Hints at additional Primaris releases and future changes

Also the executioner feels like a mbt.

@ ishagu, I didn't like the repulsor, because if the turret. If you removed it, it improved the look, and the executioner's turret fixed my issues with the previous turret and improved the overall aethsetic for me.

I think wave 1 of primaris was the test/play at safe range. Wave 2 is slimmed down and refined. I expect wave 3 to be more refined but have the unqiue elites and other cqc units tied to it.

Edited by Triszin

@ ishagu, I didn't like the repulsor, because if the turret. If you removed it, it improved the look, and the executioner's turret fixed my issues with the previous turret and improved the overall aethsetic for me.

I think wave 1 of primaris was the test/play at safe range. Wave 2 is slimmed down and refined. I expect wave 3 to be more refined but have the unqiue elites and other cqc units tied to it.

The Jes Goodwin interview for Voxcast was pretty clear that they started working on all this Primaris stuff 5 years ago as a complete range. I think it was designed as an entire range but they're releasing it in blocks, some of us feel that they're "responding to the community" but the range was locked in before 8th edition and Dark Imperium were even released.

Rik

The Jes Goodwin interview for Voxcast was pretty clear that they started working on all this Primaris stuff 5 years ago as a complete range. I think it was designed as an entire range but they're releasing it in blocks, some of us feel that they're "responding to the community" but the range was locked in before 8th edition and Dark Imperium were even released.

Rik

Which is why I absolutely hate when people say “oh I really like how they are listening to the community” get out of here.

Also it’s not left it’s loo.

Rik

I dont view it as them responding to the community. But to their initial designs, and refining it internally.

Rik

I dont view it as them responding to the community. But to their initial designs, and refining it internally.

I disagree, I think Jes made it pretty clear they designed a complete range in one go and then split it into release waves.

Since then rules may have changed and maybe some tweaks to the precise ordering but there's a big "vault" at GW Head Office with the entire range designed and ready to be released in the order that works best for them.

Rik

The community is not impacting the content of the releases, but they may well have slowed them down. There was backlash during the introduction of Primaris, and it was substantial in some cases. I think the negative sentiment is now being replaced by general excitement for more releases.

He said that to people at warhammer fest 2017 as well, that they had nearly 10 years worth of primaris units designed.  At the time i took it to mean concepts, but after what he said in the voxcast video it is obvious he meant fully designed units.  

They probably wont make the molds for a unit until its batch is nearing its release window, but pretty much the entire primaris range exists currently in the GW design studio computers.

Which is good if you want the studio to be able to concentrate on other ranges (whilst keeping up the neccessary GW mandated regular pace of marine releases) :)  But is bad if you don't like the primaris designs aethsetic and were hoping they would improve it as time went on :(

Edited by Robbienw

He said that to people at warhammer fest 2017 as well, that they had nearly 10 years worth of primaris units designed. At the time i took it to mean concepts, but after what he said in the voxcast video it is obvious he meant fully designed units.

They probably wont make the molds for a unit until its batch is nearing its release window, but pretty much the entire primaris range exists currently in the GW design studio computers.

Yeah, it was always going to be a case of a gradual release. You can't flood the market with 4 dozen new kits at the same time.

I think that the community has lacked patience in some cases and has been quick to judge, complain about and write off the range without seeing the full picture.

Remember the rumor back in December regarding the next Primaris release involving a unit of 1 man vehicles, a medium transport, a small flyer, a vehicle variant and heavy cqc infantry?

This was before Shadowspear. It’s starting to pan out. 2 of the 5 units are confirmed. Add in multi part kits of the units in Shadowspear and this dread and that would be a significant release. Sprinkle in some characters and heck yeah.

That Reiver Lt looks like he’s painted in First Company heraldry? Interesting!

Edited by Boldthreat

He said that to people at warhammer fest 2017 as well, that they had nearly 10 years worth of primaris units designed.  At the time i took it to mean concepts, but after what he said in the voxcast video it is obvious he meant fully designed units.  

Which is good if you want the studio to be able to concentrate on other ranges (whilst keeping up the neccessary GW mandated regular pace of marine releases) :smile.:  But is bad if you don't like the primaris designs aethsetic and were hoping they would improve it as time went on :sad.:

There's definitely a specific design they're focusing on here - sort of a melting pot of traditional 40k Astartes elements alongside a more 'special-forces' tacticool look with sleek new tech. I absolutely love it as I think it's a breath of fresh air, but I can definitely see how folks may be turned off if the elements that drew them to classic Astartes aren't as front and centre as they'd like them to be. 

