Rules preview for Iron Father Feirros

Dude. Just let the Iron Hands players be happy.

Emperor knows they deserve it.

Is this directed at Me? If so, I said several times that they deserve it and I'm happy for them. These rules are Awesome! I just hope when it's time to team up I get the iron hands player on my side! It's been awhile since that could be said! If it wasn't directed at me then sorry for misunderstanding. Lol.

LRs are already viable. Our CTs alone do that, and the RR1s from Calculated Fury helps all three variants since adult cannons, lascannons, heavy bolters, HKMs, and multimeltas all benefit. His Invuln helps against other Codex Marines bringing Las and plasma up to AP-4 but its wasted against most AT guns.

Do you think there is a case to be made for one over a repulser executioner? I'm thinking the executioner is a better choice, even with it's increased price. Best options, while expensive might be two executioners and a Levi dread. That would be a tough nut to crack around the forge father and another buffing unit.

Only if you've got Classic Marines to put in there. I'm a never-Primaris player, so I've got plenty of Hammernators and other stuff to hide away in my Redeemer. If your infantry is mostly Primaris, you're better off with something they can actually ride in.

Now that I've had time to think about the new fluff I'm a little less thrilled than I was earlier (which isn't saying much) - there seems to be an increasing drive to push us into standard codex-compliant structure. I'll admit that the last non-Heresy era fluff I've read was the Raukaan supplement from 4 years ago so I'm a bit out of the loop - if this post is old news and comes across as "old iron father shouts at cloud", I can only apologise. 

Question for anyone with the old Raukaan supplement to hand. Wasn't Feirros originally listed as just Clan Raukaan's MoTF, rather than the entire chapter MoTF? 

I know it's a small and mind-numbingly trivial distinction, but it seems to me that with one chap essentially overseeing the entire chapter's recruitment, we've lost another bit of (again, trivial) fluff - where the clans were all insular and borderline antagonistic, all responsible for their own recruitment, equipment, etc. I mean - does this guy hop around Medusa from one Clan crawler-base to the next, jumping through the doors lopping off left-hands where he sees them? Would it really have been so bad for Feirros to have only overseen Clan Raukaan's Rite of Severance, rather than everyones?

From the first time we saw it in the fluff I've been unhappy with GW's "drugs bionics are bad, kids" line, but I'm not remotely surprised we now have a MoTF pushing the line :rolleyes:

Pure cynical-driven speculation: if they just don't want to have to design models with overt bionics - why not just say that Feirros (other iron fathers are available) had developed some new form of augmetics which can conveniently look almost exactly like regular power armour? 

Don't get me wrong - if you'd told me back in 3rd edition that one day we would actually get a proper named character miniature from GW I would never have believed you. I am very happy that we're getting Feirros. I just can't help but feel a little bitter-sweet with the way the lore is being handled. 

Yeah, the lore has been pushed around quite a bit since I started IH in 5th. And frankly I don't know exactly where it's now, considering it was pushed around with every further release.

Back in the day, the best way to represent IH was the SW codex - dreadnought HQ, terminators leading PA squads and all the other unique bits of organization deviating from the standard codex. Clan Raukaan's assets were fully listed in Wrath of Iron, being an autonomous clan-company with the cog-and-skull logo. And Iron Fathers were just their tech-y version of chaplains, no other strings attached.

Then the rules releases started to stack up a year later...Clan Raukaan's logo was changed (to the one of a different clan, since there were transfers with that logo), then the super rare relic stuff was suddenly super common, then many bits of unique fluff were ignored or overwritten. And then the C:SM changed them to 95% codex compliant. I guess I have to catch up to the new trilogy (once I'm done with the heresy novels), otherwise it's quite a mess...

For a guy who's 'resisted' the level of augmentation other members of his chapter embrace he still only has a quarter of his face left.

Iron Hands have the Iron Council as a command section, there's no reason that a member of that council wouldn't be Master of the Forge for the chapter rather than a Clan Company.

