Loishy's 1st and 5th compagny

Loishy

About the pictures - I think you should have some kind of pictures edit option on your phone even - look for the 'exposure' as adjusting 'brightness' will just apply a film to everything and you want your colours to remain vivid.

Regarding the battle damage - I think some of the problem might be in that it seems you changed the approach . On your Intercessors you were doing battle damage by making dark markings which you later underlined with the highlight colour. On the Librarian, some scratches do not have this darker colour, which makes the scratches look like they were on the same level as edge highlights. And this makes the armour look flat. On a cloe-up, I can see that some of the markings on the Librarian have this type of 2-colours battle damage marks, but some don't.

Layering is a basic painting technique where you change colours by applying them in layers very close to one another to achieve a transition effect.

Stippling is a technique where you apply the paint in a jabbing motion (so striking the surface with the tip of your brush). This creates dots of colour which can blend together. Again, this is a way of achieving ta transition between colours.

Good points; the battle damage on the librarian appears more like surface scratches as if the armor was cleaned with a wire sponge rather than deep dents. It doesn't look like he got hit by a few Ork choppas, but more like he was the subject to concentrated fire from an Imperial Guard squad.  And as you pointed out, that is because there are no dark shadows to mimic a big dent.  Also, what I meant by layering and stipling is - the armor IS very flat, aside from basic shading there is no volume definition.  Which is fine, until you add the battle damage, but in the absence of any shadow gradients of surface texture it starts to look cartoonish.  Which, again, is fine by itself, but it doesn't mesh well with the hard boiled battle damage look.

Edited by appiah5

About the pictures - I think you should have some kind of pictures edit option on your phone even - look for the 'exposure' as adjusting 'brightness' will just apply a film to everything and you want your colours to remain vivid.

I have these options, I have used them on the last photos, but I didn't find the right settings to get exactly what I want. I gave up after 20 minutes of research.

Regarding the battle damage - I think some of the problem might be in that it seems you changed the approach . On your Intercessors you were doing battle damage by making dark markings which you later underlined with the highlight colour. On the Librarian, some scratches do not have this darker colour, which makes the scratches look like they were on the same level as edge highlights. And this makes the armour look flat. On a cloe-up, I can see that some of the markings on the Librarian have this type of 2-colours battle damage marks, but some don't.

All battle damages have the two colours. But on a Kantor blue base, I must use Doombull Brown as darker colour, and it is not as visible as the skavenblight dinge on the red.

Good points; the battle damage on the librarian appears more like surface scratches as if the armor was cleaned with a wire sponge rather than deep dents. It doesn't look like he got hit by a few Ork choppas, but more like he was the subject to concentrated fire from an Imperial Guard squad.  And as you pointed out, that is because there are no dark shadows to mimic a big dent.  Also, what I meant by layering and stipling is - the armor IS very flat, aside from basic shading there is no volume definition.  Which is fine, until you add the battle damage, but in the absence of any shadow gradients of surface texture it starts to look cartoonish.  Which, again, is fine by itself, but it doesn't mesh well with the hard boiled battle damage look.

So is it possible to have a "cartoonish" style and battle damages that mesh well ? 

• 2 weeks later...

Really cool guy. I like the lighter red a lot and the cloak looks fantastic. Did you use weathering powder or is it brushwork?

Thanks ! 

It's Brushwork, Drybrushing of Karak Stone then Drybrushing of Longbeard Grey

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
This is my second Intercessor squad, the last Battleline squad in the core of my 5th company (Squads between 1 and 10). There may be other Battleline squads in the support squads (Squads between 11 and 20), certainly Heavy Intercessors. 

Initially I was hoping to finish this squad in july. But a friend asked me to paint something for him and my august and september were very busy months. 

52224855911_23a698102d_c.jpg
52225341360_b11ff8db13_c.jpg
Edited by Loishy

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Love both!

I trimmed the hood off my Dark Imperium Gravis Captain too! I did it for both my Blood Angels and Dark Angels. I like how you left a high piece in the back of the collar! If I had to do another one I'd copy that. Looks more "finished" imo. 

Edited by Helias Tancred