go after Coteaz and did 7 wounds thanks to Death to the False Emperor! Ok, I tried to pass them off to acolytes and failed 2. Fine, I'll spend a CP to reroll 1. Its fine. Just fine. Rerolled the 1 into a 1. Ick! Coteaz dies.

Also, my Callidus and Eversor went after two squads of his  rubric in order to keep them off objectives. They were his engineers and I couldn't let him keep getting those points. The Callidus failed miserably, missing with her shot and two attacks, and would be killed by the sword prince next turn. The Eversor did better, killing all but two, killing another when they fell back next turn, and exploding onto the last one. Still, the ones the callidus failed to kill would earn him maximum engineer points.

Late-Game:

I made a big mistake and charged the generic inquisitor into the daemon prince fighting Karamazov. I thought that, with rerolls and d3 damage, he would be able to help out. He did nothing and the daemon prince interrupted and finished Karamazov off before he could even go. Magnus had an eh turn after I failed to kill him, only massacring a bunch of acolytes and failing a charge on a raider. He was finished off next turn by the raiders, who spent the rest of the game hating Fire Raptors but finishing off the other daemon prince and the big enlightened. Vindicare finally killed something when he blamed the shaman. His Fire Raptor swooped in and killed all the jokaero to secure kill more for the last turn.

At the end, I was down to the vindicare, 1 damaged raider, and a few acolytes. He had that damn raptor, the same half wounded enlightened he'd hidden from turn 1, and two rubric squads.

He won 26-23. It was close. I made a few mistakes and had some clutch poor rolls but I could have won.

Game 2 vs. THE PURGE (god I hate these guys)

His net list (in various detachments):

3 disco lords

3 butcher deredeos

3 burtcher contemptors

3 helldrakes

It was ugly. He was chaos though and I had 2+ save vehicles that had full rerolls against him. I didn't think my odds were too bad.

And then the game happened.

Purge meant that they basically had full re-rolls too but hit on 2s. Helldrakes meant he could easily lock down my land raiders without the ability to fall back and Coteaz and Karamazov spent most of the game trying to beat up helldrakes in melee. I was able to snag a lot of cover but he had way too many shots and acolytes just got tagged by havoc launchers if they were out. I never stood a chance and he just chipped away at me.

I tried to achieve something by killing his warlord with the Eversor, Callidus, and Culexus but they failed. My assassins had not good targets this game and he kept making saves against multimeltas. 

He won 8-40

Last game vs. Orks

Her list:

Gazghull

Warboss x2

Psyker x2

100+ Orks in 4 squads

30 grots in 3 squads

15 lootas

10 nobs

trukk

2 planes

Early game:

She seized on me...

*sigh*

She jumped forward with men and trucks, da jumped one squad to try and silence my vindicare (my cunning plan to put him in the middle of nowhere succeeded!), and blasted on raider. Clever (?) placement on my part meant it had cover and survived despite VERY good rolling on her part. Then I explained to her that the teleported orks were 9" away in a straight line but 13.5" away in having to go up ladders and stuff. :) They can't charge the vindicare they went there to kill.

I hit back as best I could. Acolytes hope out. Jokaeros customize the guns of my raider (my re-rolls!) and then hide behind them out of sight. I maul one flyer, kill the teleported scar boys (storm bolters!), eliminate the trukk carrying Ghaz and the nobz, and killed a smattering of other boyz.

Vindicare aces the psyker with da jump and wounds the other one. Suck it, witches.

Mid-Game:

She tries to close faster but only has long charges. Terrain left her lootas hanging in the wind with no targets while only one of her planes can reach the wounded raider. I survive with no casualties and she looses another nob to overwatch before failing the charge.

My assassins come on and start assassinating. The eversor charges, fights twice, kills two grot squads, and is in base with the lootas. The vinidcare takes out the other psyker. Culexus and Callidus get the jump on Ghaz, who was weakened by the raiders after they finished killing his nobz.

More boyz are also killed and I stay far the hell away from the rest.

