Ultramarines Supplement

Captain Idaho

Cheap transports for Ultramarines seems like a reasonable way to keep our guys alive. An easier prospect for Classic Marines than Primaris due to cheaper costs to transport 10 models.

It's kinda frustrating since everyone waited for a cheap transport to overcome some the assault issues of Primaris.

Maybe it is a balance issue - can't have EVERYTHING in one army I guess.

I think sniper Intercessors will be a great pick as fire support mind. Multiple damage weapons is great and to be able to plink away a couple wounds from a distance even in vehicle a will make a difference.

Yea they missed a trick with the transport. They should have made the kit with a choice of open top or closed. Open top carries less but allows the move then disembark. And the close top allows 10 pax carrying capacity but no move then disembark. Or just let primaris in pods...I just have dreams of having my agressors getting out the pod and double shooting due to ultras Edited by Subtleknife

Guilliman not getting the Chapter Tactic in a Super Heavy detachment is pants on head idiotic.

He can still get it in a Supreme Command Detachment.

Yeap. But it's a chunk of points on HQs to do that, limiting it to bigger games (which I'm fine with, I don't like him turning up in small games). But, like Prot said, it's more the principle that Guilliman can be taken and unable to use his own Chapter Tactics.

Guilliman not getting the Chapter Tactic in a Super Heavy detachment is pants on head idiotic.

Not really viable in 90% of games

Not really viable in 90% of games

Yeap. But it's a chunk of points on HQs to do that, limiting it to bigger games (which I'm fine with, I don't like him turning up in small games). But, like Prot said, it's more the principle that Guilliman can be taken and unable to use his own Chapter Tactics.

I wasn't making a comment on viability; simply that that is an option.

Just a couple of games in and I am really surprised at this. The Intercessors probably won't be the most powerful unit in the competitive meta, but for me it's the home run hit. There's really a valid reason now for taking multiples of them in decent numbers, They're no joke.

I'm thinking Primaris will work best with a mini horde 30-40 Intercessors as a base for an all Primaris army.

I run 3 full squads of intercessors, every time I go full primaris. 2 bolt rifle, with power sword sgt, 1 with auto bolt rifle, with power fist sgt. The Auto crew jold backfield waiting for da' jump or some other backfield trick.

They get work done.

Just finished a 5 man Stalker crew for backfield MSU.

Looking forward to the new book.

Just a couple of games in and I am really surprised at this. The Intercessors probably won't be the most powerful unit in the competitive meta, but for me it's the home run hit. There's really a valid reason now for taking multiples of them in decent numbers, They're no joke.

I'm thinking Primaris will work best with a mini horde 30-40 Intercessors as a base for an all Primaris army.

I was actually considering getting ten more marines for this. Just drop the Repulsor I have and bring more bodies.

They are basically Sternguard with 4-10 squad size, no war gear options, and the Bane of Tyranids rule, as you note.

That means that, with Chaplain Cassius in support to give them the +1 to Hit for shooting attacks, Tactical Doctrine active (for -1 AP on their Special Issue Bolters), and the Sternguard special stratagem to also add +1 to Wound (they have the "Sternguard" Key Word, IIRC), shooting at a Carnifex a squad of 10 has 20 x S4 AP-3 D1 shots at 30", which averages out to 19-20 hits, 14-15 wounds, and 12-13 Unsaved Wounds after armor saves... pretty tasty against basically any Tyranid targets!

Sorry if I missed it, but do we know if you can take two of the successor traits and still use the supplement? Or will you have to use the ultras tactic to use the book?

Yes, you can.

If you have the Inheritors of the Primarch tactic, however, you get greater access to certain parts (eg, Relics, and certain Stratagems which are more effective with the Codex Discipline Tactic). If you don't have the IotP tactic, you can only take Special Issue Wargear and not the Relics (with the exception of one from a Stratagem).