How has the new codex performed for you?

Medjugorje

Do the litany and the Grimgram's special rule have different names?

If so it sounds good to me, and very appropriate for the angriest loyalist in the galaxy.

Yes and they have different wording as well. 

If you have Grimaldus's Aura, use Fury of the First, and chant the 6+ generating another attack litany, would they stack? The grimaldus aura and the litany for 2 extra attacks on a six to hit with fury of the first?

In fact, with fury of the first active (or any other aura +1) you get 2 attacks with 6s and one with 5s..:wink:

Not quite. Exhortation works on an unmodified roll of a 6. Grimaldus is a roll of a 6+.  PF and TH subtract one from the hit and fury of the first adds one. So if you roll a 5, nothing happens except a normal hit. If you roll a 6 and both are active you get 2 bonus attacks. 

Now if your TDA are using LC then yes, what you say works because the 5 becomes a 6 triggering Grimaldus Unmatched Zeal. 

I played a game yesterday. This time I started to go on in the Assault Phase in 4rd round. It was not that huge bonus. I think without the Supplement there is something wrong... it feels that we are missing something. But honestly - Chaplain with Canticle of hate is soooo great - at this point i always use the special crozius - but I think in the futuere (if there will be the crusader helmet) it is necessary to get this relic. 

At this point I want discuss the whole Codex - each unit.

1. Lets start with the crusadersquad:

in choppy form its okay and it makes a lot of fun - but to be honest - a point decrease for Initiate to 12 is accurate but Neophytes need to be pricier - i hope GW will make a huge drop-down.  A small squad is playable with fists or thunderhammers/swords,... 

the shooty one is magnificent - nothing to say.

I would say : very good feeling to play them.

I played crusaders versus orcs and genestealer purestrains last weekend. The one Bonus attack is felt.

I never got to the assault Phase, as they were almost tabeled by the end of turn two.

Crusaders feel apropriate. They are a threat in melee, but not OP. Could use a Reduktion in price or a stratagem to let them hurt tougher targets rasier though, as you dont get the weight of dice orcs do.

Emperors Champion and Marshal Law are absolute must takes I feel. That being said the EC should think about keeping weaker enemy characters alive when in melee. When the genestealer patriarch dropoed after one turn of combat and honour the chapter, the loss of two attacks on the EC was felt. That being said, for his points especially, He is still a must take to improved the punchiness of crusaders.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Maybe it's just my luck, but I've never been impressed by Vigilus Sword Brothers. In theory, they hit hard for cheap but they can easily fold to a couple poor saves due to their single wound and 3+/3++ save. They will certainly never make it to combat without a transport.l, making them closer to ~160 points.

In looking at some Cataphractii Terminators with LC now. Coming in at 180, they aren't that much more expensive when you consider they have deep strike built into their cost.

2+/4++ and two wounds makes them tougher to small arms fire, but more vulnerable to D2 weapons with AP-2 or better. They come in swinging 4 attacks, 1 more than Sword Brothers. If we say the sword Brothers have used their strat, both are actually equal in melee power. Fury of the First is another option that the Sword Brothers don't have access to, making the Cataphractiis a little stronger in melee should they need it.

Cataphractiis are just as killy without spending any CPs, which is huge since it's an initial cost of 3 just to nominate then activate our SBs for one fight phase. 80 points for 3 CP is a steal in my book, and that's before you count the price of transporta for the SBs.

The big points in favor of SBs is

- Slightly more vulnerable to AP-2

- No access to FNP strat in combat, (though the times where I use this a few and far between. Transhuman phisiology looks great for the Cataphractiis though since they will naturally attract low volume high power weapons)

- Movement speed of 4" (We want to deep strike these guys any ways, and our CT makes this pretty reasonable.)

Maybe it's just my luck, but I've never been impressed by Vigilus Sword Brothers. In theory, they hit hard for cheap but they can easily fold to a couple poor saves due to their single wound and 3+/3++ save. They will certainly never make it to combat without a transport.l, making them closer to ~160 points.