The community is not impacting the content of the releases, but they may well have slowed them down. There was backlash during the introduction of Primaris, and it was substantial in some cases. I think the negative sentiment is now being replaced by general excitement for more releases.

I think this is right in that there was a backlash against Primaris but I don't see the excitement above that there already was. The same people like Primaris who always did. I suspect, from what I'm seeing on the board, most people who didn't like Primaris STILL don't like Primaris and just aren't bothering to post about it.

Sales is the real thing though. We never knew the sales for GW any way, at least not split down into each product etc. My gut is, since we have a massive focus on it from GW, boxed sets are selling well but individual kits aren't.

After all, why would you buy your army separately when you could get it in 1 or 2 boxes for cheaper?

So bringing us back on topic (See what I did there?), I reckon all these new Primaris are going to be inside a big old boxed set with them available later separately.

Exception might be the tank.

Assuming that it's the infiltrators and elininators multi part kits, it'll be the other way. We will get individual kits. Then a few months later well get a set like tooth and claw which pits some of those multi part models plus an exclusive against some other faction.

For primaris there's a pretty clear pattern of:

- easy build set

- multi part kits and slightly expanded range

- discounted boxed sets with exclusives.

Well I'm talking of new units in that regard. We get a new unit concept first in a boxed set before a more intricate box comes out for the individual kit.

Here's an odd question - how modular are new Intercessors kits etc? Are they mono build or more posable like the good old days kits?

GW seems very much focussed on the easier to build style of monopose models and I wondered if the individual boxes of stuff like Intercessor or Inceptors can be posed in different ways?

They aren't particularly modular, although there is enough general variety with a few upgrade sprues thrown in to have the individual models in squads look distinctive.

They aren't easy to build however - There is a stricter part numbering to follow.

Here's an odd question - how modular are new Intercessors kits etc? Are they mono build or more posable like the good old days kits?

Legs and torso are monopose. You have some options with position of the arms and heads. If a set of arms is holding a bolt rifle with both hands then you need to use the correct arms, but other arm options are mix and match. And you can point the head any way you like.

The direction they've gone in with the monopose kits in box sets annoys me. I paint my models in pieces because I hate trying to fit a brush behind things and it's aggravating when it's broken down so you can't do the torso and legs separate.

Remember the rumor back in December regarding the next Primaris release involving a unit of 1 man vehicles, a medium transport, a small flyer, a vehicle variant and heavy cqc infantry?

This was before Shadowspear. It’s starting to pan out. 2 of the 5 units are confirmed. Add in multi part kits of the units in Shadowspear and this dread and that would be a significant release. Sprinkle in some characters and heck yeah.

That Reiver Lt looks like he’s painted in First Company heraldry? Interesting!

In case this dread is piloted by a marine, this would even be 3 of 5 kits confirmed.

I think for hints at future releases you could look at the aeldari list. With call backs to the original marines and legions. We are seeing units that similar in function to eldar units. Look at what else is in the eldar codex. If there isnt a primaris unit that doesnt have a similar function release yet, then there probably will be in the future. From the video there looks like a primaris war walker and wave serpent. Not sure about what the other units shown are.

Well I'm talking of new units in that regard. We get a new unit concept first in a boxed set before a more intricate box comes out for the individual kit.

GW seems very much focussed on the easier to build style of monopose models and I wondered if the individual boxes of stuff like Intercessor or Inceptors can be posed in different ways?

I apologize for delving off-topic and tooting my own horn, but this might be useful to you.

The current Primaris poses—across all models, not just Intercessors—are so set in stone at the moment that, browsing through this forum, my first thought is often 'I recognize that pose, that's model X from Y' when I look at kitbashes and conversions.

Edited by Knight of the Raven

I apologize for delving off-topic and tooting my own horn, but this might be useful to you.

The current Primaris poses—across all models, not just Intercessors—are so set in stone at the moment that, browsing through this forum, my first thought is often 'I recognize that pose, that's model X from Y' when I look at kitbashes and conversions.

