8th Ed Sister Dex FAQ

Slasher956

I do not know if she would be considered a Saint, but after reading the first Psychic Awakening book and then reading throught the new Codex I think that Ephrael Stern will return as a character with a model, likley in the last book of the Psychic Awakening series.

That would be awesome. I have the graphic novels and have wished for rules and an actual model for years. Having her realized would be right up there with having plastic sisters.

Black Library released a model for her years ago with Inquisitor Hand from the first graphic novel.  I always wanted rules for her too.  I used to use her as a jump Canoness, and then later as a Seraphim Superior when the Canoness lost the option for a jump pack.

I need to to get mine re-painted, but here is what the model looks like.  I like the model, but it had the issue of being rather flat in design, like all models from back then.

http://www.solegends.com/citle2000/blacklibrary/blstern/blsternparts-02.jpg

I would love to see her return with some new rules.  But I would more prefer that we get a dual kit that makes a generic character with bits to make her Ephrael Stern.  I mean let's be honest, who here wouldn't want a generic jump character back in the sister's codex.

Looking back at the immolator box picture in one of the threads... It has a multimelta in place of the heavy bolter on the Hull... So have they left things out of the codex to put in PA?

So we have sister stern, a 2nd generic sister HQ, 2nd troop choice, 2nd Hull weapon options

Edited by Slasher956

If you're talking about the images on the right side of the box, look closer; that's the turret, not the hull. Note the metal framing around it, as well as the flames from the braziers underneath.  I'm not seeing any images of a hull mounted multimelta.

I though so to on first glance, but going to the source, Valrak's twitter, it's just a picture of the turret. 
https://twitter.com/CMValrak/status/1213417698924941313

There is an arch over the weapon mount on the Turret that's very similar to the arch on the hull mount. But those bit's of orange in the lower right of the multimelta pic are from the torches mounted on top of the exhausts, showing that the multimelta picture has to be on the turret.  

No, it's not.

1. the caption underneath says "twin multi-melta"

2. the framing around the two weapons is the same as the framing around the inferno flamers on the turret

3. the fleur-de-lis to the right of the weapons is the same one on the turret and same one on the picture of the Immolation  Flamers

4. the pieces to the left of the weapons are identical to the pieces on the turret

5. the flames underneath the fleur line up with the flames from the brazier that are below the turret

For the updated holy trinity strategem will a superior firing just the boltgun part of a combi-flamer be enough to meet the bolter and flamer prerequisite in a 5 sister retributor squad with mult-meltas or is the strategem only ever going to work when withing 8" of an enemy?

Not got the codex in work with me... but there is a box on pg 97* (I think) that states what is a flamer and melta weapon... and (again off memory) its the flamer profile of a combi weapon

*& is stated in the strat as to check there to see what weapons qualify.

I'll look over them when I have more time, but the questions on the first page need to have their grammar checked before they're sent off to GW. Some of the wording also seems confusing to me.

As for Holy Trinity, IIRC the stratagem still requires different models firing each weapon so a combi-flamer works for either the bolter or flamer portion of the stratagem, but not both.

If you refer back to the section that defines the holy trinity of weapons on page 97, it calls out the combi-flamer as being a flamer weapon... but only in reference to the flamer portion of that weapon.  So for Holy Trinity, the model would have to fire the flamer portion of the combi-flamer in order to satisfy the flamer requirement of the stratagem.

BUT... the text on Holy Trinity has been slightly modified.  It no longer specifies "model with X" or anything along those lines.  It simply looks for a bolt weapon, a flame weapon, and a melta weapon all fired.  So as far as I can tell... 5 Retributors with 4 HF and a combi-melta firing their entire payload would trigger Holy Trinity, but they would not if you ONLY fired half of that combi-weapon.  I typically bring a Simulacrum with the unit to avoid the possible arguments, and because Simulacrum + Melta in the squad is usually a strong play.  As far as I read, however, there should be nothing stopping a combi-weapon from triggering 2 different portions of Holy Trinity so long as both portions of the weapon are used.

Doesn't change the fact Holy Trinity is still a bad use of CP. 4HF Rets using both cherubs may be the only time it's really worth it due to the sheer volume of fire you're putting out, and even then it seemed iffy if memory serves.

plus the Retributor strat... to allow you to re-roll the number of hits

& to go all in you use Argent Shroud...

So thats advance (MD a 6 for it) giving you a 24" threat range of 6 D6(re-rolling) hits at S6 AP-1.... 

I'll look over them when I have more time, but the questions on the first page need to have their grammar checked before they're sent off to GW. Some of the wording also seems confusing to me.

As for Holy Trinity, IIRC the stratagem still requires different models firing each weapon so a combi-flamer works for either the bolter or flamer portion of the stratagem, but not both.

It no longer has the wording to require different models to fire those weapons. Edited by Lemondish

I'm not arguing over the viability of the tactic, simply the legality of it.  I may toss a squad capable of it out there just to see if I can use it, or maybe red herring my opponent into doing something regrettable.  My response was simply in reference to the question about how it works in regards to combi-flamers.

Doesn't change the fact Holy Trinity is still a bad use of CP. 4HF Rets using both cherubs may be the only time it's really worth it due to the sheer volume of fire you're putting out, and even then it seemed iffy if memory serves.

plus the Retributor strat... to allow you to re-roll the number of hits

& to go all in you use Argent Shroud...

So thats advance (MD a 6 for it) giving you a 24" threat range of 6 D6(re-rolling) hits at S6 AP-1.... 

Not Str 6. You're still Str 5, but adding +1 to wound (with natural 1s still failing), so heavy flamers and heavy bolters:

* Wound T3 and 4 on 2s (S6 and S8)

* Wound T5 on 3s (S6)

* Wound T6-9 on 4s (S = T)

* Wound 10-14 [warlord titans] on 5s (S6 from 10-11, S7 against T12-13, S8 vs T14)

Personally I find Holy Trinity to be useful with my basic Sister squads. Typically I get one off about once a game and it has come through for me quite well. Usually it will be on or after turn 3 when I get the chance to use it.

\\break\\

And Slasher956 thanks much for taking the lead on sending in the FAQ questions. I am really interested in the Canoness build question.

Edited by Montford

I've updated the wording of the questions in the OP 

please comment if you think other things should be added.

I've not put masses of though in to all the interactions possible in the codex so they may well be some interactions that need clearing up that I've missed

@Slasher956

The first question, about Dominon Vanguard, may be irrelevant. Vanguard moves happen before the first battle round begins and IIRC (Codex isn't nearby atm), you don't roll for your Miracle Dice until the start of the battle round/turn (ability dependent).