Which model do you wish GW would bring back?

TorvaldTheMild

Lucoryphus' portrayal in the NL trilogy is what completely sold me on that look. That sort of mixture between a Resident Evil Licker, the Predator and a Chaos Space Marine is just too badass, yes-yes.

If I ever build some Raptors, I will try to convert them following this look, but I cannot find any good feet alternatives ATM (maybe modifying the Havoc ones?).

EDIT: How could I forget Zso Sahaal ripping some heads off with his taloned feet in Lord of the Night?

The Raptors kit actually comes with talons, intended for Warp Talons; just use those.

Can they cling to the ceiling and run along it on all fours? They don’t have something close true nimble flight, the way 2002 raptors had hit-and-run while loyalists didn’t. No, I loved that they were a cult if armored man-beasts built by heresy-era elite units with rare equipment. The HH game happened and threw away that background a bit. I don’t think the current raptors and the 2002 raptors are even the same unit.

Edited by Beta galactosidase

Can they cling to the ceiling and run along it on all fours? They don’t have something close true nimble flight, the way 2002 raptors had hit-and-run while loyalists didn’t. No, I loved that they were a cult if armored man-beasts built by heresy-era elite units with rare equipment. The HH game happened and threw away that background a bit. I don’t think the current raptors and the 2002 raptors are even the same unit.

Thank h Gav dex for that. Raptors became "chaos assault marines" and then we got warp talons, neither of which reflect what the Raptor Cult actually was. 

On models I want to see back, maybe those raptors.

I regret not hanging onto my mordians.

Thank h Gav dex for that. Raptors became "chaos assault marines" and then we got warp talons, neither of which reflect what the Raptor Cult actually was. 

On models I want to see back, maybe those raptors.

I regret not hanging onto my mordians.

Gav dex has the exact same description as the 3rd ed raptors, so fluff wise they're the same. The rules weren't great but they kept the plasma and melta guns and gained a max squad size of 20 and were 2 points cheaper so weren't identical to 4th ed assault marines. 3rd ed raptors were 5-10 in both codexes and both versions had hit and run but the fear ability worked differently in each book. The 3.5 book has art for the updated raptors but doesn't show in detail of any raptor models (some original ones are hiding in a big Iron warriors battle display) so its the hated Gav-dex which contains the first actual codex outing of the 'classic' metal raptors but they're in the 2004 catalogue so were part of the 3.5 release even if they weren't ready for the 3.5 codex.

8th ed's description is basically just a reprint of the 6th ed text but both are also in line with the 3rd ed version. 6th ed limited squad size to 15 and gave Raptors yet another version of the fear ability from 3rd ed but not hit and run and 8th ed Raptors still have a morale ability (that's oddly closer to the one from the 3.5 dex). So the HH game is basically irrelevant and Raptors have the exact same background they've always had.

Fluff wise the morale based ability was more important than the hit and run so it makes some sense that they've kept that one. They're definitely the same unit from 3rd-8th, its just that the 4th ed version had too bare bones rules. Fluff wise Raptors still have true flight compared to loyalist jump infantry, rules wise Raptors have the same ability to fly as loyalists but that's also the same as Tyranid Gargoyles so its not like they're especially misrepresented. Hit and Run wasn't purely a representation of Raptor's flight skills, it was a representation of their cowardice and cruelty.

Plastic raptors have talons, they're just smaller than the ones you're supposed to use for warp talons. A humanoid is never going to run on all fours without gorilla style arm length or major changes to the whole skeleton. The Havoc talons are bigger more organic versions of the raptor ones but are way smaller and less articulated than the warp talon ones. 3.0 winged raptors had basically the same talons as the plastic ones, the (3.5?) 4th ed ones had more extended talons.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

You know what? The metal Sorcerers on a permanent basis, in plastic, with slightly tweaked sculpts for extra detail and better scale. I get we have the new Faith and Fury plastic one, which uses design cues from the old ones, but I need my Sindri. I own a Force Axe metal one now - an original one, in fact, I know because I saw it before the repro happened - and I love the sculpt.

I don't want them to bring any back as they are mostly rubbish by modern standards.

I would, however, like for them to make updates of old, missing models.

Can you really look at the cheesy-grin cartoon villain plastic Daemon Prince and honestly say to yourself it looks better than the old, menacing Juan Diaz one?

We’re not talking model detail quality or ease of assembly here - we’re talking purely model beauty. A plastic recut of the old metal Daemon Prince with no change to the design, only using modern plastic technology is one of the closest things we’d see to genuine universal acclaim.

Edit: pics for reference. I call it, How and How Not To Do Menace: A Masterclass.

A108-C976-7-DD5-4-CA8-AD24-B257-F320-F10

88-F3-BB31-BE32-49-F3-8-EC0-F3-BDE5-ECB2

Exceptions don't prove the rule. Also the plastic models used as comparison here are also pretty old.

I don't want them to bring any back as they are mostly rubbish by modern standards.

I would, however, like for them to make updates of old, missing models.

Can you really look at the cheesy-grin cartoon villain plastic Daemon Prince and honestly say to yourself it looks better than the old, menacing Juan Diaz one?

We’re not talking model detail quality or ease of assembly here - we’re talking purely model beauty. A plastic recut of the old metal Daemon Prince with no change to the design, only using modern plastic technology is one of the closest things we’d see to genuine universal acclaim.

Edit: pics for reference. I call it, How and How Not To Do Menace: A Masterclass.

A108-C976-7-DD5-4-CA8-AD24-B257-F320-F10

88-F3-BB31-BE32-49-F3-8-EC0-F3-BDE5-ECB2

Exceptions don't prove the rule. Also the plastic models used as comparison here are also pretty old.

Eh, to be fair, this thread IS about cherry-picking and wishlisting a little. The fact that the Prince IS an exception to this rule is enough to make it relevant, I believe.

Brat gangers for Necromunda.

Oooh, that is a good shout. I feel GeeDubs would shy away from it nowadays because of the stigma of showing young'uns killing/dying, which is a shame as IMO it severely adds to the grimdark.

Before I forget, actually, the Redemptionists were awesome sculpts that would be cool to have back. Also, whilst not strictly 40K, the Mordheim stuff, partly because they're awesome models and partly because they'd make excellent conversion fodder.

Ooh, Redemptionists are a good pick, even if some of the Forge World Cawdor heads looked a bit Redemptionist-inspired they could do with some of those crazy sculpts back.

Edited by Magos Takatus

Oooh, that is a good shout. I feel GeeDubs would shy away from it nowadays because of the stigma of showing young'uns killing/dying, which is a shame as IMO it severely adds to the grimdark.

True but no different to killing juves from house gangs, and what do they do with dead bodies on Munda?? Snacc time... 

they could just do a soft reboot of the Brats and just have them as posh bored uphivers, kinda like what the Spyrers were but a bit more Clockwork Orange. 

True but no different to killing juves from house gangs, and what do they do with dead bodies on Munda?? Snacc time... 

they could just do a soft reboot of the Brats and just have them as posh bored uphivers, kinda like what the Spyrers were but a bit more Clockwork Orange. 

True, but IIRC GW haven't released Juves for the new Necromunda rules (not that that's stopping us from converting our own/using the old models). Which again is a bit of a shame, because youngsters butchering each other is about as genuinely grimdark as it gets