How do you use Inceptors?

MeltaRange

If I’m up against three Knights I’m going all in with a Inceptors.

Five Inceptors I typically roll 6 shots, 5 shots, 4 shots, 4 shots, 3 shots for 22 shots total. Typically 9 hit rerolling 1s... 6 get through for 12 damage.

Should have stated I pick on wounded Knights first.

Bolt Inceptors shred infantry mobs, also work great at sniping back field support characters.

Plasma Inceptors are suicide surgical instruments. They are going to get shot of the board when they come in, the new wounds let them hang a little longer.

Love em!

I've had good luck with my bolter inceptors, I run BT so typically I'm dropping them in to tear up some light infantry then charging into whatever is left, I had one game where I dropped them in and obliterated a full squad of DA and half a guardian squad camping an objective then proceeding to charge into the remaining guardians and moping them up

I think the idea is that the plasma and bolters die the same but because the plasma can deal more direct damage they are a juicier target, I have both and I have not played a single game where my bolter inceptors didnt survive to the end (some may have died but the squad was never wiped) whereas the plasma ones are at about a 50/50 for surviving to the end

The Bolter ones die just as quick. I have more than enough units to clear chaff. Plasma is basically highly mobile heavy support. It is urban myth to say they are one and done. I don’t even always reserve mine either.

I wish I played a meta that doesn't see plasma Inceptors as a primary threat.

Against knowledgeable players, if they don't blow themselves up on their own, they'll die immediately after dropping - 100% guaranteed. If they're not protected in deep strike, then expect ignore los fire to target them or extra screening to block them. If you have committed an HQ to babysit, he'll die in the return fire too.

That's a lot of points, utility, and firepower tied up into a fire and forget suicide platform.

Needless to say I do not rate these guys very highly. I like using units that help make target priority a nightmare for my opponent. Despite the predictability having some value, targeting this unit is a no-brainer and I dislike no-brainers.

The only time I’ve lost my Plasma Inceptors, 5-man squad, the turn they dropped is when I made a conscious decision to let them die. That was before they gained and extra wound. I’ve dropped them against Dark Eldar Flyers, Land Raiders, and in one glorious incident three Death Guard characters and 2x 5-man squads.

5 Plasma-ceptors with Shrike

2 - 5 man Boltstorm Aggressors with Phobos Librarian (maybe Captain)

or

4 man Centurion Assault squad with Primaris Chaplain

Pick your target priority please Lemondish?

Plasma inceptors, no way EITHER of those other groups are in range to do damage turn 2 like the inceptors are

or

Plasma inceptors, no way EITHER of those other groups are in range to do damage turn 2 like the inceptors are

By turn 2 with raven guard? Literally all of them if you want to burn CP on strike from the shadows

@Lemondish

Do you even Plasma bruh? Lol

I’m thinking prolly not. With three wounds apiece, in cover and the sweet sweet transhuman physiology strat they are hard to kill... if my opponent has to dedicate more then one unit I’ve won figuratively speaking. That a unit is good doesn’t make it bad. Often I drop them behind my castle for the buffs, then it’s really hard to decide what to shoot since there’s lots of scary threats.

You know what that's fair, I guess then it depends what's where and your own army comp. Heavy armor? Well the inceptor are the biggest threat because the assault centurians are either in combat already or failed there charge and you can back your armor away from them. Hordes? Clearly the aggressors because the inceptors just wont shred GEQ at an efficient rate like aggressors!

Raven guard plasma inceptors look phenomenal against knights. That +1 to hit and wound changes things completely.

But they’re basically worthless against IH and Eldar planes, so irrelevant in the current meta, sadly.

123 point bolter squads look good though. I think they’re now at a price point where they’re competitive against aggressors, thanks to their far greater flexibility. They’re cheap enough to find a space in some brigades and extremely shooty.

If you use the Hammer of Wrath on Inceptors they cause 2 mortal wounds on 6s (crushing charge+HoW) and one on 5s, so 3 MWs on 5+, right? Or am I reading this whole interaction wrong?

If you roll a 6, both abilities create a MW, so 2. If you roll a 5, only HoW creates 1 MW.

These rules do not interact in any way, besides doing essentially the same but on different dice results.

I built my multipart ones with the Heavy Bolter Smgs (cut the shields off). Kinda wish I hadn't, I got a lot of s4-5 (unintentional Intecessor Spam that happened gradually and then suddenly) in my army and drop pressure from mini plasma cannons could be useful.

I built my Aggressors with the flame storms, don't care if they are super :cuss, I got firebats yo.

I’ve actually used some multipart assault bolters on the starter set guys after building some plasma dudes. Was annoying how they looked different before. I’m thinking of getting more monopose guys and giving them some spare plasma arms that I’ve got.

It takes a bit of sawing to do, because you don’t have enough shoulders without using the monopose ones, but it’s not too difficult.

@Lemondish

Do you even Plasma bruh? Lol

I’m thinking prolly not. With three wounds apiece, in cover and the sweet sweet transhuman physiology strat they are hard to kill... if my opponent has to dedicate more then one unit I’ve won figuratively speaking. That a unit is good doesn’t make it bad. Often I drop them behind my castle for the buffs, then it’s really hard to decide what to shoot since there’s lots of scary threats.

The attitude is a turn off, might want to adjust your tone in the future. We were having a fine discussion before it stated to get insulting. Look, I'm sorry if I upset you because I personally find Plasma Inceptors an expensive trap. You don't have to agree. It's even better if you don't because it means I can potentially learn from your experience. I don't learn anything when you're being insulting.

With that out of the way, I'd like to ask you to clarify. Are you saying that in order to avoid losing this expensive unit that requires additional character support you're going to sink even more resources into them by using Stratagems? Do you promise?

Because if I can force you to bleed CP, bait out transhuman physiology, and watch you telegraph putting a character, a ~280 to ~350 point unit into range of a heavy target, then I welcome it. 

That's one way to do it. 

Edited by Lemondish

or

Plasma Inceptors every chance I get. They'll be the only thing able to touch my armour. Plus, I get to deny you Shrike since he'll be immediately exposed. 

I'll take that trade any day. 

In planet bowling ball I might agree due to the cost but if I’m deep striking in view of a unit that can knock out 3 T5 x 5 wounds then I deserve what I get. I divide my army into Strike Forces though and the Shrike / Inceptors would normally have a Reiver squad with them. And even setting them aside because ... points. Then between the damage and Shrikes charge and terrain killing them is only “easy” if you screw up the drop.

That said I’m looking hard at Assault Bolters before build my 5 man unit. The cost savings means affording a Phobos Captain instead of Phobos Lt.

Primaris have to have an ability to effect an opponents backfield and not everyone gets to deep strike Centurions or Aggressors. Myself, I’m not a fan of vehicles so Inceptors and Reivers need to be part of that game plan imo

Edited by Dracos