Late-Game:

She's in a bad position and is just trying to get points at this point. She positions a flyer where it'll have to go off the table next turn in order to shoot at something (acolytes) but at least succeeds there. Boyz decide to sit on some objectives in order to earn some points. Lootas try to fight the eversor, fail, blender noises ensue.

On my turns, the eversor finishes off the last grots, charges a warboss and kills him, and does a touchdown victory dance in the endzone in celebration of securing me linebreaker. Heavy bolters did heavy bolter things and murdered orks by the fistfull.

I won 36 - 6

I like the list. I don't think a pure agents list can be much better. I do wish somethings were improved. The prometheus raiders are too expensive unless they have quarry, then its debatable. Jokaeros are too vulnerable without character. All inquisitors are 20% too expensive. Acolytes should be troop choices.

Assassins are fun and good if they have infantry to go after. Otherwise they stand around, confused, hoping for good rolls.

Nice write up! But wheres the pics? I thought your tournament days were over? :P

Tournaments are the only chance I have to play, sadly. My time winning any might be over, since I really want to work this army out, but I still play.

Sadly, I forgot pictures were a thing and didn’t take any.

Placeholder post for battle reports later...

Game 1 vs. Daemons-

Pox Bringer

Sloppity Bilepiper

Daemon Prince of Khorne

Syll'Esske

Ahriman

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

Sorcerer in Terminator Armor
The Contorted Epitome

Plaguebearers x29

Plaguebearers x30

Nurglings x3
Nurglings x3
Nurglings x3
Nurglings x3

Early Game-
I was excited about this game because it was a ton of basic daemons and I was inquisition. While the army is VERY tough, I have six quad heavy bolters that re-roll everything and that forgiveth a multitude of sins. The first few turns were just me trying to thin his numbers (took out one of the plague bearer units) and a few monsters (he left Skill'er'exc open once) while staying out of melee as best I could. We had an LoS blocking terrain in the middle of the board and he used that to advance and try to protect his models, to mixed success. My vindicare tried to take out Ahriman, who was out in the open, but wiffed and he was smart enough to hide him right quick after that. The nurglings split into two groups and held two objectives while hiding.

Mid Game-
His 2nd unit of plaguebearers came in from deep strike but he needed them on objective holding duty because I'd punched a few holes into his army. This might have won me the game and I wonder if I could have won if he'd been more aggressive and disregarded cover. Thinning the herd also allowed me to start pegging his monsters. My eversor and callidus came on and helped finish the Khorne prince before going after one of the groups of nurglings (callidus assassins love nurglings.) 

Late Game-
By this time, he was out of steam and I had basically taken out everything but one of the groups of nurglings. We talked out the last two turns and I wasn't going to be able to take out both nurgling units. We measured and I'd only be able to even see one on the last turn. Otherwise, my army was mostly intact and sitting where it needed to be.

Thoughts-
This almost felt unfair. He was the best matchup for me at the event and I got him round one! Nurgle daemons are slow but designed to be tough but they're not tough enough for what I can throw their way. Daemons needs to be fast and aggressive to overcome the negatives this army has on them. He needed to get my raiders locked in melee so that I cannot shoot at all but closing took too long.

Game 2 vs. THE PURGE- (repeat match with guy I drove with)

Disco Lord x3

Helldrake x3

Butcher Cannon Contemptor x3

Butcher Cannon Deredeo x3

Early Game-
I went 1st (yay!) and only took out 1 helldrake (boo!) Then he moved forward and started to do what he did last game. Things that could tried to wound me so that I'd be PURGED! and then the butcher cannons would go to town. I had some poor luck with armor saves (the disco lords always wounded me with autocannons and that'd setup the rest of his army) and psychic powers. He locked one raider, almost killed another, and killed the vindicare (not that he has much to do.)

Mid Game-
I do my best to get out of melee, unleash what I can with my characters and generally fight back. I kill the remaining helldrakes and wound a disco lord. In return, I lose the wounded raider and another one. He also charges in a kills Coteaz.

Late Game-
I'm tabled except for a 1 wound Culexus assassin who I put on the opposite end of the board and hoped to get me linebreaker with. So, yay, points.

