We're Gonna Get a Book!

I'm just going to say that MSU and strats like Bolter Drill or the grenade one don't really mesh in my book. I'd rather run 10 man blocks of Intercessors over running 5 man blocks.

But there could be tricks I haven't seen thst make MSU more valuable too.

Edited by Fulkes

I'm just going to say that MSU and strats like Bolter Drill or the grenade one don't really mesh in my book. I'd rather run 10 man blocks of Intercessors over running 5 man blocks.

Understandable.

But then again I can't find a point in which I would actually rely on those types of Stratagems. I'll be using Bolter Drill on things that output far more Bolter shots than a 10 man Intercessor squad would, after all.

It's the defensive strats I'm looking to spend the most points on, honestly.

Edited by Lemondish

Understandable.

But then again I can't find a point in which I would actually rely on those types of Stratagems. I'll be using Bolter Drill on things that output far more Bolter shots than a 10 man Intercessor squad would, after all.

It's the defensive strats I'm looking to spend the most points on, honestly.

I'm looking at Auto Bolt Rifles since they have a -1Ap in the tactical doctrine and should average roughly 24 hits from 10 models even before you consider stacking the strat on them.

The grenade strat would probably be best on a unit of 10 with stalker bolt rifles since it'd let them compensate against hordes by tossing out a 10d3 drag shots.

The grenade strat only really works on stalker rifle squads. Anyone else may as well just shoot their bolt guns against most targets. Rifle guys would be much better off using rapid fire and ABRs are just better already.

I take the point about cutting costs with fast attack. For suppressors to make sense you wouldn’t be able to take expensive units much elsewhere. Ultimately if you’re going heavily into centurions you’re probably not playing a brigade.

I’m not convinced Fists make the best brigades. To me that suggests an army that wants to be in tactical doctrine. I think you’d end up with a list that massacres hordes but badly lacks anti tank.

The units I like the look of most so far are planes, dreadnoughts (particularly deredeo and redemptor) and big intercessor units. Only the intercessors really need CP support. I think that a battalion, plus maybe an air wing and a vanguard, could be the way to go. Double battalion could also be good.

Oh and all the TFCs of course. Those and eliminators actually make great brigade fillers.

The grenade strat only really works on stalker rifle squads. Anyone else may as well just shoot their bolt guns against most targets. Rifle guys would be much better off using rapid fire and ABRs are just better already.

I take the point about cutting costs with fast attack. For suppressors to make sense you wouldn’t be able to take expensive units much elsewhere. Ultimately if you’re going heavily into centurions you’re probably not playing a brigade.

I’m not convinced Fists make the best brigades. To me that suggests an army that wants to be in tactical doctrine. I think you’d end up with a list that massacres hordes but badly lacks anti tank.

The units I like the look of most so far are planes, dreadnoughts (particularly deredeo and redemptor) and big intercessor units. Only the intercessors really need CP support. I think that a battalion, plus maybe an air wing and a vanguard, could be the way to go. Double battalion could also be good.

Oh and all the TFCs of course. Those and eliminators actually make great brigade fillers.

I think my brigade depends on one key Stratagem either remaining accessible from Vigilus or ported over - my beloved oft referenced Seismic Devastation (I'm sure folks are sick of hearing about it). In addition, units like stalker Intercessors actually do surprisingly respectable damage against vehicle targets on their own, provided there are enough of them able to offset the higher chance to wound.

The biggest issue with my brigade is mobility, which I think Inceptors could resolve.

Going off the leaks and watching some of the other armies in Bat reps I think I have a strong foundation for my army. Bolster inceptors are going to be fairly strong, almost as if they are an auto include and in bulk.

Aggressors too will have a place on the field. I'm really interested in heavy plasma executioners also. I know I want at least 1 full squad of 10 that I may combat squad. I haven't decided yet, but I feel like with the potential 3 damage per at strength 8/9 is going to be a lot of fun. If nothing more than for the rule of cool.

ABR are also in that category. So much to be excited for with this army. And finding room for some assault/devaststor centurions also is just icing on the cake!

I've been looking more at plasma due to it being a good bridge between the volume pf shots of something like a heavy bolter and the strength and AP of a lascannons, but what do people think of the Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannons on the Repulsor and Dreadnought?

I've been looking more at plasma due to it being a good bridge between the volume pf shots of something like a heavy bolter and the strength and AP of a lascannons, but what do people think of the Heavy Onslaught Gatling Cannons on the Repulsor and Dreadnought?

I'm going to field both. 2:1 Bolters to plasma.

The OGC is quite good on the repulsor, and imo better than plasma on the dread.

