Duz's Imperial Navy

duz_

Well got my butt beat at a local GT this weekend

Opponents were good value though, met some new people and had some fun games

I also won a set of Warcry, which as fun as it looks I'm likely never to play. So instead of going through the effort to sell it I managed to exachange it at the store for a box of Marauders and Thunderbolts :D

Looked for Rynns World but they didn't have a copy in stock.

But yay reinforcements :D :D :D

• 3 months later...

I'm thinking of a two tone on the marauder and second flight of thunderbolts

Baby blue bottom, forest green top

Thoughts?

If you're going for a "historical" type of colour scheme, undersides tended to be a very pale blue or grey (RLM 76 "Light Blue", RLM 84 "Grey", BS 637 "Medium Sea Grey", FS 35550 "Sky Blue", BS 210 "Sky Type S"), and topsides tended to be whatever the ground colour was (for obvious reasons). 

Having said that, there were some exceptions, for example high-altitude recon (BS 636 "P.R.U. Blue") or low-altitude recon (FS 31668 "P.R.U. Pink") ...

Dunno if that helps?

++EDIT: If you're looking for inspiration, have a look at the Vallejo Air War paint set catalogue ... :)

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Primed my grey models with grey last night :biggrin.::laugh.:

I'm thinking of a two tone on the marauder and second flight of thunderbolts

Baby blue bottom, forest green top

Thoughts?

when you said Baby blue bottom (a funny thing in itself) and green on top ...i thought of the Me 262 ...

med_gallery_9146_3140_88934.jpg

Mithril

Thanks for the feedback

Mithril that's around the green I was considering maybe slightly darker

Firedrake I usually steal the scheme colours off those Vallejo boxes and get the individual paints I need :lol:

Thanks Beaky I like that scheme but give the transport capacity the Destroyers have I thought it a good opportunity to mix things up a bit. Plus the colour schemes that come on the individual boxes looked great too

Hopefully get to the hobby store today but don't know when I'll get to paint again missus keeps hogging the office /hobby room <_<

Colours are close to what I was after (was hoping the green was darker and blue was lighter) but I think it works :biggrin.:

What about a reverse zenithal prime (black on the top, white on the bottom) to influence the colours in the right direction? Probably less work/more consistent than pushing the base-coat colours by mixing :)

Based on the Me262 pic, you might find adding some bars of Olive-drab, or another, browner green might help 'darken' the top. For the bottom, RLM 76 is the bluish-grey underside on the historical model, but there's constant debate on which brand is closest to the real thing. Personally, I think it looks good as is.

• 1 month later...

It would but these things take so damn long to paint already! :lol:

Speaking of which I had been painting the Severina Raine BL model but gave up because of all the detail.

Stupid me decided painting AI models would be the better idea... :ermm:

After nearly 1.5hrs of recess washing 1 Marauder yesterday I realised why I only have 1 fully painted AI model :sweat:

On a positive note even adding the metallic for the engines helps these models pop.

gallery_87434_15889_16162.jpg

Top left mostly washed Marauder

Destroyers metallics applied only

Bottom right only finished model :woot:

Edited by duz_

• 2 months later...

Well my new box of tiny planes to not paint arrived shortly after release :)

I've assembled them and managed to get them primed this evening

Left the airbrush out so I can hopefully get the colours down later this week

I think I'll do the Lightening yellow, Valks green and the filthy xeno scum white and red like their codex scheme

gallery_87434_11578_87094.jpg

Well my stretch goal for hobby tonight was to get base layers down on tiny planes but that didn't happen

However earlier in the day I decided to finally do something with some of my based Thunderbolts.

gallery_87434_15889_91130.jpg

The one on the left is the same base colour as the shiney one. I washed it with nulin oil and then hit it with a moderate dry brush of Necron compound. Not enough the streaks are super visible but enough to lighten up the wash.

I'm not sure if I should keep going with that or just stick with a recess wash on the left one.

I used the vallejo Metallic line of Aluminium with my goal of going for something similar to this :

071024-F-1234S-008.JPG

Thoughts?

The one on the left is the same base colour as the shiney one. I washed it with nulin oil and then hit it with a moderate dry brush of Necron compound. Not enough the streaks are super visible but enough to lighten up the wash.  I'm not sure if I should keep going with that or just stick with a recess wash on the left one.

I'd say go with more of a recess wash, although apparently if you paint the model with Lahmian Medium, before washing it, it'll help the Shade run into the recesses, and also makes it easier to mop excess off: https://youtu.be/OvNWXudCG0U?t=106

I've also found the Vallejo Model Wash (35ml bottles) are pretty good for doing very even filters.

I think these look pretty good. I've been doing some research into metallic paint effects myself lately so I'll share it, in case it's useful.

A shiny metallic finish like that is always really hard to do. The problem is that if you were to shrink that mustang down and stick it on your table, it would look very different to how the full size one looks parked there on the runway, and different again to how it would look in flight, or on a cloudy day. Instead of reflecting the sky, the sun and the ground it would reflect the ceiling, the table and the light fittings. And in any case, you can't get such a shiny effect with any paint on the market.

So the real mustang looks blue where it reflects the sky and brown/grey where it reflects the ground. You can see the dark line of trees behind the photographer and the yellow line on the runway reflected on it. A miniature will never look like that unless you put it on an airfield, or up in the sky where these dogfights are supposed to be happening.

I think this leaves you with two possible options. One is to go nuts doing NMM on your planes and the other is to paint them in matt camo, which will look fine. Alternatively you could look for some blue-ish metalic paint, or just mix some blue into your aluminium. And maybe use a blue wash instead of nuln oil.

This probably isn't especially helpful, sorry.