Chazzmos' Wolftime

Chazzmos

Yea i really do like those helms on mkX. They always read a bit "Dorny" to me but its likely the only context id seen that conversion. It totally makes sense we would have those with a high number of mkIII. Cant wait to see you paint them, i think your style will really make them look brutal!

@sbarnby71 Ta! I like the idea of squads picking up certain helmets and adapting them while out on extended crusades, but most importantly for me it just needs to look cool :D

@peteysodes Yeah, I realised quickly that people associate certain helmet types with certain chapters.  I've never played or gotten into HH (apart from Wolves backstory), is MKIII something that Wolves are more known for?

I've been looking at them for a few days and I'm warming to them.  I think I'll paint them up with them on and can just replace them if I really don't like the look I can swap them out.  The fallback is just more beardy heads!

After sleeping on it and doing a bit of Instagram browsing, I think I've got a new plan.

I really like the Soul Haunters that ThunderWulfen has designed:

0X0y3TV.jpg

I think I might try something similar, but with more like war paint on the helmet, and try using a technique show by Vince Venturella by mixing pigment and paint:

I'm starting with this guy:

SnjMPA2.jpg

His Soul Haunters have a lovely gray armour, will take a peek at the youtube link when I get done at work, as youtube does not work on my company PC

Have you puttied the grill to smooth out the faceplate? Some liquid GS might be the way to go, to get that blank face plate you are going for,

I love that the soul haunters model is a hell blaster. That army is going to look really aggressive :).

Agreed - I’m really looking forward to how my Assault Hellblasters look with some Assault Intercessor bodies/legs.

Chazzmos, that’s some nice inspiration you found there, but I have to come back to “I really like the Mk3 helms on Tacticus armor.” :D

@Dantay Those Soul Haunters are some of my favourite marines, so grimdark and full of character.  I haven't smoothed the faceplate fully yet, I will put some greenstuff or other putty over the top to smooth it out.  Maybe even just some gloss varnish.

@Jorin Thunderwulfen has got some amazing conversions on Instagram, they all look particularly fierce.

@Bryan I would love pretty much all running legs for my army :D   I do like the Mk3 too, I just need to find the right models for it... I'm not certain these guys are it.

I resculpted the hair on my Blade Guard that I wasn't happy with.  Still not my favourite one, but it's an improvement:

UOur49y.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@Dantay Those Soul Haunters are some of my favourite marines, so grimdark and full of character. I haven't smoothed the faceplate fully yet, I will put some greenstuff or other putty over the top to smooth it out. Maybe even just some gloss varnish.

@Jorin Thunderwulfen has got some amazing conversions on Instagram, they all look particularly fierce.

@Bryan I would love pretty much all running legs for my army :D I do like the Mk3 too, I just need to find the right models for it... I'm not certain these guys are it.

I resculpted the hair on my Blade Guard that I wasn't happy with. Still not my favourite one, but it's an improvement:

UOur49y.jpg

Dayumn! Honestly the best wolf conversion of the blade guard I have seen yet!

@tangoalphatwo Thanks mate! I'm keen to get some paint on them and see how they look.

I've made a bit of progress on the Assault Intercessors, though I need to get to the Bladguard to get ready for a tournament in a few weeks time.

MQCD5ep.jpg

c26hzM6.jpg

The MkIII is working for me :D

@Triszin You shall have no shame Triszin, your wolves are amazing! And that gunship you're working on.... :wub:

@PeteySodes I usually use a cheap, foldable light booth with some lamps, but that photo of the Blade Guard was just a white piece of paper and light from my window in the morning.  I just use my Pixel 4XL phone to take photos.  I need to make sure I get enough light in the future, as that photos really shows what some bright light does!