=] 12 Months of Hobby 2020 [=

Grotsmasha

Now, that's my vow made, Might as well make a start - let's see how well Contrast paint works on a Crisis suit, eh?

Answer: Not Great - mostly blotchy and with very visible brush marks. :sweat:

Two coats of Contrast worked alright as far as coverage goes, though - and if I'd had the Contrast Medium it might even have still done the whole Contrast thing properly on the edges. :sweat:

Nevertheless: One Crisis Suit, as promised vowed:

gallery_46204_9220_112554.jpg

These things are so much fun to build.

...I'm probably going to wind up with more than just the three suits. :ermm:

The only hard part was getting the feet to stay attached to the legs. Even an hour after gluing it together the poor thing couldn't stay upright!

I eventually had to hold the crisis suit in place overnight by surrounding it with paint pots so it couldn't fall over! :laugh.:

Also, I didn't realise exactly how freaking HUGE these things were next to regular little Fire Warriors until I'd finished putting the Crisis Suit together.

A couple of extra pics in the spoilers, including one with two Fire Warriors to give a more accurate sizing.

gallery_46204_9220_32900.jpggallery_46204_9220_27576.jpg

OK, time for another vow I think:

I, MAJKHEL of the Blood Angels, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of MARCH vow to complete 5 Blood Angels Incursors to the defence of the IMPERIUM Faction by month's end.

med_gallery_105306_14251_650927.jpg

I need to complete assembly with some minor GS-ing, paint and base them and apply decals.

Not that much time on my hands despite the anti-coronavirus stay-at-home regime in Poland.

I'll go for another vow as well. More baby steps.

I, Wakkomaster, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of March pledge to complete for the Imperium 1 Space Marine Primaris Ancient by month's end.

Here it is:

P 20200316 230821

Same treatment as the lieutenent - touch-ups, highlights, decals and basing.

Out of curiosity, will the recently started events: March of the Machines (Iron Hands Event) and the Chalnath Expanse Liberation (Imperial Guard Event) count as events for bonus CP like Loyalty and Treachery?

Yes. I'll look into the Events and see how they work :thumbsup:

Will this extend to the hobbying parts of the Iron Gauntlet (specifically, challenge the second and the penultimate challenge)?

Looks good Jole!

Some progress from me as well:

So Incursors it is.

I have sorted out how I want them to look like and here is the first 5-man squad:
gallery_105306_14251_422158.jpg

gallery_105306_14251_156251.jpg

Apart from the one with the Haywire mine, all are from the multipart box with some additional bits here and there.

The most obvious conversion are the helmets. I have basically chopped off the scopes from the Incursors' heads and attached them to the Infiltrators' helmets in the place previously occupied by the antennae (those went to the Incursors' heads and I plan to use those on the Scout Bikers at one point).

I also wanted to show off the usage of knives as much as possible, which wasn't that easy with the original kit as there is only the throwing-knife-arm available :dry.: (and I don't really like it).

Luckily this is where the Reivers' kit came to the rescue and my plan is to include at least one of their blades in each squad (3x5-man squads planned). Their knives are obviously bigger than the Infiltrators' scabbards (as is any other knife out there and funnily enough, Reivers' own scabbards are also noticeably smaller than their blades), but I should have enough spare Scout Bikers scabbarded knives to cover that. Other more standard size drawn knives would be coming from kits like Intercessors and Tacticals.

Not happy with the fact that scabbards on the one wielding two knives are facing different directions (knife edges toward each other). I will change that if I can find another scabbard. I generally dislike the direction the double-scabbards are pointing but that's just the way they are cast, so no point in grumbling too much. Personally, if possible I would be placing them like I did it with the Haywire mine-guy or one on the hip, one on the back.

Cheers!

Incursors are mostly built. I might still add some pouches and more grenades later, but don't want to overdo it.

Edited by Majkhel

I longjohnsilver embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge and for the month of March pledge to complete at least one or more Imperial Guard from the pictured Patrol detachment for the defence of the Xenos faction.

