BA Codex 0.2 Speculation/Discussion

Indefragable

White scars: Master of snares WL trait. golly gee??

Imagine if BA got something similar??? I hope this PDF isn't hey here are your primaris units- Enjoy the spendmoneys!! Then I might as well repaint this army lol

Edited by SanguiniusJr

White scars: Master of snares WL trait. :cuss??

Imagine if BA got something similar??? I hope this PDF isn't hey here are your primaris units- Enjoy the spendmoneys!! Then I might as well repaint this army lol

Well, prepare to buy some white primer. We’re super lucky if we’ll get anything more than the new units + Angels of Death.

Fingers crossed for a stratagem, but nothing is certain.

White scars: Master of snares WL trait. :censored:??

Not sure what you are expecting. The PDF will literally be just the new Primaris units, new point costs and Shock Assault. GW never promised us anything else and frankly if it were more they could have just as well give us a new Codex instead. So ... have fun repainting your army I guess?

Maybe its from year after year of disappointment, so expectations are super low.....but I'd be ECSTATIC with only the Litanies/Chaplain changes along with Angels of Death (including Doctrines).  

If i got that, I'd want for nothing.  Everything else would be gravy.  

I think the PDF update will see Shock Assault, Litanies, access to Librarius psyker powers, points adjustments, 1-2 wargear/unit oddballs (like suddenly we get Dev Cents but not assault Centurions, or something head-scratching like that), and the new units.

I think anything that fundamentally changes a shared data sheet (like Chaplain) will change, but I don’t think we’ll get Doctrines until our own 2.0 ‘dex

I think the PDF update will see Shock Assault, Litanies, access to Librarius psyker powers, points adjustments, 1-2 wargear/unit oddballs (like suddenly we get Dev Cents but not assault Centurions, or something head-scratching like that), and the new units.

I think anything that fundamentally changes a shared data sheet (like Chaplain) will change, but I don’t think we’ll get Doctrines until our own 2.0 ‘dex

I think you're very optimistic man, a true blood angel!

I guess I've fallen to the rage, as I expect shock assault and primaris squads... plus point adjustments. I'm not convinced we'll see other datasheet changes or rule changes for now.

Out of curiosity, would you guys be happy with a supplement book being bolted on to the standard space marine codex?

The supplements we've seen so far have been very good for lore, themed traits, powers, etc

Out of curiosity, would you guys be happy with a supplement book being bolted on to the standard space marine codex?

The supplements we've seen so far have been very good for lore, themed traits, powers, etc

Bit on the fence actually. We’d get updated point costs sooner and probably more powerful stuff AND BA are actually a codex compliant chapter. So if our place and the Templars’ were switched, it’d make sense.

That said, having your own book is a beauty of its own. And, you don’t actually need to buy C:SM every time there is an update to it.

I can live with having our own codex as long as we get the non-chapter-specific SM stratagems and units in it.

What non-codex units do we have? Sanguinary Guard, Death Company, a few variant Dreadnoughts and a selection of special characters. We also have the Baal Predator which frankly could be handled as just different weapons fit of the regular Pred.

Overall I feel that we could probably manage with a supplement to the main SM codex.

I would not be happy with that personally. Whilst it would be a practical choice and probably not be any worse than current codexes, I have a number of big concerns,

1) GW changes their mind, if they decide to fold all the supplements back into one codex in the future it’ll increase the chances we will also be folded in if we’re a supplement.

2) Having our own codex gives the Army a certain status. I’ve been in since 2nd edition so I’ve no illusions, we have a codex because we’re popular. We’ve become more divergent because we’ve got that codex but that’s not why we have it or maintain it. Being just another supplement reduces that status risking some of that popularities. The chance to buy a codex plus supplement or just a codex for the big 3 could also increase our popularity, and popularity is key to keeping our own codex. This popularity helps in the game but also gives us more background participation and novels which is key for me

3) This is the big one for me, I would agree with those who say we’re broadly a codex chapter with some significant differences but I’d personally like to see us go a lot more to the differences side. I feel we can go much more heavily in that direction whilst remaining broadly codex compliant. Whilst going so far as to not be codex compliant like the wolves would be a bit far for me I’d rather that than to be a codex chapter with one or two extra units.

This is just my feelings, most of my reasons are selfish if I'm honest, the health of the game could possibly improve with only one marines dex and more focus on xenos, but I’m a bit of a BA fanboy to be honest, loved them since Space Crusade. They just fit me perfectly, so a reduced presence of them in game and/or lore would weaken my desire to continue this expensive hobby.

One thing I’ll add that is more critical for me than if we’re in a supplement or our own codex is that we get someone to make our next codex that has some passion. I feel that our last few codexes have been largely by the numbers passionless projects produced because we’re popular by people who didn’t really put the time and effort in. The last codex that exited me was the one that really pushed our Angelic side it introduced the Sanguinor and the Sanguiary guard, I believe it was the ward dex, with deep striking land raiders. A codex with problems but it was exciting and full of passion. The codex that followed cut back that significantly it was boring as hell and helped push me out of 40k for a few years. They need to get some people together read over every BA codex, read the novels such as Dante, Devastation, the Lamartes one, that quite touching Asteroth short that came out a few months back, all stuff like that and put some effort in. Not take the flavour of the new standard dex, add it to our last codex and do some balancing and that’s what I feel our last few codexes have been.

Edited by pandion40

Hi there,

We know from Warhammer-Community what chapter tactics are for :

Ultramarines (who get a supplement)
White Scars (who get a supplement)
Crimson Fists
Black Templars
Imperial Fists
Raven guard 
Salamanders
Iron Hands
These last 6 chapters usually do not get a proper codex (sorry Black Templars).

We know that there are 6 supplements supposed to be released:
1.Ultramarines - revealed
2.White Scars - revealed
Leaving 4 slots to fill, for which the 6 aforementioned chapters are too numerous. So for the 4 remaining releases what about:
3.Dark Angels (teased for the next WD)
4.Space Wolves
5.Blood Angels 
6.Death Watch

and left over crying : Grey Knights who do not use Primaris Units and are thus not concerned. 

And till our release we get the new units as a PDF.

What do you think of this?