What are you looking forward to most in the RG supplement?

Between me, you, Major, Duz and the others, when the we have the supplement in our hands we'll shake out some optimal Firstborn, Primaris and mixed army build ideas that are fun and competitive. Leave the craziness for FB, Dakka, and others on those sites who don't understand the game is won in deployment, and maneuvering in the movement phase.

I don't agree with Reese step by step by he mentioned something the other day. A good Raven Guard pilot is actually going to cause some "feel bad" moments when the opponent discovers half his characters died by T2 and all his best "Buff" or "Smash captain-ish" are no more.

Agreed.

Personally, I'm tempted to run max Eliminators now every time - with RG special rule, it puts us in the unique position to reliably kill anything south of Gman in a maximum of 2 rounds. Forget GSC. We don''t have the sledgehammer, but in an age of Bubble-Herohammer, we have a Herohammer-hammer. What's left after the buff characters are dead will be dealt with in other ways.

If Shrike turns out to be roughly as cheap as Feirros, I do see some more unconventional use for him - use him to buff gunline turn 1 in Dev doctrine. Turn 2, switch to Tac doctrine, jump up the board and join Inceptors (for reroll to hit at AP-2) while near enough for some CC reivers to get a charge reroll. DS deployable firebase with CC screen, could be quite flexible. The upcoming turns, jump around with Inceptors (who kill chaff/screens), and personally finish off the one or other nearby unit. With Inceptors going up to 3W (and surviving twice as many 2D shots), it might stick around for a while. His CC capacities might not be the ideal thing to use all the time - better be opportunistic and keep back the one or other round to survive longer. It's still a glass cannon...

We got a warlord trait that lets us scout deploy the warlord + another infantry unit.  I can't think of anything better really.  It is Christmas at the Ravenspire.  We also got a stratagem that lets us put any infantry into deepstrike reserve.

That opens up options no other army has.

Something I'm thinking about...

6 Assault Centurions and a smash captain 9" out on turn 1.

10 Terminators and a jump pack librarian with null zone 9"  out on turn 1.  

Grav Centurions in deepstrike reserve landing on a building turn 2 and zapping something with the new grav strat from the main codex.

Some very cool psychic powers for the RG that turn Librarians into some powerful assassins.

One sets their strength equal to their Ld, so 9!

The other makes attacks resolve at ap4 if ld is higher than the enemies...

Combine with a force stave to really hurt the big stuff.

I think that is the same power doing both.

Is that (or either if they're separate) self cast only, or can you hand it out?. Because that's the kind of thing I think will turn shrike into a fairly respectable threat.

That warlord trait and stratagem are also very powerful. I feel like the alpha strike is still better than the beta, surgical strike.

That Warlord trait is amazing.

6 Assault Centurions turn 1 charge and shoot. Easy lol.

If you don't go first deploy a shooting unit in cover nearer the enemy.

a 10 man blob of shooty terminators would work well also.

Here is the secret tech... you make a primaris ancient your warlord and have him scout deploy with 6 assault centurions.  Hilarity!

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

Watched the review video...there is definitely nice stuff in there. The only shame in it is absolutely no vehicle buffs, not even for Invictors. Sounds like infantry only would be viable and intended.

SftS got changed to deep strike - which isn't bad, when considering we could drop hellblasters in RF range, centurions or aggressors. Or even flamer centurions when going successor with +3" range. Or 10 autobolt intercessors - with the vigilus-derived strat, that's 45 auto-hits at AP-1.

The WL trait is not a scout deployment - it's the old SftS. We all know what that can do...

Shrike's charge reroll for phobos also stacks nicely with the existing vanguard WL trait (+1 to the charge roll) - 8+ rerollable is not that bad.

And I'm absolutely impressed by all the assassination methods.

Shrike with his 18" pistol, the relic primaris sniper rifle (replaces stalker/occulus/instigator), the relic pistol, Eliminators, phobos captains, phobos librarian mind bullets, and I've probably forgotten one or two. That's going to be nuts (and fluffy) for Raptors. Though it could be hilarious to go successor with Stealth and Master Artificier, and turn those few-shot units up to eleven.

Edited by MajorNese

Glad shrike is cheaper.

Is there a point by point list of the previewed items yet? Might be too early. I'm traveling so I can't cramp a video in yet.

Excited SftS is better. That was a concern of mine too.

Reroll to hit and wound? That's not in Marksman's Honours any more since the V2 codex. Now it's just +1D, and to be honest - as awesome as this makes the gun, there's bigger shenanigans you could do with a WL trait. At least with Master Artificier successor doctrine- full rerolls it is.

But still, the bolts are a good idea. Ignoring LoS with AP-3 in tac doctrine and 36" range will work. Again, constant threat to enemy characters - if they can hide in vehicles and not buff stuff, that might be the time to hide. And the usual guard battery HQ will suffer quickly enough...

Edited by MajorNese

I feel like there needs to be a spreadsheet for the sniper type weapons so people can really know what to expect.

For example, eliminators still won't eliminate a 4 wound t3 character in one round of shooting on average. The phobos captain has a pretty decent shot, as you hit on 2s rerolling and wound on 2s. Shrike also doesn't kill the aforementioned support character either. Only sniper blobs and stalkers on stratagem will really paste characters, and the scouts fall off vs bigger characters.

Well, I see GW charges tax (I've never ordered from them online but it makes sense) so I'll probably just call my FLGS to pre-order for me. As nice as the limited edition codex is I don't think I can justify buying it. I think I'm in for the supplement and data cards and will hold off on models for now.

I've been keeping tabs on the Facebook Raven Guard group I'm in, and it's honestly pretty frustrating.

I'm watching a bunch of people who play a Chapter FAMOUS for being masters of asymmetrical warfare who are flat out refusing to think outside the "pile everything into a reroll bubble" box that the game has become.

C'mon people, you're RAVEN GUARD, not Imperial Fists.

Let other Chapters cram everything into a reroll bubble. And then take their damn bubble away from them.

^ THIS.

Well, I see GW charges tax (I've never ordered from them online but it makes sense) so I'll probably just call my FLGS to pre-order for me. As nice as the limited edition codex is I don't think I can justify buying it. I think I'm in for the supplement and data cards and will hold off on models for now.

Pre orders haven't gone up in the US have they?

Pre orders haven't gone up in the US have they?

Not yet, not sure what time they do as I've never pre-ordered anything. If my store won't let me do it over the phone with them I'll probably order from GW. I don't get to the store unless I am planning on playing because it's out of the way of my normal commute by about 40 minutes.

Honestly, after watching the Winters SEO video, I'm in love. This book gives us untold amounts of shenanigans, and I love all the movement utility.

This book especially makes me want to play Herohammer, which I enjoy immensely.

I've seen most of the rules now. It's very good.

I'm not going to say RG are better than Iron Hands or anything like that, but they are definitely strong. A good RG list piloted by a good player will definitely give my Ultras a hard time, if not beat them.

The army is both flexible in deployment and adept in applying pressure, which actually ends up steering the game if applied correctly.

Double Battalion will be mandatory, maybe even an extra Vanguard/Spearhead detachment on top. Relics and Warlord traits are going to impact significantly and CP need to fuel the army in the early turns.

Also, you should all consider Grav Centurions in the army. A prime unit to use the new deployment traits or strats - these guys can be epic damage dealers for a small CP investment.

Edited by Ishagu