Vulkan He'Stan in a Drop Pod

Aothaine

So, not sure if you've seen the updated rules for Mr He'Stan. But if not you can follow this link: Vulkan He'Stan

So, this dude is a mini-Gulliman. He allows rerolls of all failed to hit and to wound rolls for flamers and more importantly meltas within 6". What I'm thinking now is that you throw him in a pod with some veterans, all with meltas. Drop the pod clump them up and have a field day with 9+ melta gun shots. 

Pretty damn crazy if you ask me. Maybe even better than Gulliman as you can drop this bad boy into a drop pod. Not sure if you can do that with big daddy G.

Basically he's returned to how he was when he first arrived, people sticking him in a DP with a Sternguard squad full of combi-flamers/melta and heavy flamers

It's even sillier now though since this edition has split fire and you can throw in accompanying pods with melta devs to get a wider alpha strike thanks to range. Support that with the new walker and you've got a party.

• 2 weeks later...

So, not sure if you've seen the updated rules for Mr He'Stan. But if not you can follow this link: Vulkan He'Stan

So, this dude is a mini-Gulliman. He allows rerolls of all failed to hit and to wound rolls for flamers and more importantly meltas within 6". What I'm thinking now is that you throw him in a pod with some veterans, all with meltas. Drop the pod clump them up and have a field day with 9+ melta gun shots.

Pretty damn crazy if you ask me. Maybe even better than Gulliman as you can drop this bad boy into a drop pod. Not sure if you can do that with big daddy G.

It's not great tbh. You're investing a huge amount of points in a suicide bomb that only has 9 shots. Even with reroll hits+ reroll wounds you're still likely to bounce off anything with an invul. Also, it's super easy to defend against if they have any kind of chaff unit. Since 12" is your max range and you have to stay outside of 9.

If your opponent deploys dumb you might take 12 wounds off a knight (which is the average) but that's at the cost of 126ptsish of dead meltaguns, 65ptsish of dead droppod, however many points of dead vulkan and 135ptsish of dead sternguard. Because they WILL NOT survive another turn being low wound count units 9" away from your opponents army. For almost 500pts you could do probably do better. Plasma for safety or special issue ammo for cost efficiency.

Basically he's returned to how he was when he first arrived, people sticking him in a DP with a Sternguard squad full of combi-flamers/melta and heavy flamers

How's that work when flamers are only 8" again?

It's not great tbh. You're investing a huge amount of points in a suicide bomb that only has 9 shots. Even with reroll hits+ reroll wounds you're still likely to bounce off anything with an invul. Also, it's super easy to defend against if they have any kind of chaff unit. Since 12" is your max range and you have to stay outside of 9.

If your opponent deploys dumb you might take 12 wounds off a knight (which is the average) but that's at the cost of 126ptsish of dead meltaguns, 65ptsish of dead droppod, however many points of dead vulkan and 135ptsish of dead sternguard. Because they WILL NOT survive another turn being low wound count units 9" away from your opponents army. For almost 500pts you could do probably do better. Plasma for safety or special issue ammo for cost efficiency.

How's that work when flamers are only 8" again?

This is why I think it's going to be invictor war suit plus melta' devs for the new vulkan hammer alpha strike, instead of the traditional sternguard. 

Certainly a viable strategy at the moment, however I reckon as soon as Sallies end up getting updated with our supplement and whatnot we’ll see him cross the Rubicon like all the others, and he’ll end up being a lot less useful in general, as you’ll no longer be able to put him in the same transport as most of the units he’s good at buffing. Most of the units that benefit from his rules have melta and flamer weapons and the only Primaris unit that really benefit by having those types of weapons are the aggressors. Edited by Captain Smashy Pants