New Mephiston/Psychic awakening p3

Neuralshock

I do think that the Quake Bolts get the award for "sneakily most useful item" in the new book. Need to review the precise wording (do you just have to Hit your target or cause an unsaved wound?) especially around exactly who is eligible to take them, but there is massive potential with them.

I'm also surprised that people aren't talking about the Icon of Angels wargear that lets you re-roll charges. That's an almost auto-include for me.

Yeah just hitting is enough. Any character with a bolt weapon can take them (except for vehicles since they aren't allowed to take special issue wargear).

I'm not really talking about the Icon of Angels for the same reason I'm not talking about the new relic Jump Pack. We already got a better banner available and I don't see me running two Ancients. It's easy to overinvest in characters as Blood Angel as is already.

Are quakebolts available to any character or are they a successor relic? I'm not really sure what the deal is with the special issue wargear.

They are special issue wargear so they are available to any non-vehicle character.

I do think that the Quake Bolts get the award for "sneakily most useful item" in the new book. Need to review the precise wording (do you just have to Hit your target or cause an unsaved wound?) especially around exactly who is eligible to take them, but there is massive potential with them.

I'm also surprised that people aren't talking about the Icon of Angels wargear that lets you re-roll charges. That's an almost auto-include for me.

Yeah just hitting is enough. Any character with a bolt weapon can take them (except for vehicles since they aren't allowed to take special issue wargear).

I'm not really talking about the Icon of Angels for the same reason I'm not talking about the new relic Jump Pack. We already got a better banner available and I don't see me running two Ancients. It's easy to overinvest in characters as Blood Angel as is already.

Are quakebolts available to any character or are they a successor relic? I'm not really sure what the deal is with the special issue wargear.

They are special issue wargear so they are available to any non-vehicle character.

The Icon isn't a banner. It's just a relic you can give anyone sfPanzer. So stick a flag pole on a character or make a wing gold instead of black and call it a day.

The Icon isn't a banner. It's just a relic you can give anyone sfPanzer. So stick a flag pole on a character or make a wing gold instead of black and call it a day.

Ah in that case it's much more interesting again. I still don't think I'd take it before Angels Wing, Quake Bolts and the 5+++ banner though. ^^

Ah in that case it's much more interesting again. I still don't think I'd take it before Angels Wing, Quake Bolts and the 5+++ banner though. ^^

I don't disagree but there's a lot of merit to it. Banner just depends on if you're taking multiple wound models or not. If you're going to be like ole DBH here and rely on Van Vets instead of DC + Lemartes the Icon has a lot more value to it. Otherwise just spend the 20 meltabombs worth for Lemartes and call it a day.

Eventually we will move to a new tactical section. But to turn the conversation a bit.

Someone over on Facebook was talking about giving Quake Bolts to a phobos captain to snipe characters out so we get all the +1 to hits against said character. Seems like a great option to me!

If we're thinking of the same discussion, Chris Chance (?), I don't think he was talking about sniping characters. I think he chose the Phobos Captain primarily because that's the character most able to put the Quake Bolts where you need them with his long range and scout deploy.

That's right. I just don't normally post names in a forum like this; but he has a cool idea there.

Angel's Wing and SoS are still our go-to combo but if you can afford a third Relic, I think the Icon looks promising if you are running SG (obviously DC get Lemartes who has this baked-in).

I am undecided about Quake bolts. They can be used very handily to negate the -1 to-Hit on Captain Smash's hammer but you have to dedicate another character and a Relic to the role. I often run a buff Lt to babysit my Devs so I guess he could try them out but it seems like a combo that needs a lot of moving parts to line up in order to get value out of it.

I quite like the look of Artificer Armour for a Jump Sanguinary Priest as he will often be heading into dangerous territory but I would rather spend points than CPs on it.

Edited by Karhedron

I don't think the Quake Bolt needs any moving parts at all. It's pretty point&click. Shoot a unit you are going to charge, enjoy easier hitting. Fists and Hammers obviously benefit the most from it but it's already great enough with other weapons.

I don't think the Quake Bolt needs any moving parts at all. It's pretty point&click. Shoot a unit you are going to charge, enjoy easier hitting. Fists and Hammers obviously benefit the most from it but it's already great enough with other weapons.

Does quake bolts affect the entire unit. I haven't seen the proper wording yet and the impression I had got was that it only affected a single model so needed to be used on something that could snipe characters or get close enough to single them out. If that impression is mistaken and it can affect a whole unit then it is much better than I thought.

Does quake bolts affect the entire unit. I haven't seen the proper wording yet and the impression I had got was that it only affected a single model so needed to be used on something that could snipe characters or get close enough to single them out. If that impression is mistaken and it can affect a whole unit then it is much better than I thought.

It says target. You target a unit. So it is the unit.

Uhm just affecting a single model wouldn't work with the core rules as you target units, not individual models. :huh.:

Uhm just affecting a single model wouldn't work with the core rules as you target units, not individual models. :huh.:

That is why I assumed it could only be used if you were able to snipe a character (either by positioning or with someone like the Phobos Captain).

That is why I assumed it could only be used if you were able to snipe a character (either by positioning or with someone like the Phobos Captain).

That would be a very weird and limiting addition to the rule and luckily only existed in your brain. ^^

I have a buffing Libby JP, and might start using a Sang priest, I am thinking of changing the Bolt pistol to a boltgun on those two and they will be close enough during melee to also shoot with Quake Bolts. But as someone said, the JP and SoS is still my go to relics and I am looking at one of the Icon, the Libby dread or the Quake bolts.

I would put Quake Bolts on a unit with BS2+. I believe the wording (if anyone can confirm) says the model using them forgoes all shooting to make a single attack with the quake bolts. In which case you can’t use a Storm bolter to spray and pray and so you’ll want them to connect for sure. Anything worth bringing is worth utilizing in its best capacity possible.

I’m actually considering a Phobos captain for the quake bolts, even though I have 0 interest in him in any other way. But using him like a 30k Vigilator, as essentially a sniper character, has some merit: infiltrating re-roll aura that can hit almost anything on the map with 30” range as some appeal.

Do the Quack Bolts only affect melee? if not, then a phobos captain deployed with sniper eliminators might be interesting. But personally, dedicating such an essential slot as HQ to a role that doesnt mesh well with our strengths is a little too niche for my taste.

Melee only. 

The issue here is that we can get a max of 3 relics currently (and have to pay 1 more CP for it, until an FAQ - get to writing in, guys!!) - so Angels Wing, Banner + one other will see huge competition for the slot (assuming we want to burn 2CP for the third :/ )

Does special issue wargear count as a relic? We get 1 special issue wargear or relic then pay command points if we want any more special wargear or relics?

Yup.  But, we didnt get the SM Relic wording. We're still stuck with the 1/3 Strat