Road to East China Open - Sept 2019

Morticon

Lynnean,i toiled over that for daaaays. The issue was that all I could really drop would be an HQ which I needed. And the other option would be to move the attack bikes into 2*1 and use the points to pick up a eliminator unit. It may have been worth it, but I felt they would be too easy a KP for my enemy.

And sadly, the lists are locked now!!!

Fair! My brain was just like: hey, why haven't you. But since you toiled over it for days xD

I'm reaaaaaally eager to know how it works out!

I played three practice games this weekend. 

G1:  Death Guard

G2: DA

G3: Custodes

The BA won in all the games, but knowing how difficult the lists are in the tournament, I'm in no way emboldened.

However, using Gift of Foresight (and the "trick" - or rather additional info I learned in the SlamCaptain thread) vs. the DA, it was great. I did use GoF in the last tourney in games where there are no uber tough models. 

Overviews:

GAME 1:

I'm SO glad I played DG this weekend.  I've only ever played very basic versions of this list, and seeing a list with so many characters and buffs/debuffs was really good.  Also allowed me to look out for certain units and ignore certain units.  Those myphitic haulers for example were targetted hard by Slammy - but i realised I didnt really need to, and should have gone for something else.  

My opponent made 5+s like he was rolling 3ups though- but still took it in the end- but wow.  ROUGH.  The two death guard lists in the tourney are going to be very, very tough. 

GAME 2:

My opponent played a lot better than his usual charge into the fray tactic- but, still extended on his black knights too quickly and allowed smashy to get in (10 attacks with his hammer hitting on 2s!!! )  all 8 black knights gone in one foul swoop.  He should have led with his anvil (the terms) and followed up with the hammer.  

It was good to see what the army could do though, and good to get some practice against Infiltrators, which were pesky.  On a side note,  their ability to block was very very good, but once more, i'm not convinced theyre worth it in deviant marine lists where they cant get -1 ap. 

I'm getting better with my Phobos Libby placement, but am still not where I want to be with Mass of Doom.  More on this later.

GAME 3:

The Custodes list was designed as a bit of a gimmick list, and it's designed to be quick and easy to play and limit opponent VP.  Thing is, with 24 models in a 2k list, it's just unable to compete.  It was a brief game, that allowed me to practice movement and placing, but otherwise not a good indicator of anything. 

I will need to get in at least 2 more games before the weekend.  

Mass of Doom - I often start moving and only then realise I should be using it.  I need to take a step back at the start of the turn and look to where my models can go. Usually I cycle through units one at a time and move, but dont think too many steps ahead too often.  I need to stop and look at all jumpy units and decide where they are going, and then use MoD accordingly. 

The VV are nicer with Shock Assault - but are very good with MoD- they're still not putting out the damage I want though.  In future lists, I think I'll add one more fist, and maybe 2 more power weapons/axes.

I'm going through the lists now....

I can safely say, without hyperbole or exaggeration, that this is the hardest, roughest and most insane collection of lists in a tournament that I have EVER seen.  

I have NEVER in my years of gaming seen a pool of such incredible gamey/tournament hardcore lists. 

WOW. 

I think my guys are in for a bit of a rough time to say the least ><; 

I'm really curious now as to what kinds of lists youre going to be facing!

The scariest list i can think of os a genestealer cult shenanigans list or new marines. Other then that, im sure you can handle it no problem :)

There's the Nick N. "Muscle beach" copy paste GSC list.

There are a lot of tanky lists. Ten wraithguard, ten blightlord termy, ten sang guard +ancient, 10 regular termy lists.

That's hell to get through.

Both cron lists rocking triple doomsday, triple death croissant. There is a chaos knight list, an admech + knight list...there are two very strong looking death guard lists.

There's a wonderfully themey, yet strong vs me khorne list....

Its going to be uphilly as all hell.

It's feels like it's going to be an uphill battle vs meta lists, but on a positive note many players will not have practiced against this type of list so i'm sure you will suprise many. If the terrain is good your list has alot of options on how to play and can really punish deployment errors. Kudos for trying to make pure BA work and best of luck to you!

It's feels like it's going to be an uphill battle vs meta lists, but on a positive note many players will not have practiced against this type of list so i'm sure you will suprise many. If the terrain is good your list has alot of options on how to play and can really punish deployment errors. Kudos for trying to make pure BA work and best of luck to you!

The terrain is likely to be good!!! So, im hoping for that!

Thanks buddy!

Have you found your perfect VAS setup yet, Morticon?

Yessir.  I think the problem was me skimping on specials.  In future I want 3fist, 3 axes - just not chance/points for it now!!

Leaning towards a similar build, 3 axes. hammer on Sarge and perhaps one or two fists. The axes are key for them imo. Wounding MEQ on 2’s baby!

Yessir.  I think the problem was me skimping on specials.  In future I want 3fist, 3 axes - just not chance/points for it now!!

Leaning towards a similar build, 3 axes. hammer on Sarge and perhaps one or two fists. The axes are key for them imo. Wounding MEQ on 2’s baby!

Give the multi-fist option a bash over the Thammers.  I think they are more versatile! 

I guess. As a more 'budget' option the fist indeed isent a bad option. Still x2S and -3AP after all. And CAN do 3 damage.

I just know my own luck and I always have these random wounds doing 1 damage on 2 wound characters (like intercessors) :P

Give the multi-fist option a bash over the Thammers.  I think they are more versatile!

Yeah, been mulling it over a bit. Fist on Sarge and 2 in the squad should do fine with the 3 axes. Do you run them with a Chaplain or Captain nearby?

I guess. As a more 'budget' option the fist indeed isent a bad option. Still x2S and -3AP after all. And CAN do 3 damage.

I just know my own luck and I always have these random wounds doing 1 damage on 2 wound characters (like intercessors) :P

I was thinking that as well, but I also have the TH+SS terminators and Sanguinary Guard to wreck face, too. So there should be enough potential to take out stuff in close combat reliably.

Yeah, most of our troops have quality over quantity attacks, so you gotta make most out of them. MoD and then UWoF could be cool for the VAS though, right? Their increased resilience against high AP damage makes them quite effective to stop one big threat.

Currently trying to squeeze in a 10 men DC squad as well. So having 4 destructive units from the elite section, but then I’d have to get rid of the Predator...:(