WW2 themed IG, Montgomery 101st

greatcrusade08

Hi guys

Been absent from the forum for a while, whilst exploring other games systems. figured id post up my newest project.

Its bascially a WW2 themed "legal" IG army. 

*legal as in codex playable and at GW events if i wanted, so all parts GW (not sure how the plasticard content will work out though)

most of these are WIP pics, i still havent written an army list either.

If anyone has any cool ideas that could work, please feel free to add to the discussion.

IbaaoUc.jpeg

YCgHhvi.jpeg

ZjPD2CI.jpeg

gEsKRtp.jpeg

hlYnxXZ.jpeg

r6vm8HZ.jpeg

qMc6FeU.jpeg

ZploNQu.jpeg

Edited by greatcrusade08

Welcome back :) The conversion work is great, I don't think there will be any problems as it's all very clearly core GW models :tu: I expect rivet hell will drive you mad after a while, but they'll definitely be worth it in the end ;) Is there a particular WWII aspect you're going for or more general? I'm getting Africa vibes from your WIPs! Will you be sticking to beret heads exclusively?

Keep us updated on your progress, I'm keen to see this coming along :D

*legal as in codex playable and at GW events if i wanted, so all parts GW (not sure how the plasticard content will work out though)

Plasticard & other raw material is ok for Games Workshop event, like Warhammer World.  With converted models, Warhammer World just ask that you email them some photos to check that it all ok.

Hope this help out.

Plasticard & other raw material is ok for Games Workshop event, like Warhammer World.  With converted models, Warhammer World just ask that you email them some photos to check that it all ok.

Hope this help out.

thats great thank you

Welcome back :smile.: The conversion work is great, I don't think there will be any problems as it's all very clearly core GW models :thumbsup: I expect rivet hell will drive you mad after a while, but they'll definitely be worth it in the end :wink: Is there a particular WWII aspect you're going for or more general? I'm getting Africa vibes from your WIPs! Will you be sticking to beret heads exclusively?

Keep us updated on your progress, I'm keen to see this coming along 

I wasnt going for any one aspect of WW2, Originally it was german. With tanks being based loosely off panzers (using basilisk as a base to be lower to the ground than lerman russes), however when i started the troops, i wanted to do conversions which were noticeable so went with berets, which are not very german IMO. But the trickiest conversions were the guns.

the officers definitely look german 

Edited by greatcrusade08

Nothing wrong with mixing it up, lets you have your cake and eat it too :wink: Not like the Guard don't already have lots of different influences :tongue.:

too true, but having done themes alot, i know you can take them too far, sometimes its good to be more loose with the self imposed rules

Excellent work on the converted models. May I presume the Tiger tank lookalike with the Chimera's tracks, counts as a Leman Russ? Will you mount heavy bolters on the turret sides, to count as sponson-mounted weapons?

Thank you and yes counts as Russ, i used a basilisk body/tracks for the base. 

Im not going to side sponson them, as i want to keep them theme as much as possible

• 10 months later...

Hey guys

Been a weird year, unfortunately my job got busier as a result of the coof, so my hobby was on the back burner all year.

Am wanting to get back into 40k in a big way, aswell as my phobos army i want to continue with guard too.

The hosting site i used is dodgy so i had to redo the pics in the OP, i have a painted mini

Otwrtgd.jpeg

Its WW2 themed, so every weapon is going to be solid shell, flamers, grenades etc.

I have been getting the bug alot recently, having watched mordian glory on the tube, i do want to try an all infantry army, but wont be limiting weapons for that (that would be insane)

Edited by greatcrusade08

Hey guys

Been a weird year, unfortunately my job got busier as a result of the coof, so my hobby was on the back burner all year.

Am wanting to get back into 40k in a big way, aswell as my phobos army i want to continue with guard too.

The hosting site i used is dodgy so i had to redo the pics in the OP, i have a painted mini

Otwrtgd.jpeg

Its WW2 themed, so every weapon is going to be solid shell, flamers, grenades etc.

I have been getting the bug alot recently, having watched mordian glory on the tube, i do want to try an all infantry army, but wont be limiting weapons for that (that would be insane)

That's got a Howling Commandos (Captain America: The First Avenger) vibe to it. Intended or no, nicely done!

I know it’s an old film but to me he screams Sean Connery in “A Bridge too far”

Loving your bikers too.

Good luck with your progress.

Connery, didn't have a stache in that movie. The Beach Master, did I don't remember the actors name at the moment.

A small update today, managed to create a missile launcher team from the leftover kit from the mortars using some spare bodies.

Does anyone know if its best to have them on separate 25mm or should i stick with the larger rounds?

BRUi0YF.jpg

e39fYJT.jpg

Edited by greatcrusade08

Tbh I think the larger rounds are silly when it comes to placement on buildings. Could make a bigger base with 'slots' that the 25mil bases fit into, kinda like the FW Primarch display bases.

Hold on, I just noticed your kinda local... When this pandemic buggers off I challenge you, Space Germans vs Space Brits... 

Oh absolutely, i know a few 40k gamers in Norfolk, would be amazing to patch together some games when the coof does a hoof.

the scenic base idea has some legs, i kinda like the bigger bases for heavy weapons teams, but for placement in infantry units i like the idea of 25s

Hold on, I just noticed your kinda local... When this pandemic buggers off I challenge you, Space Germans vs Space Brits... 

Oh absolutely, i know a few 40k gamers in Norfolk, would be amazing to patch together some games when the coof does a hoof.

the scenic base idea has some legs, i kinda like the bigger bases for heavy weapons teams, but for placement in infantry units i like the idea of 25s

Its a lot of faffing about, but worth it in the end. Im currently in a hostel so space for a games table is non existent but when I get out Ill be working on a cityfight board (think Stalingrad/Dresden level of messed up), and I cant imagine a heavy weapons team fitting through a door frame let alone squeezing down a tight alleyway blocked with rubble... 

I know a few other B&C gamers in the area, M@l!ce or whatever his username is is a real world friend of mine that I talk to often, and my Ex WarAndChaos, but she is more of a 'I like the lore and painting not a fan of gaming' kinda person, but she owes mea few favours so Ill make her play 40 instead of feeding me or buying me Red Bull... So hopefully when Nurgle sods off I can get you a few games in if your ever in this :cusshole of a town... 

I know a few other B&C gamers in the area, M@l!ce or whatever his username is is a real world friend of mine that I talk to often, and my Ex WarAndChaos, but she is more of a 'I like the lore and painting not a fan of gaming' kinda person, but she owes mea few favours so Ill make her play 40 instead of feeding me or buying me Red Bull... So hopefully when Nurgle sods off I can get you a few games in if your ever in this :cusshole of a town... 

sounds good to me, i have my own ruined city games table set up in my man cave, built it during lockdown 1.0, havent used it yet

sounds good to me, i have my own ruined city games table set up in my man cave, built it during lockdown 1.0, havent used it yet

Ooooh got any pictures of the table?? 

a6psMnG.jpg

This is my board currently, is usable as is, but i want to do more, get some sandbag emplacements, ammo and fuel dumps etc, a couple more industrial buildings, cram it a bit more with terrain

NHGY2EW.jpg

jHLRJzm.jpg

some more WIP, currently awaiting more heads

Edited by greatcrusade08