+++ To the Bitter End - The Badab War +++

"There are many like you, good men in service to bad causes..."

Precisely. Some times, we may be faced with a choice between duty and kin. Some times the answer is just not so easy.

Those purity seals that you wrote on are amazing. How did you write that small?

Really cool bionics and mud you’ve done. Keep it up.

Thanks, man! Actually, I don't write any of the purity seals themselves. For the Oath of the Moment on Mykail's shoulder and 'Mina' on Venatana's Bolter, both are transfers from the most recent Sister's of Battle sheet.

Great use of both the SW blade-drawing arm, and the pistol-swap - that must've been surprisingly annoying to do [for some reason, liberating primaris hands/arms from their bolt-rifles is often an ordeal]; but manages a decent and realistic pose

also, the Deathwatch pauldron and helmet , plus that one line of text in the bio - really helps to tell a story , succinctly ; well done 

Thanks, though actually both arms are just from the Reiver box. Wasn't too difficult to take off the heavy bolt pistol and replace it with this one.

Really characterful. :smile.::smile.:

Thank you! :smile.:

Stunning as always mate! 

I love your little succinct fluff tidbits! 

Thanks so much, man. I'm really glad you love my models and fluff. Gotta say, I'm admittedly rather enamored with your version of Huron using Horus as the base model. I'm not gonna lie, I am very tempted by the idea of replicating some of your ideas...

Right!? Always well thought out, excellently written, and formatted.

Awww... Stop it... :blush.: 

Battle Brother Yvril of the Astral Claws Chapter

Legionary Cohort Squad Haakon, XIII Legion

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, outside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Exsanguination from eighteen individual stab wounds

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Cornered, gutted, and left to rot; he died cold, alone, begging for forgiveness.

0PkiPnh.jpg

3StSu5B.jpg

MJv5wfR.jpg

Edited by Noctus Cornix

I betcha it was the sharks who stabbed him so many times and left him to bleed out! Right after they overloaded the Planet’s thermic reactors and forgot to tell everyone. My kind of chapter. But seriously, I really admire your dedication to the project, crispness and details of your models and their back stories. Always looking forward to more! Edited by Yosef Hausakluif

Stunning as always mate! 

Thanks so much, man. I'm really glad you love my models and fluff. Gotta say, I'm admittedly rather enamored with your version of Huron using Horus as the base model. I'm not gonna lie, I am very tempted by the idea of replicating some of your ideas...

Is but the truth brother, you little bits of fluff really remind me of the older GW style of just a little bit of info, but allows your imagination to do the rest. Unlike current stuff where it jams it down your throat haha. Mate have at it and if I can help in any way, let me know! 

Fantastic models and great, tragic fluff pieces! Loving your work here :smile.:

Thank you so much, man. That means a lot to me. :blush.:

I betcha it was the sharks who stabbed him so many times and left him to bleed out! Right after they overloaded the Planet’s thermic reactors and forgot to tell everyone. My kind of chapter. But seriously, I really admire your dedication to the project, crispness and details of your models and their back stories. Always looking forward to more!

Would you believe me if I told you it wasn't? ;)

Stunning as always mate! 

Is but the truth brother, you little bits of fluff really remind me of the older GW style of just a little bit of info, but allows your imagination to do the rest. Unlike current stuff where it jams it down your throat haha. Mate have at it and if I can help in any way, let me know! 

Hey, well it's not like I haven't had some sections of writing that have been more long form on this blog already. But I try to tell what I think is important without telling too much. It's an aspect of narration that I picked up from playing waaaaay too much Dark Souls and Blood Borne. There's something that's incredibly impactful about the unknown that we rarely give much thought to in our day to day. 

In a video interview from many years ago, I always remember a quote from Mr. Roger's (Yes, THAT Mr. Rogers), he said: "It's about the white spaces between each paragraph, because they are more important than any of the text. Because it gives you time to think about what you've just read." 