I think they're pretty good. I still see the dakka loadout as the better one for Redemptors. My Repulsors are built with lascannons, so I won't be using the HOGC on them, but I think that's probably the better choice in a vacuum. And them being a non-optional gun on an Executioner seems pretty good to me.

Luckily I kept the bits for my repulsors. I’d already switched them over to HOGCs. Though I still can’t see much of an argument now for taking a standard rep when executioners exist. Even the fact you’re forced to take bolters on the front instead of lascannons doesn’t feel like a problem for Fists.

Something I’ve just learned is that you’re not allowed to use “inheritors of the primarch” for Crimson Fists or Black Templars. That makes sense but limits the options for successors somewhat. Only actual Crimson Fists can get the +1 to hit hordes thing.

Going off the leaks and watching some of the other armies in Bat reps I think I have a strong foundation for my army. Bolster inceptors are going to be fairly strong, almost as if they are an auto include and in bulk.

Aggressors too will have a place on the field. I'm really interested in heavy plasma executioners also. I know I want at least 1 full squad of 10 that I may combat squad. I haven't decided yet, but I feel like with the potential 3 damage per at strength 8/9 is going to be a lot of fun. If nothing more than for the rule of cool.

ABR are also in that category. So much to be excited for with this army. And finding room for some assault/devaststor centurions also is just icing on the cake!

I'm so excited that my decision to play fluff has paid off so well.  So many bolters, so much infantry... just need maybe a tank or two to draw fire and blow up my enemies, but damn if Las Fusils and Bolter Centurions don't feel like anti-tank right now. 

I've been waiting on the codex release before buying any new units, and I'm working my way through some intercessors right now.  What a time to be a Son of Dorn!

I'm so excited that my decision to play fluff has paid off so well.  So many bolters, so much infantry... just need maybe a tank or two to draw fire and blow up my enemies, but damn if Las Fusils and Bolter Centurions don't feel like anti-tank right now. 

I've been waiting on the codex release before buying any new units, and I'm working my way through some intercessors right now.  What a time to be a Son of Dorn!

I was also waiting, but had made a pledge (which I am so close to completing) to paint a few units that aren't really fitting into my current plans today...

Which kind of sucks a small little bit, but overall I like having options in my collection so it's no matter in the long run. 

Btw, prices from the Chapter Master himself.

Space Marines Primaris Impulsor: £ 45.00

Space Marines Primaris Infiltrator: £ 35.00

Codex Supplement: Imperial Fists: £ 17.50

Datacards: Imperial Fists: £ 10.00

Imperial Fists Tor Garadon: £ 25.00

Imperial Fists Primaris Upgrades & Transfers: £ 15.00

Edited by Lemondish

Preview is up: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/10/16/space-marines-preview-the-imperial-fistsgw-homepage-post-1/

There isn't a whole lot of new stuff. Some of Tor Garadon's rules, confirmation of the super-doctrine, a pretty weak psychic power (sub-smite against targets in cover) and Crimson Fists can have the Fist of Vengeance again.

I guess Garadon does 4 damage hits on vehicles in melee, which is decent if he can get up close to one. Otherwise he just seems like Feirros minus the things that make Feirros good.

Smack in the face for Crimson players...have a feeling it's going to be a mix of white dwarf rules and the vigilus strats for us. And Pedro remains a tiny marine who can't take the fist of vengeance.

Actually what's even worse for Crims is that the doctrine rule for IF doesn't mix all that well with extra dakka buffs vs hordes.

6 Devastator Centurions

Chaplain (Focus)

Chapter Master w/ Eye of Hyp

36 AP-2 heavy bolter shots, hitting on 2s. Reroll all non-6s to hit. Re-roll 1s to wound. No penalty for moving, Ignores cover.

<<Runs away crying>>

I ran the +1 to wound against the closest unit canticle and it is freaking nasty!

Smack in the face for Crimson players...have a feeling it's going to be a mix of white dwarf rules and the vigilus strats for us. And Pedro remains a tiny marine who can't take the fist of vengeance.

Actually what's even worse for Crims is that the doctrine rule for IF doesn't mix all that well with extra dakka buffs vs hordes.

All I see are useful choices I could make depending on what i am facing. Against vehicle spam I stay in Devastator Doctrine for a few turns. Against hordes I grin and switch to Tactical sooner. Of course my Crimson Fists will do better vs hordes, that is their whole schtick.

All I see are useful choices I could make depending on what i am facing. Against vehicle spam I stay in Devastator Doctrine for a few turns. Against hordes I grin and switch to Tactical sooner. Of course my Crimson Fists will do better vs hordes, that is their whole schtick.

Agreed. I get an ability that's good against hordes and an ability that's good against vehicles. This means I'm good against hordes and against vehicles. Good times.