How do you use Inceptors?

MeltaRange

My thinking with inceptors is that they’re really two different units. They perform entirely different functions and operate differently. So for me it’s not a question of whether to have plasma inceptors or bolter inceptors. It’s two questions: “do I want bolter inceptors?” and “do I want plasma inceptors?”

Plasma inceptors are kind of the ultimate glass cannon in the book. They can drop in and bring death to many targets. But they are eye-watering my expensive and will attract vast amounts of hate from ant opponent - severely limiting their lifespan. They’re going to want character support, stratagems etc to perform most effectively.

Bolter inceptors are instead a horde killer and a back line harassment unit. They’re for removing enemy troops from objectives and are reasonably tough for their cost, especially in cover. They don’t particularly need any help to do their job. You might even deploy them on the board against an army like plaguebearers, especially if you were going second. Fundamentally, bolter inceptors are a mission-winning unit. They can prevent the enemy from holding objectives and sometimes take them. But they generally can’t kill the most significant threats.

So then you look at whether these two units are actually the solution you need for the problem you’re looking at: killing hard targets and taking out troops. Depending on lots of other factors, like your chapter, one or other unit might look like the best answer.

For me as a Crimson Fist player bolter inceptors look pretty good - they get exploding sixes and will pretty often get +1 to hit for shooting at big units. Plasma inceptors don’t look that good because they don’t have the damage bonus that my heavy weapons do. And even bolter guys have to compete for their spot with things like TFCs and planes, which can also shoot up troops but also get the damage bonus against vehicles.

I just don’t see a real need for Bolter Inceptors now that Bolters have the juice again... I would rather have Aggressors.

I'd say it's the other way around - Aggressors only crank out S4 AP-1 (in tac doctrine) on a (near) stationary platform with limited range. That's something my troops department can already do, just with more range and less shots per model.

Bolter inceptors have 28" reach, have a damn lot of dakka one can focus on one target, and can't be locked in combat. The bolters you named don't have anything near that firepower, and you can rarely bring everything to bear on a single target that needs to go. Also, S5 AP-2 is far more reliable against MEQ than S4 AP-1.

So yeah...unless you play smurfs, aggressors will just stand there and shoot nearby stuff, but are better in CC. If you need mobility to get around LoS, get in range or take objectives, bolter Inceptors are superior. Comparing these two doesn't really work without considering what role they should take.

Aggressors are only (near) stationary if you choose them to be. They can also move 5+1d6 inches per turn while shooting and that's arguably better because you also pay a lot for their (now 4 on the charge) powerfist attacks which you definitely don't get elsewhere in the Primaris range.

If aggressors move, they lose half their firepower. In that case, one can just take Inceptors and call it a day, unless you're playing smurfs of course.

And even in best cases of the advance roll, they come close to the movement of Inceptors that don't even advance. And don't have fly, so any terrain might force them to make a detour or make it harder to get up into ruins.

So yeah - depends on what you want them to do. If you want mobility and flexibility, then bolter inceptors are better. If you are fine with them not being the fastest but want them to end up in/near CC, you can of course go with aggressors. In my case, I can do stuff with inceptors and Shrike that I simply can't do with aggressors.

I think Aggressors and Inceptors are a pretty good comparison in a way. Their firepower is sort of comparable - more shots for the Aggressor vs better chance of wounding for Inceptors. The cost per model is similar, though the Inceptors are a bit more expensive.

Aggressors will do way more damage if there's a horde coming at you. Fro things like Auspex scan they'll do murderous damage. And they can fight pretty well.

On the other hand Inceptors can drop in anywhere and their range is long enough that they are pretty hard to screen out. They can often put themselves in hard-to-reach places where they're relatively safe. 

Aggressors need to deploy on the ground and take on the enemy directly - and they're very useful in that role. Inceptors are less good at that but much better at getting rid of enemy back line units. That can be game-winning if you're able to shoot the enemy off their home objective and maybe even capture it. 

I find that Aggressors are quite dependent on what my opponent is doing. If they’re orks or PBs rushing at me then they’ll do fantastic things, including preventing anything deep striking within 12” – so awesome against GSC, bloodletter bombs or Da Jump.

But (ironically given their name) they’re really a defensive unit. They keep enemy troops out of their bit of the board. I find them far less useful if the enemy is far away and never intended to cross the centre. If you meet a gunline the Aggressors will have no waves of troops to gun down and will have a pretty hard time crossing the board themselves. Ultimately their range lets them down in this scenario so you’re forced to advance, and I don’t like to be forced to do things.

Inceptors can do something useful in pretty much any situation. You can use them to attack or to defend – or to attack the enemy backfield while the rest of your guys are defending your own lines. It gives you a whole new threat that your opponent will often have to change their plans to deal with, and that gives you the advantage.

There are plenty of other tools to threaten enemy backfield troops. TFCs and planes, for example. The advantage Inceptors have is having boots on (or near) the ground in the enemy deployment zone. All sorts of scenarios give you bonus points for stealing back field objectives and there are also loads of secondary missions in ITC that these guys can help you score. If some of the bad guys rushing your lines have to turn around to deal with a threat in their home base, things are generally going to go well for you.

If aggressors move, they lose half their firepower. In that case, one can just take Inceptors and call it a day, unless you're playing smurfs of course.

And even in best cases of the advance roll, they come close to the movement of Inceptors that don't even advance. And don't have fly, so any terrain might force them to make a detour or make it harder to get up into ruins.

So yeah - depends on what you want them to do. If you want mobility and flexibility, then bolter inceptors are better. If you are fine with them not being the fastest but want them to end up in/near CC, you can of course go with aggressors. In my case, I can do stuff with inceptors and Shrike that I simply can't do with aggressors.

Aggressors definitely have a place in an Ultramarines' list as in the Tactical Doctrine with the Scions of Guilliman a model is counted as not having moved, meaning you will be able to double tap their guns even after moving. You won't get it if you advanced or fall back, but still a much more mobile firing platform.

Yeah...I said that multiple times, they are much more flexible and viable for smurfs. Just like phobos captains for RG, or stalkerbolter intercessors for IH, which might not be the ideal choice for other chapters.

Except for that, what Mandragola said. Sums up why I prefer Inceptors.

I have had great mileage out of my Bolter Inceptors for Blood Angels and I am building 2 new squads magnetised so I can switch the loadouts.

The boost to 3 wounds apiece is very nice and I am tempted to try an Outrider Detachment with all 3 squads, a Jump Captain for rerolls and a Sanguinary Ancient with the Standard of Sacrifice for a 5++. I could even go all in with a Sanguinary Novitiate to keep them alive longer. My opponent would have to devote quite a lot of firepower to wipe them out which will take the pressure off almost everything else.