In a way, I believe that this also come to a great deal of importance in fiction. Some times we focus too much on filling in the seams of the narrative that we forget those seams and cracks are exactly what we need to have a compelling story. it creates room for reflection, room for interpretation and creativity to blossom. A narrative then no longer simply becomes 'your story' as it takes on a unique symbiotic presence with the reader and the way they read the story. 

I like to fill in some of the blanks here and there, and I certainly won't deny that my writing is more from the perspective of the Astral Claws and I am one of those people who will openly say I sympathize with Huron more than the Imperium. However, I know that a great deal of the ambiguity involving the Badab War is EXACTLY what makes it so compelling. Who am I to ruin that?

Now for something a little different...

Claw Aspirant R'aan of the Astral Claws Chapter

Accelerated Legionary Scout Squad Osvik, X Company

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, urban outskirts

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Gunned down by Heavy Bolter fire

Gene-Seed  Undetected

With dreams of Empire and service, he died without ever bringing harm to his Tyrant's enemies

lmeiSA0.jpg

oKVy7D3.jpg

plqzNyD.jpg

Great work on R'aan!

If I may advise a thing - when changing heads on Scouts (of which I can only approve!), it is really good to cut a deeper space for the neck, especially in the back section. I mean cutting at least a milimiter into the back plate. It allows the head to sit more properly on the body, giving better overall proportions and feel of a muscular, proud human as compared to the apish look with a forward-jutting head and jaw of the original.

Some of my own experiments on the subject:
med_gallery_105306_14251_1388778.jpg

This is how deep I make the place for the head. Note the missing 'collar' section.

med_gallery_105306_14251_1048405.jpg

A comparison of how the new head sits on the torso (right) compared to the original head (left)

med_gallery_105306_14251_507555.jpg

A selection of scouts with new heads compared to the original (right)

Great work on R'aan!

If I may advise a thing - when changing heads on Scouts (of which I can only approve!), it is really good to cut a deeper space for the neck, especially in the back section. I mean cutting at least a milimiter into the back plate. It allows the head to sit more properly on the body, giving better overall proportions and feel of a muscular, proud human as compared to the apish look with a forward-jutting head and jaw of the original.

Some of my own experiments on the subject:

med_gallery_105306_14251_1388778.jpg

This is how deep I make the place for the head. Note the missing 'collar' section.

med_gallery_105306_14251_1048405.jpg

A comparison of how the new head sits on the torso (right) compared to the original head (left)

med_gallery_105306_14251_507555.jpg

A selection of scouts with new heads compared to the original (right)

Hey, man. This is a really useful tutorial. I was honestly having some annoying issues when it came to making my scouts, so I really think this could help them out. I appreciate it, man.

• 3 weeks later...

Battle Brother Corrone of the Astral Claws Chapter

Legionary Cohort Squad Haakon, XIII Legion

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, outside subterranean cavern system

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Multiple mass-reactive detonations to the chest and head

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

Youngest of the Pride, he yearned to prove himself as a Lion. Instead, he died like a dog in the ditch.

QolzYC3.jpg

ZXHR8Br.jpg

aXSNOrA.jpg

Ff1caCN.jpg

And, with that, we have the last member of squad Haakon until I am able to get more Primaris models and bits to convert. Following that, I have on Astartes remaining that is not a member of the tactical squad. He's more of a proof of concept and you'll see him soon. Other than that, I have the remaining Storm Troopers and a few scouts to paint. Once those are complete, my Astral Claws will be completed until I am able to purchase more models. That being said, it might be a while before I do. I want to pick my Custodes and Word Bearers back up and put some proper love into them for upcoming 9th edition. So I'll likely be finishing up what I have and then leave the Astral Claws on the shelf for at least a little while. We'll see though. 

man, that posing on the last Astartes is *immense* ; really well done! 