My Iron Hands sometimes show their bionics and some Marines wear their armor above ;)

Why should they not cover their bionics with armor? Thats not logical for logical Iron Hands. If the bionic gets damaged it will get useless, so...makes no sense to me :/

Buuuuut as an Oldmarines-fan this new buddy is one of the few Primaris i would autotake

For a guy who's 'resisted' the level of augmentation other members of his chapter embrace he still only has a quarter of his face left.

I think we're looking at that wrong.

Maybe he just doesn't hold with the whole "replace perfectly healthy parts with bionics" that many Iron Hands engage in.

But that doesn't mean he won't use bionics to replace parts damaged in battle.

Because in Master of Mankind, it's revealed that bionics can't properly interface with power armor and just armor-plating your bionics restricts movement and function.

MoM doesn't take place in the "modern" Cawl age, however, and it is very easy to hand wave technological upgrades to make Primaris-level armor easily integrate with bionics/cybernetics.

Unless you're going with fancy bionics (turning into guns/blades, 360 degree arcs of movement, etc) armor plating, especially space marine armor, could very easily be placed to not impede movement. For grunts especially who don't have the fancy stuff, adding armor to exposed cabling makes logical sense, no?

Because in Master of Mankind, it's revealed that bionics can't properly interface with power armor and just armor-plating your bionics restricts movement and function.

MoM doesn't take place in the "modern" Cawl age, however, and it is very easy to hand wave technological upgrades to make Primaris-level armor easily integrate with bionics/cybernetics.

Unless you're going with fancy bionics (turning into guns/blades, 360 degree arcs of movement, etc) armor plating, especially space marine armor, could very easily be placed to not impede movement. For grunts especially who don't have the fancy stuff, adding armor to exposed cabling makes logical sense, no?

Cawl's too busy stealing anti-grav plates from the Custodes to bother with something as mundane as armoring cybernetic limbs. Edited by Iron Father Ferrum

I'll just straight up say it: as of now Iron hands seem straight up broken. lol. They are so much better then everyone else it's kinda comical. Please don't take offense guys, I'm not trying to be salty. What I don't understand is why did G-Mans aura get nerfed if they were going to hand out this kind of stuff? Honestly, Iron Hands would still be heads and shoulders above Ultras even if G-Man had his old aura. Congrats guys, I'm happy for you! It's a good time to be an Iron Hand, and honestly Iron Hands deserve to be on top for once. Just be prepared for incredible amounts of salt from people, as an Ultra player who used G-Man I know what it's like to have people salty over your rules. lol.

full reroll wound is still more broken than anything new from ironhands

It used to be, but now with the increase in weapon power, AP, and the reduction of the effectiveness of modifiers the new Iron Hands are stronger than Ultras ever were with Guilliman in the old Codex, easily.

also Ultras have a gazillion characters , cronos anyone? cassius double letany?

please.

Which is a bit of lazy writing to be entirely honest. "Everything has gone down the drain, no one knows how or why it works, everything is antiquated and falls apart, we're doomed...well, until that guy over there came along. Now we can do absolutely everything again.". Kind of like Movie Scientists - yeah sure, that guy surely got his PhD at the age of 13, and can learn any field in a matter of hours to save the world. Asteroid impact? Give me 5 minutes, I'll fix that. Black hole? Okay, make it 10 minutes.

For bionics, MoM also introduced the psychological aspect they display for their foes - that guy was maimed and mutilated, and still got back up to fight on. Half his face blown off? Whatever. Limbs missing? Just tacked on new ones, they'll work. Are you sure you want to face such a foe?

As for a MotF not replacing everything with bionics, I guess it's rather down to two reasons:

1. It's part of the internal conflict - compulsively replacing everything and shutting down any illogical thinking vs. remaining human to a degree. Having a faceless emotionless "character" defeats the purpose of a unique, named character - we can use the generic ones for that.

2. GW needs a justification for each character to turn primaris, no matter how paper-thin. There's no way to improve the weak fleshy bits when those were dumped some centuries ago.

Considering that guy still only has few visible non-bionic parts left, it doesn't matter all too much in the end.

[...] since adult cannons, lascannons, heavy bolters, HKMs [...]

Autocorrect for the win - now we have adult cannons, not just the small ones. :biggrin.:

Edited by MajorNese