Thoughts-
This guy went on to get 3rd place and is a great player with an awesome netlist that has been proven. Even the re-roll advantages are not enough when I'm trying to kill an entirely vehicle army with heavy bolters and assassins. I'm genuinely unsure what I could ever do to make my army beat this army. Great guy though.

Game 3 vs. The Perfidious Eldar-

Autarch on Jetbike

Farseer Skyrunner

Avengers x5

Guardian Defenders x20

Rangers x5

Dark Reapers x8

Shadow Weavers x5

Wraithlord x3

Crimson Hunter Exarch x2

Hemlock Wraithfighter

Early Game-
Most of the early game was him trying to get at my raiders while I tried to kill his fliers and dark reapers. The fact that his flyer is a psyker helped (my raiders are Ordo Hereticus) and it died easily while the Jokaeros had to help out with other issues. I also benefited greatly from the fact that his artillery rolled terribly (averaging about 2 shots per the whole game) helped me a ton. He pelted away with what he had and wounded the heck outa one of the raiders.

Mid Game-
I made the mistake that almost cost me the game here. I didn't know that the eldar had access to a strategem to target incoming reserves. My Callidus assassin was promptly blasted off the table without doing anything. Luckily, the eversor made up for lost ground by killing a warlock and farseer, and consolidating into two of his artillery pieces. They'd play a game of slap fight for the rest of the match, but at least they wouldn't be shooting any more. I also finished off his remaining flyers, killed a few dark reapers (he kept using a strat to move them back out of sight), and wittled some wraithlords.

He tried to get the jump on me with speed and LoS blocking terrian. His autarch got the charge against a raider but was promptly shot the face by the vindicare with his pistol. The assassin then blew up and killed the culexus assassin in the process before recharging the raider. The vindicare punched him for his efforts.

Late Game-
We were a bit close at this point but he was running out of things. His guardians were hard to shift because he kept them fearless and with a 5+ fnp with witchcraft but they focused on objectives. He tried to lock up the same raider his autarch did with his farseer on bike and here is where ordo hereticus came up again. It almost cost him the little witch but he made the charge, only for the vindicare to heroicly intervene and punch him in the face. By the end of the game, he was down to a few artillery in his far corner (the eversor finished off the others on the very last turn.)

I barely ecked out a win but it was a win.

Thoughts-
Yay, a chance to use the word perfidious. My day was already made. This kid was a bit new at the game. He had to check his rules a lot (kept thinking his guardians were Aliatoc and/or Ulthwé) and it didn't help that we have almost no aedari at my local story (they're not competitive enough for our local players...let that sink in.) Still he had a great attitude and I'd gladly play him again.

I felt bad. I got salty as heck when my callidus died because it ties into my only beef with 8th edition. There is too much stuff to memorize and, if you don't, you suffer from facing what I've come to call "blue decks." Its a Magic: the Gathering reference where blue themed decks focus on denying the opponent options and locking them out of the game. Its terribly unfun to play against and 90% of the reason I stopped playing MtG back in the day. Learning about that stratagem felt like finding out my opponent had "that card" in his hand. I was probably a fair bit rude for a turn or two afterwards and apologized after the game but I need to work on my self control.

Game 4 vs. Tau-

Cadre Fireblade

Coldstar Commander w Fusion Guns

Commander x2 - Cyclonic Ion Blasters

3 Strike Squads x5

Hazard Suit w Fusion Cascades

Hazard Suit w Fusion Cascades

Drone Fighter x2

Pathfinders x5 w all the drones

4x Gun Drones

4x Shield Drones

Dahyak Grekh

Ripetide w Burst Cannon

Sky Ray x2

Early Game-
He had a fair bit in reserves and I managed to snag first turn. I took out all of his strike squads and one of the sky rays. I was hoping to take out of pathfinders but they scouted into LoS blocking cover. On his first turn, he pulled the expected missile salves on one of my raiders and almost killed it. He rolled a bit poorly (largely did the whole game) and I made some clutch saves.