I can do the same with other kits to be fair. There are more space marine poses available because there are more space marine kits that use the same armour type available. The only marine kit that provides more poses in the base kit is tactical squads with 10 unique leg designs.

Honestly people put waaaay too much stock into the torso and legs being separate on space marines. You can get a mildly different selection of poses as a result but if you add too much movement they just look goofy.

Arms aren't specific to bodies for primaris, just like with space marines and can just as easily be mixed and matched. So you can use intercessor arms on hellblaster bodies and Visa versa.

I can do the same with other kits to be fair. There are more space marine poses available because there are more space marine kits that use the same armour type available. The only marine kit that provides more poses in the base kit is tactical squads with 10 unique leg designs.

Honestly people put waaaay too much stock into the torso and legs being separate on space marines. You can get a mildly different selection of poses as a result but if you add too much movement they just look goofy.

Arms aren't specific to bodies for primaris, just like with space marines and can just as easily be mixed and matched. So you can use intercessor arms on hellblaster bodies and Visa versa.

Its not just the poseability of classic marine kits with the seperate torso and legs that is advantageous though; its also the fact that you can swap the differing chest plates between all the available leg poses that adds to the variation.

Like the leg poses, there is a lot of variation in classic marine chest pieces across the range.

Edited by Robbienw

I’m hoping the boxes on the back are jet exhaust in the same vein as the Osprey VTOL. Gives me hope for it to have more than 12” movement. Regardless, as long as they keep the cost below 120 pts I’ll be satisfied.

There’s still apparently enough of the Old Marine left in me, that compared to the Boxnoughts, I still haven’t warmed up to the Redemptors or this new thing that needs a sandwich ;)

I've noticed a change in sentiment over the last month or two, and it seems there is now a lot more excitement and positivity around the future of the Primaris Marines. Lots of really healthy discussion about the upcoming units, and even the new Repulsor has most people looking forward to it.

I don't share the sentiment that this Transport, if it is one, will invalidate the Repulsor. You don't simply run a Repulsor for transporting models - you run it because of it's great firepower and the board control it provides. The Executioner is looking more appealing on paper but as someone who's lost games mainly for lack of objective control, I can say with confidence that having full access to maximum moment whilst shooting isn't to be ignored or downplayed.

I agree that the Executioner and a possible new transport won't invalidate the Repulsor.

The Executioner is the Primaris battle tank now, but the lack of mobility is going to make having more than one in a list tough. 2 of them would take up about a 3rd of an armies points in most formats, and its hard to win with that much of your army being static.

There are a lot of variables with the new transport if it even is one. Right now though I don't think the Primaris range has a ton of units that really benefit a lot from another transport. IMO its really just Hellblasters, and Gravis that you would want a transport for in the first place. The Hellblasters have enough range that your mainly putting them in a transport to protect them if your going second. Gravis would benefit but I don't see Gravis as a unit someone would spam. Either way most players aren't bringing a ton of these units, a cheap transport will have a defined role once we get a either a dedicated assault unit or a unit with closed ranged high damage weapons. 

I don't think the community has slowed down releases, GW is releasing models faster then ever granted they have had a bit of lull recently with the sylvaneth issues and the paint line.

I also think that just because GW planned out 5 years of releases it doesn't mean that they aren't paying attention to what Primaris players wanted. I'm sure that they will move some kits up and down on the release schedule based on what we want. So far we really haven't asked for anything that should come as a surprise to them. 

Thing is, taking 1 unit in 40K generally means it is phenomenal in power or very unlikely to die quickly.

Likely, if you take 1 you'll find it won't be very useful very often. That's why folk take 2 or 3 of a particular choice to ensure they have redundancy and can account for the whiff of a roll or two.

So folk will want 2 Executioners for the most part and at the costs they have? There's little room for Repulsors.

Thing is, taking 1 unit in 40K generally means it is phenomenal in power or very unlikely to die quickly.

Likely, if you take 1 you'll find it won't be very useful very often. That's why folk take 2 or 3 of a particular choice to ensure they have redundancy and can account for the whiff of a roll or two.

So folk will want 2 Executioners for the most part and at the costs they have? There's little room for Repulsors.

I would run one of each, they pose similar overall threats but at different ranges. Plus depending on what is in the repulsor the target priorities could be tough to handle