I hadnt even thought about combis - though they're index/legends only, right? 

That's right. Unfortunately Scout Sergeants don't have access to the Sergeant Equipment list anymore outside of legends.

My shotgun scouts have a powerfist/boltpistol sgt, but they were built long ago, when I barely know wheat I was doing. If I could be bothered, I'd swap the pistol out for a shotgun. I love a powerfist sgt, even when it's not necessarily a good idea. Being able to threaten anything is great. Plus, the look on my opponent's face when they remember the d3 damage is just great.

5 2w models are worse than 10 1 wound models if all else is equal.

1 damage weapons are the same, anything with a damage of 2 or better is doing twice as good vs primaris than regular scouts

Plus, 10 scouts put out more damage than 5 intercessors.

But its complicated by the fact that Primaris units have a 3+ rather than a 4+.

And if you have a fnp equivalent, it gets weird, because a 2w model can end up absorbing an extra hit bringing the difference closer together.

Plus, intercessors aren't double the cost of scouts, so they're more points efficient per wound if you are getting hit with D1 weapons, as a scout wound is 11 pts and an intercessor wound is roughly 8.5 pts

A better comparison would probably be Incursors since they have the same deployment rules as Scouts. Here are some points comparisons based on wounds, firepower and melee attacks.

Incursors

9.5 Points per wound

9.5 Points per attack

9.5 Points per shot (12") 19 Points per shot (24")

Bolter Scouts

11 Points per wound

11 Points per attack

5.5 Points per shot (12") 11 Points per shot (24")

BP CCW Scouts

11 Points per wound

5.5 Points per attack

11 Points per shot (12") nor shots (24")

This is a bit rough and ready but it gives a good indication. Incursors are more durable than Scouts vs 1D weapons but less vs 2D weapons. The Incursors have a 3+ save vs a 4+ save but this is slightly harder to quantify.. Shooty Scouts are cheaper per shot but more expensive per attack. BP/CCW Scouts are cheaper per attack but more expensive per shot. Incursors attacks and shooting are both slightly higher quality due to exploding 6s and ignoring cover respectively.

A 5-man bolter and 5-man BP/CCW squad will have a slightly better damage output than 5 Incursors while costing slightly more. They are less durable vs 1D weapons but more against 2D weapons.

• 2 years later...
On 5/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Jolemai said:

bl.php?text=Blood%20Angels%20Unit%20of%20the%20Week%20Series&fontsize=25&bg=CE0018

Welcome to part three of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Forge World and Forge World Legends comprise parts five and six.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Scout Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Scouts?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the Chapter Approved and current Warzone changes affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiple units? MSU of full squads? Do you make use of the Combat Squads special rule?
  • Footslog or transport? Are you making use of Concealed Positions or Outflank?
  • What weapons and equipment are you taking and does the above affect how you run them?
  • Are you buffing this unit? If so, how?
  • Stratagems of note?

Over to you

Thread updated for 9th post Nephilim.

Scouts never did die the death the internet expected them to and they are still finding a home in many lists competitive or otherwise. How are you making use of yours right now?

I'm currently making use of Scouts in my 2k list. I'm running six models to ensure a successful Retrieve Nephilim Data when I bring them on from Outflank (yes, I have failed this with a five man squad in the past!). Furthermore, my list is built with Nephilim's version of Death From Above in mind, and my Scouts can and have contributed to this. I'm currently running them with bolt pistols and combat blades.