When our PA arrives

Trollbeard

These rules are very cool imo, I hope the rest of them follow the same trend of a good mix of narrative themes and strength for us. I do think a lot of the responses so far are looking through the lens of 8th which I think that's now the wrong way to be looking at the game.

We know that you're able to put units into strategic reserves to come on from a board edge, this is great for a PM mob, Pox walkers and potentially even Morty if the strategem is applicable to him.

Terrain is changing, they've said time and time again that it'll be a boost to combat armies and vehicles, this is great as it's more ways to get our troops and transports up the board.

Vehicles are changing so that they can still shoot even in combat (unless the weapon has the Blast keyword), this is great for the PBC, helbrute and blightcrawlers. The PBC can't just be touched and forced out of the game for a turn or more. No heavy penalities for vehicles doesn't effect us too much but again the PBC gets a boost here.

CP changes are also great for us, we can take whatever we want and aren't forced to take the bare minimum for troops

Big boosts to our melee options both through 9th ed changes and the strat giving additional attacks (this makes a tallyman, Arch Contaminator WLT and Blades of Purtrification power really, really tasty)

I think we're in for a lot of re-learning and some tricks but I'm really looking forward to it and I think DG will still be my favourite army by far

Yeah but you need to compare that to other armies. Loyalist, who are arguably way better then chaos or DG at the moment, are getting new melee marines and vehicles too. So all the small bonuses we are getting going into 9th they are getting as well, on top of their mono bonuses we don't get. It's not changing the scale. Alot of our PA is still tied to Detatchments, which sucks going into 9th, because you have to pay for each Detatchment from the sounds of it.

DG will always be my favorite but that doesn't mean they will be any good.

I can see where you're coming from here and I do get your point but you're still measuring from 8th metrics. I won't deny that DG are one of the weaker codexes, mostly thanks to the fact that it's now the oldest codex in the game (coming up on 3 years old). Most Space Marine chapters are great at shooting and can hold their own in combat but have very little in the way of decent psychic presence (although this depends on their build) and have little to no tools against Mortal Wounds. We have one of the highest mortal wound outputs of any codex (only rivalled by TS and GK) as well as having some of the most resilient base infantry in the game.

We've yet to see points increases, intercessors up 3 points bodes well IMO, I don't think (and hope) that most of our stuff isn't increased as much.

I'm hopeful that a new edition will change a lot for us

Forgive me brothers. I’m just not seeing it. I know the synergy with the grenade dude and stratagem to all throw a grenade. But I don’t see how Killy it is compared to masses bolters/blight launchers.

Can you give me some real unlife anecdotal examples of what you have brought low with a blight grenade barrage?

I have used it exactly twice to amazing effect...but out of about 50 games lol.

1st time my opponent completley forgot about the strat and i blew up and leviathan dreadnought.

2nd time my oppnent didnt realise what it could do and it killed a decimator and a disco lord.

However it was extremely hard to pull off, the 6" range will help but right now i am seeing it as the only viable strat.

Hopefully there are a lot more rules changes/updates. What i have seen does not address the fundamental issue with DG, being slow, not very killy and not actually that resiliant.

Plague marines need 2wounds minimum

Also out elite slot is soo over occupied, not much of an issue now but will hurt a lot in 9th. Things like the blightspawn etc should be unit upgrades at a massive points reduction, and possibly have their rules combined

Also keep in mind that rules in 9th can change what’s good and what’s bad. For example grenades are now blast weapons. This means that a small 5 man unit can chuck 30 str 3 nades at a unit of 11 or more models. That is just the weakest example as well. Nades have a lot of combo potential(sure some of those combos are hard to pull off) and if the stares align could have upwards to 60-70 str 4 nades.

Grenades should be assault weapons. Hopefully in 9th the weapon types will be reworked and in that case our army will definilty have a flavor on its own with durable mad grenadiers running up the fields with the buff characters that goes well with it.

Also keep in mind that rules in 9th can change what’s good and what’s bad. For example grenades are now blast weapons. This means that a small 5 man unit can chuck 30 str 3 nades at a unit of 11 or more models. That is just the weakest example as well. Nades have a lot of combo potential(sure some of those combos are hard to pull off) and if the stares align could have upwards to 60-70 str 4 nades.

Woooooah. Did not see that connection!

Looking forward to playing catch with some hormigants now

With grenades getting blast, I can definitely see the heavy blight launcher on the Bloat drone getting blast, which would a huge boost for it (swarms of primaris look particularly tasty here).

On grenades, the amount of damage potential we have with a few CP and grenades now is crazy. Imo it's not even if the stars align, there's a high chance of this happening with the new outflanking strats to keep plague marines safe.

With up to 2 units of poxwalkers being able to deep strike and (assumably) being able to outflank up to 2 units with the new core strats, we can mitigate a lot of the slowness of the army. I'm really looking forward to seeing the new stuff in the PA book

The heavy blight launcher is assault 6... It won't get (or need) blast. It's only things with d6 and d3 shots.