This is going to be my vow for the Imperial Guard Chalnath Expansion event, which is finishing in April (just in case there are bonus points for fulfilling the vow on that).

wmiDhWJ.jpg

wAhrItn.jpg

Quite happy with that last model. I was inspired by an old WD magazine to convert a set of legs by chopping the kneeling legs from the Command squad with the tip-toe/ running legs from the Cadian Infantry squad and the other spare legs ended up being better than the intended conversion. The other one is sprayed black and standing on sand bags, although looks like its falling over :smile.:

The Patrol is :

HQ - Company Commander - laspistol, chainsword

Elite - Platoon Commander - laspistol, chainsword

Troops - Infantry Squad - meltagun

Longjhonsilver, your space guardsmen are something else! Such a simple conversion, but gives so much in return :smile.:

Thanks very much, Majkhel. Hopefully when I've assembled enough infantry and sculpted a lot more I'll do a tutorial. For now I treat it as a 4 stage assembly process (2 stages of sculpting) with stage 3 -placing the copper wire in place- being the hardest bit. For the tutorial I'll try to look into other alternatives, like meltabombs chopped down instead of promethium tanks for the nitro chem-inhalers, plastic bendable wire from the servo-skulls in the IG command squad (Cadian) kit instead of copper, which is a nightmare to work with, and alternative objects like small electrical components that can also be used for the back-pack.

Out of curiosity, will the recently started events: March of the Machines (Iron Hands Event) and the Chalnath Expanse Liberation (Imperial Guard Event) count as events for bonus CP like Loyalty and Treachery?

Yes. I'll look into the Events and see how they work :thumbsup:

Will this extend to the hobbying parts of the Iron Gauntlet (specifically, challenge the second and the penultimate challenge)?

Having had a read through the Event, yes it will count, and not just the second challenge;

The Liberalia Maritale 2020: The Iron Gauntlet

17th Mar to 17th May - Challenge 1:  Create a DIY article for a Faction of your choice, 3 Tiers. Up to 3CP available

17th May to 17th Jul - Challenge 2:  Assemble, Paint and Base models for said DIY, 3 Tiers. Up to 3CP available

17th Jul to 17th Aug - Challenge 3:  Battle Report with said DIY, 3 Tiers. Up to 3CP available

17th Aug to 17th Sep - Challenge 4:  Create Character Datasheets for your DIY, 3 Tiers. Up to 3CP available

17th Sep to 17th Dec - Challenge 5:  Write a story for your DIY Faction, 3 Tiers. Up to 3CP available

That gives a potential of 15 extra CP to anyone who completes the Gold challenge of all 5 challenges :tu:

Short progress update, the Thallax and Castellax just need a few finishing touches (the AdMech symbols and similar) as well as some touching up and correcting and the last third of basing. The Magos on the other hand is looking so daunting, so so so many details. I had not realized quite how much little nooks and crannies with details that model had.

gallery_29932_12734_126681.jpg

So now that I look at it again, I got the feet the wrong way around on my Crisis Suit and I left out the fancy large shoulder pad they come with. :wallbash:
The shoulder pad I can (probably) fix, the feet... might be a bit more long-term.

Anyway. Moving forward.

I, Acemund Debonair, the Hawk of Talhon, hereby embark once more on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge! For the month of March, I pledge to complete Two (2) Crisis Battlesuits of the Ghostwalker Colony Defence Force to the defence of the Chaos Faction by month's end.

gallery_46204_9220_86115.jpg

I've got an itch to build some more Crisis Suits, so I might as well scratch it while I'm in a painting mood! :laugh.:

So my state just closed all non essential businesses. I needed a new base for my second moriax.

Can I request an exemption and remove that unit from vow.

Once I get the TPE done I'll have a new vow with models I have on hand.

Brood Brothers squad three is done. Which means all of my plastic guardsmen have now been inducted into the ranks of the Cult.

squad 3

(Seen here being photobombed by everyone else)

That completes my March vow surprisingly early. April will see the last part of my Guard refurbishment project, as these officers get new arms, new weapons, and a new coat of paint.

officers Wip

Looking sweet there Rogue and Dwango! Liking the colour choices and distinctive models for the brood brothers, and to my Legion's shame I have to applaud a cool looking 1st Legion Dread, complete with some badass checkers. Especially fond of the green on the weapon casings, does well to break up the black on the upper body half.

