Getting things somewhere vehicles of choice.

Galron

I am currently planning Assault Centurions(If I can find some) and Assault terminators. Vulkan will go with centurions and a thunderhammer captain with the terminators.  But this is  relevant for anyone using heavy hitter units like these that needs to get them close. I would mention aggressors but they only have one option for transport and it is in the same points cost range as these others.

I personally am planning a Redeemer for one transport for one of the squads. Its a Land raider chassis with twin big flamers, it goes well with our doctrine.

Land raider standard. It would work as well and provide some ranged AT that is lacking from the rest of the army(at least mine)

Land Raider Crusader Another viable heavy chassis which will benefit greatly in the tactical doctrine that we will likely be spending most of our time.

Storm Raven- Very mobile. Can carry either of the squads no problem I think and has a ton of dakka in its base model + hurricane bolters.

Storm Eagle/Caestus- Both excruciatingly expensive pointwise(dollar too, but I already own both) but both add a lot of fire power, and the Caestus even has a big honking melta weapon to benefit from our doctrine, but it is also the most expensive option here short of a Spartan.

Spartan- prohibitively expensive, incredibly well armed. Not any more durable than a land raider at double the points.

Which do you guys plan on using and do you have any comments of modifications to add to the list. Maybe I forgot something.

Problem I find is that any of these options would double the point costs (if not higher) than the unit you intend to get across. Also, it paints an enormous target on the back of the transport in question, so to make sure any get across the board you would need two cent. squads with 2 transports at the very least. That leaves you with very little points for any support options for you'r list.

Just not sure how viable such a list would ever become. You think footslogging is out of the question?

In that Crusader you can drop 3x 5-man squads of Veterans/Sternguard plus Vulcan. Run two of those, adding a Captain in the second transport. Plus a Librarian with a jump pack casting Might of Heroes on one LandRaider and the Salamanders +1 toughness on the other. You now have 2x toughness 9 Landraider Crusaders gunning down the field. Maybe go 5-man Veterans, 5-man Sternguard, 5-man Vanguard. If everything gets up the board, great! If only one Landraider foes your not really out much. Don’t forget about the Stratagem Relentless Advance, that lets a vehicle count as double wounds to determine its profile, a single CP that limits being bracketed.

I think the best flame delivery package is 5 Aggressors in a Repulsor. Ignoring the transport, they have the most flame shots per point (even before spending 1CP to count as standing still for double shots) and they can pack a punch in close combat with weapons that get the +1 to wound. The Repulsor itself, while expensive, brings a lot of guns to the party, is harder to charge (comboing nicely with Fire Shield), and gets to fall back and shoot.

For Centurions, or really any oldmarines, a Crusader is the better Land Raider still. More transport capacity and cheaper make the difference. Flamestorms are nice, but the contents will do most of the work for either. A Crusader can also fit in 5 Centurions plus a support character, which is nice.

For Sternguard, the humble Rhino is seriously worth considering. You want one 10 man squad to get the most from stratagems so it transports about as well as a Land Raider, and a Librarian for support can help with survivability. It's also cheap, which lets you bring more other threats for target saturation and softening up the enemy.

Regardless, a Librarian with Fire Shield, Drakeskin, and the Tome of Velcona to cast on a 5+ are practically mandatory. You're putting a lot of eggs in that basket, and he can significantly bump up the survivability. Even footslogging he'll keep up pretty well. It'd take at least 3 turns for the transport to outpace him, likely less because you can advance and/or start next to the tank instead of behind it (with some meatshields).

You could try the Relic Land Raider Proteus.  Its got a 5++.  

For my first test game I am going to pressure my opponent with 3 Invictors while I foot slog some aggressors and a chaplain with infiltrators in front of them followed by a librarian in phobos dishing out the defensive spells.

Ill also be using an impulsor with Agatone and a vet squad of intercessors armed with TH and auto bolt rifles.  They can pop out turn 1 to back up the Invictors. 

Then I will bring vulkan and a dev squad and drop them down turn 1 if need be or turn 2.  

In the back will be some lascannon support tac squads and a stalker bolt rifle intercessor squad.

The idea is to apply max pressure turn 1 letting my invictors take the brunt of the fire while the rest of the pieces move into play.  

I will also try a Land Raider or Relic Land Raider Proteus with the 5+ invul.  I may even try a repulsor but all of these transports are simply too expensive.  The Impulsor is great though

Edited by SirVulkan

The way I look at it is: if you’re going to shell out to transport your infantry, the transport should either be as cheap as humanly possible or should fill some gap that needs to be taken care of on the way in. In that regard, Rhinos may be the most effective tools for units like sternguard vets, or if you want to transport them in the LR’s then the LR should compliment the unit. Maybe we should weigh the god hammer more heavily if we’re taking a bunch of combi-flamers, or vice versa, maybe the Crusader or Redeemer should be chosen if we stack up on combi-meltas.

Fun idea for your list. Battalion + Vanguard

Vulkan

Apothecary

Librarian with Combi Melta

3x Assault Centurions with flamers/hurricanes

Land Raider Redeemer with Storm Bolter

Cataphractii Captain with TH/LC

5x TH SS Terminators

Land Raider Redeemer with Storm Bolter

Librarian with Combi Melta

3x 5 man Tac Squads with Melta + Combi Melta/Power Axe

Land Raider Crusader with Storm Bolter

1997pts. Everything fits in the Land Raiders, you can make two of them T9 every turn, and with Prepared Positions first turn you have everything at T8 with a 4+ save to -3 AP, and still a 5+ vs Devastator Doctrine lascannons. Not competitive, but fun.

He'Stan and 5 aggressors, either with flamers or meltaguns and hurricane bolters on the chest, in a crusader seems a good option. If I were to run a redeemer I'd put hammernators in it with a smash captain. You'd only really be able to field one of these in a 2000 point army. I'd seriously consider a rlic Levi in a drradpod though, it won't arrive by turn 2 at the earliest, but by then you'll have activated your tactical doctrine bonus and you can unleash hell with its cyclonic melta lance.