Pyschic Awakening: Speculation

Triszin

Seems like 2020 will be the year GW slowed the heck down.

Not a complaint mind you, but with the studio tackling Imperial Armour and likely trying to see where the dust settles they could be trying to get a handle on the game and move forward from there post-PA rather than continuing to push out codices so fast you'd think they needed to release one every month or be consumed by the warp.

That always seemed to be the plan, to me. Rush out the initial codices as fast as possible to bring everyone up to speed for 8th, then Psychic Awakening to repeat that to bring everyone up to "modern" 8th, with custom Craftworld rules, etc. Once this has been completed, they'll slow right down to the previous release timeframes.

That always seemed to be the plan, to me. Rush out the initial codices as fast as possible to bring everyone up to speed for 8th, then Psychic Awakening to repeat that to bring everyone up to "modern" 8th, with custom Craftworld rules, etc. Once this has been completed, they'll slow right down to the previous release timeframes.

I don't think they're going to go back to 1-2 codexes a year (probably going to see at least quarterly releases), but it will definitely be slow than 2019.

Whilst I appreciate new rules for us all to use Psychic Awakenings lore really isnt doing anything for me, it just seems a bit 'meh'. Same :censored: different day in the Imperium of Man it seems... 

Edited by Slave to Darkness

Whilst I appreciate new rules for us all to use Psychic Awakenings lore really isnt doing anything for me, it just seems a bit 'meh'. Same :censored: different day in the Imperium of Man it seems... 

There are some good plot hooks, but it needs some real winners and losers, or at least some "okay, there's the story, here's some missions you can play to determine the outcome for yourself" stuff.

There are some good plot hooks, but it needs some real winners and losers, or at least some "okay, there's the story, here's some missions you can play to determine the outcome for yourself" stuff.

Yeah, theres no main course here, just a couple of starters that tease the pallet. A few character deaths would be nice I think. 

Yeah, theres no main course here, just a couple of starters that tease the pallet. A few character deaths would be nice I think. 

I don't know if we always need to kill characters, at least not the ones we can put on the table, but yeah, some more stakes would be nice.

Thing is other than the dude from Dark Vengeance (who technically wasnt really a special character) we have not actually killed off anybody though, its amazing how they can progress the plot and still let it stagnate. At least we aint sat here nearly a decade growing beards waiting for our faction(s) to get updated I guess. 

Thing is other than the dude from Dark Vengeance (who technically wasnt really a special character) we have not actually killed off anybody though, its amazing how they can progress the plot and still let it stagnate. At least we aint sat here nearly a decade growing beards waiting for our faction(s) to get updated I guess. 

Jacobus died in 2nd ed, Tycho is dead, and Kell is too.

And that's just the ones I can think of without trying very hard.

I don't know if we always need to kill characters, at least not the ones we can put on the table, but yeah, some more stakes would be nice.

Yeah, killing off characters with official models seems like giving the middle finger to players who have bought and painted them. They killed off Tycho (although at least we can still field him). Eldrad's death on the Blackstone Fortress got completely retconned.

I, personally, would not want for Logan to die. Or Ulrik. Or Ragnar. Or Bjorn.

(Because we already went through quite a few beatings in the last few years. ...and I'd kinda want a decisive win for once, as many factions crave.)

And I doubt Blood Angels Players want to say goodbye to Dante.

Or Dark Angels players to Belial or Azrael.

Or [Faction]-players to [Faction Charavter of your choice].

That doesn't mean there aren't stakes.

GW should flesh out side-characters more.

Egil Ironwolf never had rules. (His Company had a Formation in 7th)

He never had a model, only a GW-example of a kitbash.

But it was STILL a loss to the Space Wolves Players.

Id say they realised they made a mistake in how this was pitched. I get what they tried to do but it needed to be more revelatory. Basically it was nowhere near as big a deal as they made it out to be

New story out today

New drinking game too: take a shot everytime they say "wolf". You'll be blitzed by the end of the first paragraph.

I got something better!

Absolutely boring and generic, even tho the last one wasn't the most brilliant and reminded me of the Sage from Asterix and obelix, but not in a good way.

...so I made you a Bingo list:

[ ] Uncreative Space Wolf Name (take distorted Norse god's name and add random wolf body parts)

[ ] BEAST name-dropped, repeatedly. (Not monster. Or some Fenrisian word... nah

.. BEAST!)

[ ] He's a savage - feral and wild!

[ ] Pointy teeth, do not forget!

[ ] ...and he drinks mjod!

[ ] Generic Vision Dream

Followed by:

+ [ ] Awaken in Shock

+ [ ] No recollection of where/how one fell asleep

+ [ ] Sweat!!!

+ [ ] Room super ominously cold (just like Njal's. Or Kva's.)

[ ] Add new made up word for Fenrisian vocabulary, that's not really needed, to describe a distinctive thing.

[ ] Frost/Ice/Storm/Lightning

[ ] Howl/Growl/Snarl

[ ] Stalk/Prowl/Pace

[ ] Atleast 10 mentions of Wolf in the first 3 paragraphs - people need to know its a Space wolves story!

Bonus points:

[ ] ...of Fenris

[ ] Pack!

[ ] Morkai's Teeth! (Not like there are 12 other Wolves of mythical relevance...)

[ ] Wyrd

[ ] The Wolf within

...and that's just us.

Not to speak of the super stern dutiful Imperial Fist or super wise Sage of the White Scars.

(Successor Chapters? What are those? No one remembers those...)

Like, i could live if this was a contest winner for a Black Library student writing contest or so.

But coming from GW proper, that's just... meh.

The whining about the Space Wolve stuff is getting old. It's almost like Space Wolves players don't even like their own faction. You don't see Blood Angels players whine nearly as much about mentioning of blood, angels, rage and so on.

The difference is wolfwolfwolfwolfwolf. Wolves aren't the entire identity of the Space Wolves, but Games Workshop has made it so. Just look at 30k Wolves for an example of what we want.