Building my first guardsmen

War Angel

If a commander is within 3" of a voxcaster (model or unit I can't recall exactly) then they can give orders to another unit with one up to 18"away

18 inches away from the commander or from the unit/model with the vox?

War Angel, I've always been of the school of thought to make the officers / sergeants / troopers as cheap as possible. Spend the points on armour assets.

This is due to the fact that I faced a lot of assault heavy armies when I played, so having cheap disposable speed bumps worked to my advantage.

I feel like I should mention that I plan on running these guys as pure infantry. No transports or armor supports. They are essentially the chapter serfs for the Eagles Eternal. Don’t worry, I’m avoiding the “loyal 32” bit by adding heavy weapons teams. So far my collection is 46 strong. Might see myself buying as many as two platoons worth.

If a unit with a Voxcaster is within 3" of a Commander, he can issue orders to units up to 18" away if the target unit also has a Voxcaster. As for equipment, I always give my officers and sergeants boltguns. One point is a negligible cost to allow the leaders to actually contribute to a firefight. The BS3 on the officers is also not wasted with a laspistol that way. They call all take chainsword for 0 points, as well, so there's no real reason to bother with other melee weapons (unless you're running Catachan or something). The name of the game for our infantry is volume of attacks.

What do you mean when you say 'platoon?' A Guard platoon, as in an officer and a couple squads, or a military platoon, which has as many as fifty men to include officers?

How should I be equipping my two CO’s? Bolt pistol chainsword?

Tactically speaking, It is 1 point for a bolt pistol but also just 1 point for a bolter, which has double the range and gets 2 shots at 12". If possible go for a bolter, it gives your CO a bit of dakka and you dont want him to be in close combat anyway. Also, he still gets to take a chainsword if he takes a bolter :smile.: If you dont want your officers to even see a hint of combat and just want them for orders (which is perfectly acceptable) then go for cheap as possible and have a laspistol and chainsword.

However, if going by rule of cool, then your officers should be brandishing some cool wargear :P I personally beilve that no officer is complete without either a plasma pistol and/or power sword!

Edited by Mordian Glory

MG makes good points

Upside off this edition is were no longer paying the same price for power weapons and plasma pistols as space Marines so its not a super big investment even if its not the most "efficient" choice

The Relic pet sword is also a lot of fun. :D

I want to make it clear I was never chasing 5 CP’s. Though I did decide I was at least going to get a minimum of 5 CP’s lol. I think I also said “four squads makes a mordern Marine Plt, and that’s what I want”.

This would also be easier if I didn’t have such a desire to make everything seem unique. I cut off the pointing officers hand so I could put the Sgt’s las pistol on the outstretched hand and make it look like he’s rushing forward taking shots. I’ll post pictures when I finish making this backpack

Emperor grant me strength, I’m looking at 20 assembled guardsmen, know I have to build another 21 and finish greenstuffing 5 more....it’s not even 300 points! How do you guys do this?

Never do it in one go...

Also as I said before armour assets are the Guard's point sink.

Emperor grant me strength, I’m looking at 20 assembled guardsmen, know I have to build another 21 and finish greenstuffing 5 more....it’s not even 300 points! How do you guys do this?

Never do it in one go...

Also as I said before armour assets are the Guard's point sink.

I just realized this says “never do it in one go”

I just.... I’m going to try.

War Angel, you're GS work is amazing, I truly am envious of it!

30-ish Guard isn't too bad to do in one go, but 100+ is... I made that mistake once and only once... on my last go at them, I limited myself to 10 at a time.

I’m glad you like my GS abilities, because tonight, for the first time ever, live, I will be making an ear..... lol.

I know you didn’t ask, but my advice with GS is to have/use tools, work in layers, and be patient. Don’t let it be done until your done.

As usual, I’m watching MD while building, and now I’m thinking that the mortars, while fluffy and fitting with a theme that I want, I’m not sure that they will fill any role that I’ll need. Hmmm. I should work out what role I want the Serfs to be doing in the first place.

This thread has been gold for me!

I'm just starting to get back into the Guard so all the advice has been very helpful.

Also I really like your girly Guard! Looing forward to seeing the painted results.

Thanks, I’m actually a Marine IRL and I’ve worked with many females. It’s about 7% female to male so it felt like a good bit of diversity to my unit, I enjoy making them fit in, but will be honest that I would be painting by now if GW had proper models instead of making me do the work lol.

As usual, I’m watching MD while building, and now I’m thinking that the mortars, while fluffy and fitting with a theme that I want, I’m not sure that they will fill any role that I’ll need. Hmmm. I should work out what role I want the Serfs to be doing in the first place.

I really used mortars heavily during 4th/5th, like to the point where I had full 9 mortar heavy weapon squads, back then the template use with them was awesome, first round hit, then all others hit around it... I once had that kind of squad clear out 20+ slugga ork boys out of a 30 man strong squad... only my Bassies did better when used in 3 unit strong squads.

But to the point, I'm the kind of player that thinks theme is more important than rules, so if the mortars work thematically, keep 'me.

This weekend i did something out of character for myself and played a game with unpainted minis. Specifically, 250 points of guard fought alongside my space marines in my first ever battle with both guard and Primaris marines. A 2000 point battle on the soot filled streets of Bella 5, chaos Marines of the thousand sons and Iron warriors sought to take the arg world from the imperium. Orders were given to hold the line and drive off the attackers, and the guard commanders were given both flanks to hold while the Marines pushed through. Rubric Marines of the thousand sons advanced down on first and second squad, and the first battle field command ever was given by the 75th Quantico Auxiliary (name in workshop) first rank fire, second rank fire. In that volley, first squad brought down 3 of the traitors. Many more chaos marines fell to the guard that day, but in the end only the mortar squad survived. But the battle was won.

As a side note, guard die really really fast lol.

o0U4jy0.jpg

So that was a fun game, hopefully I have them painted for the inevitable rematch. I also should take more time to study the stratigems. I really didn’t know what my options were with them so I just didn’t use any of my CP except like 3 for re roles. I’m currently building the heavy weapons now, and it feels so wasteful to have 3 lascannons, 3 heavy bolsters, 3 missile launchers and 3 auto cannons just sitting on their sprue. Maybe they’ll find their way into the terrain.

As a side note, guard die really really fast lol.

Welcome to the guard sounds like you're doing it right! :tu:

Rule 1. Don't get too attached to your minis

There are a few good anti chaos strats including vengeance for cadia

Guard have a lot of great combos for strats and orders