Adepta Sororitas Canoness

Brother Zeal

Howdy all,

A wee while ago I picked up the Sister Superior Amalia Novena model on a whim, thinking that I'd plonk her into one of the (many) INQ28 retinues lurking in my study, but when my attention finally drifted from other projects onto her, one of the little cogs clicking away in my skull went into overdrive and somehow this happened:

gallery_143989_15939_176531.jpg

Canoness Elynor Flint, Order of the Unending Vigil.

gallery_143989_15939_281763.jpg

gallery_143989_15939_182991.jpg

Here's a shot of the perspective one would typically view Sister Superior Amalia:

gallery_143989_15939_675313.jpg

And a close up of the cultist who was too distracted by heresy to smell the promethium and incense before it was too late:

gallery_143989_15939_969865.jpg

And then a WIP shot, showing Flint as a mere Sister Superior before she was promoted on a whim:

gallery_143989_15939_549060.jpg

As a result of all this, I've been bit by the bug and will be collecting an army of Nuns With Guns when they finally hit the shelves. I'm not a fan of the new Canoness model so this lass will serve as both my inevitable army's HQ as well as a character in my INQ28 project.

Nothing special, just thought I'd share. All suggestions for improvement welcome and appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow I totally love the green armor looks wonderful! And the dead demon on the ground looks really cool too. It's nice seeing out of the box paint schemes.

Thank you! I'm quite pleased how the metallic green turned out.

Earlier this year I made a witch's brew of Waywatcher Green, Tamiya Clear Green, Biel-tan Green and a dash of Hexwraith Flame, all blended with Army Painter's Quickshade Wash Mix and Lahmian Medium. Sadly I did not write down the ratios to recreate this formula, leaving me with a single 17ml dropper bottle of the stuff to work with when I get my hands on some SOB kits. I'm slightly worried that I won't be able to recreate the mix when it runs out, and I doubt that any of the new contrast paints will yield a consistent result...

Excellent work. Are the cultist's horns the result of the Chaos Gods' blessings, i.e., a mutation? Or cosmetic surgery to make him (her?) look intimidating?

My original concept was for it to be a minor mutation, inspired by the horned skeletons on the cover of the original Codex: Witch Hunters, but the idea of the horns being cosmetically grafted onto the dude's skull is deliciously grim. It brings to mind of one of the Sons of Horus in Vengeful Spirit, who had shards of loyalist armour shaped into horns and wedged into his skull while apothecaries were treating him for a head wound. Nothing quite says "radical" like a pair of horns!

Excellent work. Are the cultist's horns the result of the Chaos Gods' blessings, i.e., a mutation? Or cosmetic surgery to make him (her?) look intimidating?

My original concept was for it to be a minor mutation, inspired by the horned skeletons on the cover of the original Codex: Witch Hunters, but the idea of the horns being cosmetically grafted onto the dude's skull is deliciously grim. It brings to mind of one of the Sons of Horus in Vengeful Spirit, who had shards of loyalist armour shaped into horns and wedged into his skull while apothecaries were treating him for a head wound. Nothing quite says "radical" like a pair of horns!
These details can add a lot of "character" to our characters, making them seem like real people instead of stand-ins with which a talentless hack may screech about the Vice and/or Virtue of the Day (see TOO MANY writers in 2019).