Codex: Space Marines 2.0 speculation & discussion

Guest Triszin

Since there is an event on the 3rd, I wont expect anything but a small teaser until then.

Can we assume this is the big release for 40k this year? What do you guys think?

I think the new codex is definitely one of thr big releases. We know it's coming alongside a minimum of 7 new kits which is substantial.

After Astartes it might be Sisters and that would wrap the year up.

Last I checked, character kits count toward a release. So yeah.

Phobos lieutenant

Tank thingy

Dreadnaught thingy

Multi part infiltrators

Multi part eliminators

Multi part suppressors

Not sure if we will see anything beyond those, which makes 6. Was there a good indicator of a separate captain or anything?

I'm hoping for a generic primaris weapon kit too. That would be good. But probably wont happen.

Last I checked, character kits count toward a release. So yeah.

Phobos lieutenant

Tank thingy

Dreadnaught thingy

Multi part infiltrators

Multi part eliminators

Multi part suppressors

Not sure if we will see anything beyond those, which makes 6. Was there a good indicator of a separate captain or anything?

I'm hoping for a generic primaris weapon kit too. That would be good. But probably wont happen.

The Iron Hands character would make 7 based on what we've been shown thus far.

And of course the Thunder hammer Gravis Lt!

7 new kits sounds like a lot, unless we're counting another Lieutenant and Captain etc rather than actual units and vehicles?

No 7 is the correct number once you account for the Iron Hands character. There might be more beyond that.

This is probably the most Conservative expectation.

Do we think we will definitely see those available on their own?

Had totally forgotten the iron hands character, absolutely right! 7!

I realy hope so. If I remember correctly the Scriptor is in his own sprue and should be easy to releaseon his own. For the Captain I hope for a new modell with a few extra options. Mostly some sort of melee weapon.

Feels a little like politicians fudging the figures when it's said there's a bunch of new kits when a load of them are redundant character models. No one used to count the various Librarian and Chaplains clam packs as 6 of 7 kits when trying to justify the number of releases for a Codex. People used to count unit entries.

We talk of bloat and yet the Codex will require 3 entries for a meagre Primaris Lieutenant at this rate! GW need to rejig Codex books to represent not models but a single entry that can be equipped differently thus changing his stats.

It worked previously. Imagine if in 2nd edition there was a separate entry for each and every variant of the characters there used to be! We'd say it is absurd. GW needs to consolidate their own rules.

Feels a little like politicians fudging the figures when it's said there's a bunch of new kits when a load of them are redundant character models. No one used to count the various Librarian and Chaplains clam packs as 6 of 7 kits when trying to justify the number of releases for a Codex. People used to count unit entries.

We talk of bloat and yet the Codex will require 3 entries for a meagre Primaris Lieutenant at this rate! GW need to rejig Codex books to represent not models but a single entry that can be equipped differently thus changing his stats.

It worked previously. Imagine if in 2nd edition there was a separate entry for each and every variant of the characters there used to be! We'd say it is absurd. GW needs to consolidate their own rules.

Only one of the seven listed above is a character, and we might get other units we haven't yet seen.

Welcome to 8th edition, Cap. This is the edition where arbitrary rules to define a release are thrown out to ensure there's zero confusion ;)

They don't actually count. Character models arent different units just because of the broken datasheet model. Eventually they'll come to their senses and go back to the army list model. Its the only way to represent the breadth and depth of different armies. 

Only one of the seven listed above is a character, and we might get other units we haven't yet seen.

No, 2 in 7 are characters.

Welcome to 8th edition, Cap. This is the edition where arbitrary rules to define a release are thrown out to ensure there's zero confusion ;)

Shocking!

It'll go full circle. I'm glad GW is learning from each release for various games and this manner of army building seems to work for AoS but it doesn't work fully for 40K beyond starting sets.

It's funny really - GW obviously did it to facilitate an easier start for gamers but as those gamers get more experienced and want bigger and meaner armies it becomes clumsy.

I think GW should keep the current system as an option for players - buy unit cards that have the rules and stats for a Phobos Lieutenant and mkX Lieutenant etc but the Codex should be more streamlined and have a single entry with rules for the different effects of armour and jump packs separate in a wargear section.

Who knows, we might get more stuff that way ;)

I have zero issues with the separate data sheets. I was specifically addressing the frankly silly and arbitrary tendency for there to be hidden criteria describing what does or does not count as a new kit. Can any of you remember what the main point was? I can, probably because I left the goalposts alone there.

So it's like, whatever - fine, you win. Does 5 new kits not still imply a big release? Because that was the point before everyone started to nitpick the "real" number.

I have zero issues with the separate data sheets. I was specifically addressing the frankly silly and arbitrary tendency for there to be hidden criteria describing what does or does not count as a new kit. Can any of you remember what the main point was? I can, probably because I left the goalposts alone there.

So it's like, whatever - fine, you win. Does 5 new kits not still imply a big release? Because that was the point before everyone started to nitpick the "real" number.

How about: actual different kits, counting as different kits? What does it matter if it's data sheet or army list type building if they're actually separate kits as models?

Look we're talking about Primaris Marines here, we simply can't have people STRUTTING around giving sensible opinions, it's not how we do things here!

Rik

Idaho, come on.

You said 7 kits seemed like a lot.

There are 7 confirmed kits.

If you meant 7 unit entries feels like a lot, technically you're still wrong as based on current approach, there will be 7 new unit entries (3/4 of which will be rejigged existing ones for accuracy).

((And the above is just stuff we have confirmed, I could see there being 1-2 more things we dont))

Do I think going back to a single entry with options would be good? Yes... and no. I like that the unit entry has all their stats adjusted in line. That's great. But I also like when a character can be customised which the current system doesn't allow we much of.

Perhaps I wasn't clear... I meant 7 kits from the perspective that a kit is a unit or tank not a single model. I of course am incorrect not to think of a single model as a kit but it's because I'm old school and don't really count characters, in the way I described previously as separate kits.

Semantics and I agree kinda pointless to discuss. It wasn't something I wanted to argue about for sure, rather I had a sudden bout of optimism that 7 kits referred to a couple unheard of and new units.

with some luck, maybe we'll see a few surprises!

fwiw, im pretty old school for the hobby too, been in it for 23 years myself :D

21 years for me. Been a ride, so many ups and downs.

I think there will be a surprise unit or two beyond what we expect.

There's at least two upgrade kits for Primaris coming too and the Codex seems like a good place to release it. Fists, and I'd guess Salamanders. Hopefully more than that though. An upgrade kit for each of the Chapters that has a Chapter Tactic in the Codex would be cool.

Archived