Every time I swing through here, I come away with inspiration; a precious commodity, especially when dealing with the nth base-primaris-posing non-variation to try and make look individual, unique. 

Looking forward ot seeing your proof-of-concept - and whatever it is that come next 

Why do we continue fighting, you ask?

I suppose that is a fair question.

This is the end, the ultimate truth that our deeds in life were worth nothing.

All that we sought to build and defend have been left as not but ash and ruin.

Our Chapter is already dead. Our Lord's empire is fallen before it ever had a chance to rise.

Our legacy will fade to memory and our names will be stricken alongside every traitor that we slew in His name. 

All we had done, all we had hoped for...

It will burn in the ashes of our battle standard when they take it from the halls of the Eternity Gate and throw it upon the pyre. 

When you die, your soul will stand at that golden Gate

When I step through that door, I step forward to face our Emperor. 

I step forward to face death. And I step forward to face my sins.

we each stand alone before our Emperor..

And I will show to Him and my killers, no one else, who I really am.

It is a death that is certain. It is a death that is inevitable.

But it is a death that we have chosen.

On our own terms.

In our own way.

Sword and shield in hand.

Fighting to the bitter end.

kfQAMF1.jpg

Veteran Battle Brother Astora of the Astral Claws Chapter

I Company, Sternguard Veteran Squad Avalorn, Attached to the Astral Claws II Company

Recipient of the Imperial Laurels, Recipient of the Crux Terminatus

Pict-feed taken at the siege of the Palace of Thorns, defending the palace battlements

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, personally slain by Captain Zhrukal Androcles of the Star Phantoms Chapter

Gene-Seed Unrecovered

To his last breath, he roared his defiance in the face of the inevitable. 

Wut2q9u.jpg

LMEXdgJ.jpg

FREOuG4.jpg

cOTbm6l.jpg

014apz1.jpg

Well.... :censored:

Somehow managed to miss an update and posting a late reply due to work hours. But damn, you manage to capture everything I consider 'vital' about the Astral Claws in 5/6 lines of text. Some fraters can write several paragraphs about a single character but you manage to sum that up in under 60 words. Well done sir, bloody well done. Things like that are what got me interested in the Astral Claws, with Heathen's old plog with each character getting a paragraph of lore which sums up the Badab War.

Also you are a terrible infulence and I am planning on painting my Astral Claw Kill-team soon, I hope you are proud of yourself! :teehee:

Edit: Just took a second look and saw the blood coming from his chestpiece, damn fine attention to detail.

Edited by No Foes Remain

Was the detail on this latest Sternguard marine painted on! That’s some great freehand technique if yes; regardless a great model and attention to details overall. Love the green frag grenades and red krak grenades and how they pop against the all silver armor. Looks great!

Love it! My favorite part of this blog is the KIA reports on each marine; it gives them so much character and flavor. I really like the base on this latest guy as well

Thank you kindly, Naryn! Yeah, figuring out how each of them die is probably one of the most fun parts about each update. Not gonna lie. :P

man, that posing on the last Astartes is *immense* ; really well done! 

Every time I swing through here, I come away with inspiration; a precious commodity, especially when dealing with the nth base-primaris-posing non-variation to try and make look individual, unique. 

Looking forward ot seeing your proof-of-concept - and whatever it is that come next 

Hey, thanks Ryltar. It's always genuinely heart-warming to know my work inspires others. You guys are honestly the best.

Big fan of the aspirant, especially the choice of head. Some very nice posing and painting throughout the log too.

Thank you, brother!

Well.... :censored:

Somehow managed to miss an update and posting a late reply due to work hours. But damn, you manage to capture everything I consider 'vital' about the Astral Claws in 5/6 lines of text. Some fraters can write several paragraphs about a single character but you manage to sum that up in under 60 words. Well done sir, bloody well done. Things like that are what got me interested in the Astral Claws, with Heathen's old plog with each character getting a paragraph of lore which sums up the Badab War.