And grenades will be better in bigger groups, which is counter productive towards the new blast mechanics. 1W T5 5+++ still folds like paper in this game of heavy shooting.

Poxwalkers will be able to deep strike but have to far from edges and other units. Unless we get a charge improvement strat, they will still be able to be dodged and kited with relative ease just like our two kinds of terminators.

I pray to nurgle they get a charge strat.

Yeah not overly impressed if that's the best bit of our PA. And with terrain rules appearing (sorry Morty still no cover) I'm a little nervous for 9th.

Yeah...

Here's hoping his plague company gives him specifically a strat or rule something like Ghaz/Exalted Demon "max dmg a turn" stuff. Maybe even a 3 or 4+ FNP?

Or maybe even a Deathshroud like rule for any "Morty's plague company" units within 3" of him or something like that.

I feel like they can't ignore just how bad he is, with all the "playtesting extensively" they've claimed for 9th. Especially with how they've claimed everything PA is made for 9th.

I'm definitely in the many-many-many grains of salt camp here with them overlooking his absurd fragility, but we'll see.

I built the terrain for my homes to completely block LOS to Morty and Knights. It has worked wonders in 8th to keep the games from being one army shot off the table Morty or no Morty because it lets both armies hide larger models behind terrain. From what I've read and been told in 9th if the terrain still blocks LOS then models like Morty are still safe from being shot. 

That being said I hope they increase Morty's survival chances. He should be T8 as he is acknowledge in the lore as the toughest primarch before his transformation. He should have the rule the Ork gets about only losing certain amount of wounds each phase. 

I built the terrain for my homes to completely block LOS to Morty and Knights. It has worked wonders in 8th to keep the games from being one army shot off the table Morty or no Morty because it lets both armies hide larger models behind terrain. From what I've read and been told in 9th if the terrain still blocks LOS then models like Morty are still safe from being shot. 

That being said I hope they increase Morty's survival chances. He should be T8 as he is acknowledge in the lore as the toughest primarch before his transformation. He should have the rule the Ork gets about only losing certain amount of wounds each phase. 

I think T9, didn't he take a siege weapon to the chest and shrug it off before he was turned?

I think T9, didn't he take a siege weapon to the chest and shrug it off before he was turned?

Yes. I think T9 might be too much but T8 is where he should be. He is way, way too easy to kill in 8th edition.

I'm at work killing time, and I noticed Thousand Sons sorcerers (not exalted, just vanilla but in their codex) get a 5++ invuln save from Favour of Tzeentch and has access to inferno bolt and warpflame pistols but not combi weapons (Thousand Sons weapons that basic CSM sorcs cannot use). Same points and name but technically different datasheet, rules and wargear options. Why can't death guard Sorcs and Lord's get DR again? Seems awfully silly to me... I'm still hoping for a strat to give a codex helbrute, Pred or Land raider DR.

Looking at the previews for 9th and PA spider book so far it looks like an msu meta for marines. Why take a 6 man unit when it's a disadvantage against blast?

The terrain rules so far give nothing to help Morty or 18 wound models survive in fact they are in a worse spot in some ways because other units can see and shoot them over intervening terrain but you cannot return fire without moving around or over the terrain. There are going to be very few places or events with terrain tall enough to shield Morty let's just hope there is something else coming to improve his survivability.

He was one shotted T1 live on stream at LVO early in 8th so GW's knee jerk reaction was to restrict deep strike T1 instead of looking at why a lot of big models fold like wet paper because they have no access to a decent inv save or a damage limitation per phase like Ghaz. It was hilariously funny listening to the GW channel explaining how the BA player was in serious trouble against Morty because he was such a beast! As a fellow DG player I had a pretty good idea if the DG player didn't get T1 Morty was dead. Morty died without doing a single thing because the BA player got the drop. 3 years later it's still the same. Come on GW fix this I love Mortys model but he deserves better than being a shelf queen.

Yes I have the vast majority of my marines in squads of 5.  Only thing I will run in bulk will be poxwalkers cause I play to fluff and fancy bringing them out of the ground in front of the enemy (just for the fun of it - no idea if it will actually be any good lol).

I think Morty will sit on my shelf again all through 9th.  Lets face it, GW have made their money back on the model so no need to give him decent rules now (oh I am so cynical at times).

All Death Guard rules leaked in German.

Looking pretty fun, I like the fact that there's plenty of upgrade stratagems for the whole battle like giving Disgustingly Resilient to any unit (1 CP for 12 or less wounds, 2 CP for above) or 1 CP to give Lord of Contagion the reroll 1's aura.

Finally, my dreadnoughts don't have to weep in shame for being less sturdy than the terminators next to them :biggrin.:

I'll have to check it out. But those all sound like great things! Sucks we have to spend CP on stuff that should be baked in, but can't have your cake AND eat it I suppose. I wonder if giving a LoC reroll ones also works on Typhus. He has the keyword but he's a character.

EDIT: well I don't have a Facebook account so I guess I cant check it haha.

Edited by Putrid Choir