In looking at some Cataphractii Terminators with LC now. Coming in at 180, they aren't that much more expensive when you consider they have deep strike built into their cost.

2+/4++ and two wounds makes them tougher to small arms fire, but more vulnerable to D2 weapons with AP-2 or better. They come in swinging 4 attacks, 1 more than Sword Brothers. If we say the sword Brothers have used their strat, both are actually equal in melee power. Fury of the First is another option that the Sword Brothers don't have access to, making the Cataphractiis a little stronger in melee should they need it.

Cataphractiis are just as killy without spending any CPs, which is huge since it's an initial cost of 3 just to nominate then activate our SBs for one fight phase. 80 points for 3 CP is a steal in my book, and that's before you count the price of transporta for the SBs.

The big points in favor of SBs is

- Slightly more vulnerable to AP-2

- No access to FNP strat in combat, (though the times where I use this a few and far between. Transhuman phisiology looks great for the Cataphractiis though since they will naturally attract low volume high power weapons)

- Movement speed of 4" (We want to deep strike these guys any ways, and our CT makes this pretty reasonable.)

Sword bros are black templar shield drones for your characters. If you are running character heavy they are a must, but otherwise they are not super critical.

I always take at least a unit of them with stormbolter/chainsword. They come out of a pod, shoot something, then charge something else, generally make their points back then and there, the rest of the pod has a 5 man devestator unit in it.

I mean the one cp for the detachment is mostly for getting the wl trait, which is pretty good. The strats also help your marshal with tot finishing off most troop selections in one turn of combat/leaving them for morale to finish them.

Accounting for that the Option to use the strats on chapter Veterans is a nice plus to the wl trait.

If you dont use it, yeah go with the terminators.

I have used power fist storm shield vets to good effect when paired with helbrecht, but I am looking forward to try out the combo we mentioned a page back as well. THSS Terminators with Grimaldus, Litany for another swing on 6+, paired with Fury of the First. 

Lightning claws using this combo could also make for a fairly nasty bucket of dice to throw at enemies. 

What anti tank options are you guys considering for being able to take out enemy Repulsor Executioners? 

Edited by SydonianDragoon404

Smash Captain

Seems to be an issue with trying to edit my post haha.

What I was going to say is smash Captains, but I totally forgot about repulsor fields. No way we get close. Quad lascannon Mortis dread seem like a cheap answer (points wise). Contemptors have BS 2+ afaik.

Edited by Crusader7

Smash Captain

Seems to be an issue with trying to edit my post haha.

What I was going to say is smash Captains, but I totally forgot about repulsor fields. No way we get close. Quad lascannon Mortis dread seem like a cheap answer (points wise). Contemptors have BS 2+ afaik.

I am unsure as of yet, wether I want to Stick with boxnaughts, which I love, or paint up two 4-las contemptos, which also look dope as all hell and would pair nicely with my leviathan

I have used power fist storm shield vets to good effect when paired with helbrecht, but I am looking forward to try out the combo we mentioned a page back as well. THSS Terminators with Grimaldus, Litany for another swing on 6+, paired with Fury of the First.

Lightning claws using this combo could also make for a fairly nasty bucket of dice to throw at enemies.

What anti tank options are you guys considering for being able to take out enemy Repulsor Executioners?

In case of repulsor, or mechanized headache, I'm trying vanguard vets with TH/SS. A big unit, maybe 8-10, who was moving around previous turn, so they can stick close to the tanks, maybe some Captain to re-rolls or a chapter master. Then charge, use hammer of wrath stratagem and finish him with the brothers Edited by MindEraser

has anyone used a triple repulsor build?

i keep thinking it looks real ugly for me not to include organic vehicles in a list built around supposed elite forces. so i was wondering about 3 repulsors "transporting" , lore-wise, my normal infantry -even though on the tabletop ranged troops will often not need transporting.

it has a transport capacity of 10, and i could imagine a build with 5 x fragstorm launchers (replacing various stuff such as auto launchers/storm bolters), 2 x krakstorm launchers, onslaught gatling cannon, heavy onslaught gatling cannon and twin lascannon. 329 points, thats a lot i know, but it would have many selling points:

-tremendous anti-infantry firepower. between 18 str 5 shots and 5d6 str 4 shots, this thing can wipe out even large squads.