Also you are a terrible infulence and I am planning on painting my Astral Claw Kill-team soon, I hope you are proud of yourself! :teehee:

Edit: Just took a second look and saw the blood coming from his chestpiece, damn fine attention to detail.

Dude, I sincerely look forward to seeing your stuff. Glad you noticed the bleeding too :P

Excellent work on Astora.

Thanks, Bjorn!

How did  I miss that scout.....Amzing stuff!

Because they have infiltrate ;)

Was the detail on this latest Sternguard marine painted on! That’s some great freehand technique if yes; regardless a great model and attention to details overall. Love the green frag grenades and red krak grenades and how they pop against the all silver armor. Looks great!

Nah, it's all utilizing some transfer sheets, cutting them up and trying to get them align properly. I almost never try freehanding because I know it will look awful. :sweat:

• 8 months later...

Brother 'Corpse-Taker' Apothecary Enkida of the Astral Claws Chapter

Attached Command Cadre of Arch-Centurion Alva, XIII Legion

Subject Pronounced K.I.A, Dismemberment

Gene-Seed Desecrated

Hated most among all his damned kin, he was found alone and torn apart slowly.

m1leuhJ.jpg

mANkPwP.jpg

cNIC5db.jpg

3vZvxAG.jpg

IihEbCD.jpg

ywIhgWR.jpg

Very cool! It's lovely to see the arrogance and ruthlessness of the Astral Claws so well portrayed.

Even in their final days, their arrogance knew no limit... Thanks for the kind words, man. That means a great deal, especially coming from you. :)

I love the filth and grime on Enkida's armour. Interesting choice of victim, too - Minotaurs are often portrayed as nigh-invincible, only showing up to end wars and destroy other chapters, so it's unusual to see one dead in the dirt.

Thanks, Urauloth! I admit, the decision behind picking a Minotaur over another chapter was far more petty... Originally, it was going to be a Star Phantom, but I realized that the white-armoured apothecary standing atop an equally white corpse would blend a bit too much for my taste. With another Chapter needed, I picked the one I knew a friend of mine was playing. Nothing beats showing your buddies their murdered sons. :P

„By medicine, life max be prolonged, yet  death will sieze  the doctor too“

Old Earth Proverb

"What we were, you are; what we are, you will be..."

Coming up next is something I'm quite excited about and have been eager to bring from my brain onto the tabletop. As a huge fan of the Tyrant's Legion, how could I not absolutely love the Retaliators? They're the truest form of the Tyrant's ideals given shape, brutal instruments of his will enforce loyalty through absolute terror and carnage. They are everything a member of the Adeptus Astartes are meant to be, and yet so drastically veering from the path of the Codex Astartes. 

When it came to building the Retaliators, it was important to me that I represent them in a way that seems fitting to the mentality and lore of the unit, as opposed to the simple basics of unit's composition. Of course, the biggest issue I always had was with the combat shields. In essence, Retaliators give off the feel of Space Marine riot squads, brutally putting down insurrections and dissent, no matter where it comes from. In addition, much of the Retaliators originated from the Chapter's assault company reserves, who specialized in boarding actions. With those two things combined, I always found it rather odd that the Retaliators had void-hardened armour but still only carried basic combat shields. 

I knew I didn't want basic combat shields, so I had to decide on something that worked more to what I felt appropriate. I originally wanted to use the old Forgeworld Boarding Shields that had been released during the Badab War, but two things were bugging me about that.

1. I needed it to be on the pistol arm so the sword arm could move freely, thus the gun slot for a bolter would be utterly useless

2. The boarding shields were overly expensive and just a hair too small for my taste.

Fortunately.... Necromunda came in clutch to save the day this time. 

qTcHpCN.jpg

I've also tried to recently up my photography game, so I hope I'll be able to provide you fine gents with better quality pics of my models in the futre.

Let me know what you guys think! This'll be the first of a full squad that I'll eventually build up.