Who do you think deserves a Codex of their own?

I think the following factions should get Codices:

Ultramarines should stay attached to Codex: Space Marines with Raven Guard, Salamanders and White Scars.

Dark Angels, Iron Hands, Blood Angels, Space Wolves and Last Wall (Black Templars, Crimson Fists, Imperial Fists, rules for successors) should get their Codices.

Slightly off-topic, but I also think World Eaters and Emperor's Children need their own Codices and unique sculpts.

Exodites need to exist at all, and there needs to be a Codex: Genestealer Cults, but that's about it for Xenos armies.

I do not think that the classic Codex concept is useful.

Sure we can get a book with cool art, story and rules.

But how long before there is a correct, update or add on?

Perhaps a binder system and high quality pages would serve us better.

That way to can take a generic Space Marine page set, a Raven Guard booster back and a Raven Guard binder and you will have a "Codex" you can update as there is new rules.

It will also make it easier to upgrade or downgrade between rule edition.

Edit. 14-05-2019

Or they could replace the single Codex with 4 books.

- Lore / History book
- Gallery / Paint guide

- Heroes and Legends

- Rulebook

That way a re-release of the "standards" Codex Astartes could be a set with Ultramarine lore book, Space Marine Gallery book, Ultramarine Heroes and Legends and Astartes rule book.

And if you are Imperial Fist, you can just buy the Imperial Fist lore book and Imperial Fist Heroes and Legends to replace the Ultramarine one.

Edited by slitth

what I would like to see but will probably never happen.

Codex Space Marines: The generic space marine codex.  Featuring UM, and additional CT from subsequent foundings.  Emperor's Spears, Blood Ravens etc...etc..

Codex Blood Angel

Codex Dark Angel

Codex Space Wolf

Codex: Sons of Dorn:  Contains Imperial Fist, Crimson Fist, Black Templars and other subsequent foundings that bears Rogal Dorn's gene seeds.  Executioners for example.

Additional wargear, strategems, special units or weapon loadouts.

Codex Eldar Exodites

Codex Tau Auxiliary:  Guevasa + more alien client races

Codex Mercenaries: Hrud, Tarellian Dog Soldiers, Men of Iron Remnants, compilation of units not affiliated with any faction, Spindle Drones, Ambulls

Codex Squats: I really like the idea of high tech, non religious fanatic factions that is sort like a in between Marine/Astra faction

Edited by Aurica

You could argue none of the Astartes deserve their own codex, or all of them do.

I do want to see each chapter receive a bit more support. The new Iron Father is a great start.

What we need is for each chapter to have a minimum of number of characters in plastic (preferably Primaris as it's the new growing range) as well as a unique unit or two. They also need to be supported by a few unique strats, relics, Warlord traits, etc

What Crimson Fists received in that recent White Dwarf should be the minimum for each Codex chapter going forward. A few pages of dedicated rules and abilities. Combine this with a Primaris Pedro Kantor as an example and it's looking a lot better.

I just hope against hope that we go the HH route.

I would be fine with dropping a bunch of special characters from the various marine books.

A core "astartes" book covering all the shared units, and chapter tactics.

DLC/white dwarf articles/compilation book giving all first founding (initially) chapters special characters (min 1, max 3), special units (min 1, max 3), some unique wargear options/relics, stratagems and warlord traits.

Once first foundings are handled, repeat for the popular 2nd or later founding.

Edited by Blindhamster

Still of the opinion that all loyalist marines should be rolled into one book with Index Astartes articles if they need anything extra. The release cycle gets so bloated with Marine books that it's absurd. Release separate Cadian/Catachan/Steel Legion/whatever books instead, each of those forces is orders of magnitude bigger than all the marines put together and way more different in fighting doctrine.

Don't complain about a problem if you're just going to replace it with the exact same problem but in a flavor you prefer. I'm willing to support re-combining the numerous MEQ factions but not if you're just going to create the same problem with other armies.

It's not just Loyalists either, CSM just got splintered into Khorne Daemonkin, DG, and 1KS, with surely more to come. A lot of the smaller factions still need heavy fleshing out. GSC and Tyranids are the best example of what they should be aiming to be, not Codex: Kasrkin, or having a clear "parent faction" they splintered off from (Harlequins, Militarum Tempestus).

Edited by Tyberos the Red Wake

I would be fine with dropping a bunch of special characters from the various marine books.

DLC/white dwarf articles/compilation book giving all first founding (initially) chapters special characters (min 1, max 3), special units (min 1, max 3), some unique wargear options/relics, stratagems and warlord traits.

When it comes to gameplay I don’t want to do this to an opponent and not like being on the other side of it. There’s a generic stealthy squad with some fiddly options, but also some chapters have a special stealthier squad with different cuddly options. I don’t like it and I’d like to get rid of all trait systems, I think they mostly exist as a very popular sales gimmick.

When it comes to gameplay I don’t want to do this to an opponent and not like being on the other side of it. There’s a generic stealthy squad with some fiddly options, but also some chapters have a special stealthier squad with different cuddly options. I don’t like it and I’d like to get rid of all trait systems, I think they mostly exist as a very popular sales gimmick.

They’re no different than Reivers with Bolt Carbines and Infiltrators, or Intercessors and Hellblasters.