-solid antitank if needed. the twin lascannon is ofcourse ok, and the two gatling cannons can also easily hurt vehicles. the sheer volume of fire also means that catechism of fire litany would make it insane.

-BT-"compatible". it has a multitude of grenade launchers as assault weapons, meaning it functions real well on assault doctrine. it can also transport gravis models such as aggressors/gravis captains into the fray, whereas, for example, the repulsor executioner has less assault weapon options/cannot carry a 3-man agressor unit plus gravis captain.

thoughts?

Edited by MarshalMittermeier

Things that have worked for me (no surprises in this list but might help confirm things):

Captain with jump pack, SS, Teeth of Terra and The Imperium’s Sword. I think we are all using this guy in some form or another? Can be a nightmare for opponents.

Intercessors and bolt rifles. Nice mid-field shooting and then reasonable combat out put. I run at least 4 squads of five.

Bolter Aggressors. Often MVP for me, although have become priority targets for my opponents and die easy.

Hellblasters in an Impulsor. My opponents are kindly allowing me to proxy this model. People often forget the threat range of this combination. 14” vehicle move, disembark, then 6” foot slog. Quite easy to slingshot these guys into rapid fire range.

I played vanilla marines the other day (no Chapter Tactics but did use doctrines). It actually went ok!

• 2 weeks later...

if its true - Repulsors could be very good with 4++

Is there a rumour/ leak that Repulsor will get 4++?

There's a rumored relic that is a 3" 4++ aura for one turn, kind of crap when you consider the Ironstone BUT I will take it and a 4++ can be really good if you pop it right when you position offensively for a charge or to take the brunt in your assaults.

if its true - Repulsors could be very good with 4++

Is there a rumour/ leak that Repulsor will get 4++?

There's a rumored relic that is a 3" 4++ aura for one turn, kind of crap when you consider the Ironstone BUT I will take it and a 4++ can be really good if you pop it right when you position offensively for a charge or to take the brunt in your assaults.

Got it, thanks for explaining. Yeah, the new BT rumours are very exciting. Looking forward to new rules and (perhaps) models!

I think LRC could be a Thing with this 4++

Wo we always can take them into Position in first round.

b2t:

played now 3 games.

one defeat against a successor chapter(Master artisans and stealth as Ultramarine successor). The dice were really hard against me.

one draw against Thousand Sons... the 5+++ against their psychic powers were awesome but not gamebreaking.

one success against Death Guard

Edited by Medjugorje

Now that the Codex has useful strats I've been wondering for a while now, is double battalion a thing we should be aiming for or is there enough CP in single battalion plus some small detachment? I have yet to play with the codex but this has been making my brain itch every time I make a list.

I do double batallion + vanguard detachment.

I want to run crusaders anyhow, marine elites are good and 5 characters aren't a chore

I think something like

6 troops - 2 choppy crusaders in rhinos with hqs, 2 shooty msu crusaders with laser who hang back, 2 intercessors for midfield agression

2 bike squads, 1 inceptor squad

1-2 company Champs in a pod + cenobytes

Leviathan + 2 laser contemptors

Hqs would propably be a jumping chappy for the charge aura on the pod folks, jumping marhal law, a choppy lt for the rhinos, a shooty lt for the Dreads, EC for more punch on those crusaders in rhinos.

Could work quite nicely as a brigade for me. I'd have to crunch the numbers on wether thats doable in 2k tho.

Cp I feel are quite important.

I want my marshal law. Thats 1 cp for the detachment. I want to play his 1+ attack and reroll to wound strat and maybe honour the chapter.

I have to decide wether to use Imperiums sword and a Relic weapon on one of the characters: either give one lt the burning blade or the Relic crocius to the chappy. That is 3 cp before the game has started. I might actually want a chapter Master because one of those vet squads will be equipped with fists, so only hitting on 4s. Thats 5 cp gone.