New Mephiston/Psychic awakening p3

Neuralshock

What's the bet he's gonna be a Primarch-level LoW? 

Great question.

From an internal-balance perspective, I think having Dante, the Sanguinor, and Mephiston each elevated to LoW slots would be quite interesting, with the three of them (pushing that Triumvirate of Blood thing!)  together being the BA equivalent to a returned Primarch. That would also push lists to have to choose how they want to buff their army, with Sanguinor’s inspiring presence, Mephy’s raw psychic might, or Dante’s strategic cunning and leadership. It would do justice to their fluff as well (more on that at the bottom). 

However, you couldn’t do that without having tendril effects on the meta and not just rules wise; the Iron Hands have just now finally received their first ever(!) named character and we already have it good for named dudes compared to other chapters. It would be...unsporting...to a certain degree for us to get that while White Scars, Imperial Fists, Raven Guard, Salamanders, etc... all still only have a single named figure or two at most. And that’s just for power armored factions. It’s the move we deserve, but not the move we need right now, to paraphrase a certain Christopher Nolan film. 

Now, should he Lion, Khan, Russ, Vulkan, Corax all start showing up, then :cuss ‘em and give us the Triumvirate of BloodTM

Justice to the fluff without being Mary Sues:

What I think is unique to the BA is that we have two characters that have long been established as being The Best at things: Mephiston as perhaps the most powerful (super-)human Psyker since Ahriman and Dante as the greatest and most peer-respected commander of the age, if not since the HH. These are facts long established in the fluff. They are The Best not because a single writer says so , but because there is historical precedence to their in-universe reputations as being so. So how do you do them justice on the tabletop where things need to be balanced, and how do you not have Wardian-Ultramarines where every single character in every single role is “the bestest” just b/c they’re said to be? In short, I think the Lord Of War (LoW) option is a great way to go. Boost their stats and abilities—and of course points cost—way up and make it a tough decision for a player to have to take away a 1/4 of their army just to afford one dude. In my eyes, that is exactly his named characters in general should be: noticeably better to the point that they are not always the obvious competitive choice (if that makes sense). And then when you start talking about established legends like Mephiston and Dante...

That being said I wouldn’t get hopes up. Abbadon in my eyes should be essentially just below or maybe even equal to Guilliman, and he isn’t quite there.

I mean, given the spoilers about Darkness in the Blood, Mephiston’s legend is even greater and perhaps he is even more powerful than we thought, if that was possible....

...which knowing this 8th Ed GW studio means he will be +1A and +1Ld.

Looks good! I found an old vid of him before goign Primaris..

https://youtu.be/PZgq9qukQOU

The Swedish magician Joe labero.. Couldn´t be bothered with finding the older hair style, he had longer hair.. Come on, it is funny.. He has a striking resemblence and he is a magician too! ;)

The Swedish magician Joe labero.. Couldn´t be bothered with finding the older hair style, he had longer hair.. Come on, it is funny.. He has a striking resemblence and he is a magician too! ;)

I dont see it.

The Swedish magician Joe labero.. Couldn´t be bothered with finding the older hair style, he had longer hair.. Come on, it is funny.. He has a striking resemblence and he is a magician too! :wink:

I dont see it.

Cuz he is a vampire, duh.

How about some good ol' speculation on our thiccened lord of deaths stats.

What I'm expecting:

8"move, BS/WS 2+, S5, T5, W6, A5, ld 10, 2+sv

What I'm guessing:

MC plasma pistol, does not overheat on roll of 1

Vitarius: Sx2, -4, 3D

Pure speculation:

Knows 3 + smite, cast 3, +2 to cast and deny, 2+ to ignore perils.

Channeled rage: 3+d3 extra attacks on charge, HI, or getting charged

Mastery of death: 4+ fnp

Can reroll dice for a psychic test

4+ invuln

Edited by Neuralshock

OK, time for a big pinch of salt folks. The latest "French" rumour is that we will get full Doctrines as per Codex SMs. Exactly what our super-Doctrine ability is has not been revealed, but it will trigger in the Assault Doctrine. This is not exactly surprising but it means we will have to wait for T3 to get our full power or burn a CP to get there quicker.

Still, the fact that we are allegedly getting Doctrines at all makes me hopeful. Nothing is confirmed until we get to see PA3 in the flesh (or paper) but so far the French source has been pretty spot-on for PA so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

OK, time for a big pinch of salt folks. The latest "French" rumour is that we will get full Doctrines as per Codex SMs. Exactly what our super-Doctrine ability is has not been revealed, but it will trigger in the Assault Doctrine. This is not exactly surprising but it means we will have to wait for T3 to get our full power or burn a CP to get there quicker.

Still, the fact that we are allegedly getting Doctrines at all makes me hopeful. Nothing is confirmed until we get to see PA3 in the flesh (or paper) but so far the French source has been pretty spot-on for PA so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Hmmmm, mixed feelings on this. on the one hand, I'm glad were getting something, but on the other, I'm not too thrilled if its just the same combat doctrines as C:SM.

I've been looking the doctrines over and over and as others have said, they just don't feel like they'll mesh well with how the abilities and bonus's we already have steer us to play. Kinda like having a misfiring engine or a bubble off plumb.

It would be trash PA3 just proves Seth right, but maybe I'm just being pessimistic and salty.

Hmmmm, mixed feelings on this. on the one hand, I'm glad were getting something, but on the other, I'm not too thrilled if its just the same combat doctrines as C:SM.

I've been looking the doctrines over and over and as others have said, they just don't feel like they'll mesh well with how the abilities and bonus's we already have steer us to play. Kinda like having a misfiring engine or a bubble off plumb.

It would be trash PA3 just proves Seth right, but maybe I'm just being pessimistic and salty.

With respect, I disagree. Have you used the new doctrines? Even in base, lascannons at -4 and HB at -2 is a big shift or even our autocannon stuff at -2/-3. This is nothing but a boon for our rather basic gunline. With our super-doc coming in on t3, the emphasis in early turns is to gain better positioning and endure until a crushing t3 with -1 chainsword attacks and -4 power fists and T-hams.

in the absence of more info, we have 0 idea of what context these abilities might have

OK, time for a big pinch of salt folks. The latest "French" rumour is that we will get full Doctrines as per Codex SMs. Exactly what our super-Doctrine ability is has not been revealed, but it will trigger in the Assault Doctrine. This is not exactly surprising but it means we will have to wait for T3 to get our full power or burn a CP to get there quicker.Still, the fact that we are allegedly getting Doctrines at all makes me hopeful. Nothing is confirmed until we get to see PA3 in the flesh (or paper) but so far the French source has been pretty spot-on for PA so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I can hear the lament of an entire closet of C:SM players in the Warp already :D

Let’s see how that turns out, I’m still doubtful. And if our alleged special only ever activates in the assault doctrines, you might as well subtract the necessary CP at the start of the game. So late...

Fyi, city of light spoilers floating about

If you don't mind answering some vague details:

Is Mephy Primaris in it and does it take place more or less immediately following Revenant Crusade?

Just trying to sort this timeline out in my head a bit.