Mid Game-
I try to assassinate his warlord. Both the eversor and callidus come out near him. Both shoot him...nothing. Both charge him. He has no other units with For the Greater Good nearby, so I figure I'm safish. One should make it...right? Nope. Both are vaporized with fusion guns in overwatch! Outch. My guns continue to do work by killing his pathfinders and the 2nd sky ray.

His reserves come in and finish off one raider while hurting another. His fusion cascades have amazingly bad luck and accomplish nothing.

Late Game-
I dominate his commander into killing the last drone fighter and kill a few drones but now he has everything down and I'm running out of steam. I used my acolytes to keep my inquisitors alive but it costs them their lives. The culexus assassin lives for a fair while but can't accomplish much. He gets me down to just my vindicare, inquisitor, and coteaz on the last turn. I ask to play it out because I want to try to kill his warlord. It took all of their shooting (the vindicare missed again), psyker magic (one smite failed and the other did 1 MW), DOMINATE (got a commander to shoot his warlord for me), but it worked. I then ran into melee and he blasted me off the table.

I lost.

Thoughts-
What am I, ordo xenos? Pfft. Call in the deathwatch if you want to kill blueies. I was reasonably sure I'd lose and so I did. While he had some truly terrible shooting at times, aside from murdering my poor innocent assassins, it only barely kept me in the game. He had most of his suits and had done more damage to his ripetide himself than I did, since I never shot at it.

Game 5 vs. 1k Sons- (repeat match with guy I drove with)

Ahriman on Disc

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch x2

3 Rubicae Squads x6 w 1 flamer (damn that thing)

Tzaangor Shaman

Tzaangor Enlightened x4

Tzaangor Enlightened x6

Fire Raptor
Magnus the Red

Early Game-
And I was siezed on...

I positioned by culexus well and it prevented him from smiting the hell outa my army. Didn't stop him from warp time charging me with Magnus though. He hurt one of the raiders but didn't accomplish much else. Then I moved everything back and blasted Magnus off of the table. It took most of my army to do it but we succeeded. Did a few wounds to his fire raptor too. The Vindicare took another shoot on Ahriman, trying to make up for game 1, but whiffed again. At least he did a few wounds this time.

Mid Game-
His other monster tried to lock me down and now he's playing for points. He teleports a squad onto an objective that is close to a LoS blocking terrain and is holding 3/5 objectives. I kill his remaining monster but I'm running short on time and he's largely kept me in my deployment. He's also killed the raider that Magnus rocked and tiered another. My assassins come in and kill Ahriman and the shaman. This helps me a ton. Those powers were really making the Fire Raptor potent and now that it is tiered and unenhanced, it isn't as much of a threat.

Late Game-
I get a bit lucky and the assassin survive more than they should and kill a squad of enlightened. The Fire raptor is finished off and it is basically my two raiders versus some rubicae that they can't see but are earning him points. I move and advance the raiders to get some objectives of my own, denying him Hold More and getting one into line breaker range. This proves critical because I only won the game by 2 points. 22-24, iirc.
Early Game-

Mid Game-

Late Game-

Edited by librisrouge

Good tournament. I had a ton of fun and it confirmed everything I knew about my army.

• The assassins absolutely need to do work
  • Re-rolls forgiveth a multitude of sins; without them I'm lost
  • Lost of high toughness, high wound target will be hard to deal with, even with re-rolls
  • If I crumble early, I loose too much offensive power too fast
  • There are not enough models to keep my characters hidden and this gets costly mid-late game

I'm thinking of mixing it up. Making it really pure Inquisition. I'd drop the assassins :ermm: but add a primaris redoubt for that sweet, sweet turbo laser action. I'm already scratch building one but summer is almost over and the A/C went out at my house and my warrant company is run by satan himself and I have to get school stuff setup and and and

I'm busy :dry.:

I've found Assassins to be a bit hit or miss, seems that may not be something that can be reliably covered by taking more of them. I think it's worth trying pure Inquisition to see how it goes, if nothing else it'd have Rule of Cool going for it :wink:

Cherrypicking one assassin with the stratagem is usually very usefull, it takes the randomness away. If you have the command points to fuel them they can be amazing if you time their actions well.

• 2 weeks later...