My vow is almost there, now uni's been semi-cancelled, but I've run into an issue of not knowing what colour to pick for the terminator's hair. Would rather stay away from black since it's surrounded by a black cowl armour part, and had earmarked the loincloth to be leather so that might make brown hair not ideal, but can't say for sure. Did originally throw a start of dirty blonde sorta colour on but don't think it quite suits. Any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

IMG-20200321-000208.jpg

Thanks for the comments Aeternus. That nightlord is looking sweet! How about greyish colour for the hair? Still gaunt but away from black. You could even tint it slightly blue if you wanted.

I, Givemead, accept the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge and vow to paint 2 Bloodletters by months end for the glory of the Chaos faction.

UwTWfdt.jpg?1

These are going to be tests for the scheme I will use on my Fleshhounds and Karanak.

Working on my vow but spending a lot of time away from the painting desk. Hoping to get through some more today and then bring it with me tomorrow to keep working. I've ended up trying to update the detailing and rebasing these old models, but I didn't want to completely paint over everything I did when I first painted them 8 years ago. It's good to see some personal progress.

In the meantime, 6 models complete ...

The Heretic Astartes of the VIIth Grand Battalion have begun to arrive in force. The first arrivals are the Third Squad of the Eightth Company, reconstituted from successor Iron Warriors, traitor marines, and Imperial turncoats after their destruction while fighting in the 9th Black Crusade.

49687331608_4c58e1bc33_c.jpg

Sergeant Syrus leads Third Squad. A former Sergeant in the Fourth Company of the Loyalist Panthers Rampant Chapter, he ordered his squad to detonate munitions charges as they withdrew from fighting against Slaaneshi Daemonettes on the Hiveworld Terias. The loss of thousands of civilians sheltering in the ruins and underground tunnel system did not sit well with the Salamanders Captain in overall command of loyalist forces, who ordered him on a mission of penance. He has not confessed the events that led to his fall, but he maintains the trust of Erasmus Arruk

49687332828_b5303df79b_c.jpg

Honoured Legionnaire Khallorg is the only Legionnaire in Third Squad. Transferred into the squad at the request of Erasmus Arruk, it is common practice in the VII Grand Battalion for Legionnaires to be placed into squads of successors, and Imperial turncoats. The spread of true Iron Warriors helps to ensure the Legion's culture and martial practices are instilled into every squad. The Legionnaires also serve as informants and commissars to their more senior commanders, with whom they often share informal fraternity.

49688168112_056ea7a90c_c.jpg

Legionnaire Khys is one of the few marines in the Eighth Company to hail from Fulgrim's lineage. At the time of the Heresy, Khys was among several squads of Emperor's Children manning a fortress with the Iron Warriors in the Bacci System. Hearing of their Legion's new loyalties, the fortress erupted into civil war with forces from both Legions on each side. Although Khys has never spoken of the fighting, or which side he joined initially, he and his allies battled out of the fortress to find their Legion. Finding them a hideous distortion of the proud warriors he remembered, he renounced his legion when they attempted to seize and sacrifice his Iron Warrior companions. Khys and the other survivors of the Bacci combat maintain a loose fraternity, though their numbers grow thin.

49688168082_aa40982260_c.jpg

The Sorcerer Ihm'khar, outcast from the Thousand Sons, has also arrived to bolster Erasmus' forces. A longtime confidante of the Sorcerer known only as the Pallid One, Ihm'khar has proved his worth to the VII Grand Battalion, and their allies in the Pact of the Standing Stones countless times through the Long War.

49688165277_7a6fdbaf00_c.jpg

Edited by Llagos_Tyrant

A low rumble filled the air as the treads tore the loose mud apart, blackened stains trailing in its wake as the beast slowly began its long journey across the Vatarus Plains. The beast caged within felt neither joy or sorrow at the destruction soon to come, only certainty that this was the will of the Dark Gods.

12 Months - Vow 5

I, Arakos The Corruptor, hereby pledge to complete one Plagueburst Crawler by Month's End in the name of Lord Abaddon and Lord Mortarion.

Death to the False Emperor!