Prot does the Scars

Prot

Are you going to take the MW mines for your Incursors ?

I do take one for fun. I don't know if I'd use it competitively, but it's fun to plop one on an objective marker. lol

Excellent work on the Khan.

Thank you. He's pretty underrated imho. Great sculpt, really good, subtle rules.And I'm very happy he's in standard primaris armour and not some Gravis.

Edited by Prot

It's still frustrating neither the vanilla or the Primaris Khan can fit on a Space Marine bike or jetbike. What was the point of the Scars' "Born On the Saddle" Chapter tactic, if its Special Characters can't use it?

I agree but I really do think with the leaks we saw of the Primaris skimmers, we are simply waiting on that phase of Primaris Jetbikes. Honestly I can't see it not happening. It's just a matter of time. 

In my case it gives me a chance to play catch up. I've been assembling as much as I can from scratch for this army, and it's a lot. A lot of money, and time. But I understand if you've been playing scars for a while you're probably wanting that release now. :)

That’s pretty much what I do with one of my forward infiltrating Incursors.... they advance and drop the mine over the marker and keep going.  It’s so funny the psychological effect it has on people. It’s really not that potent... I guess against a Knight army it’s a decent return on investment. Lol

Finally a proper hobby update!

Here is my first squad of Incursors. Again it's been a really fun and different style for me.

gallery_2760_16235_94195.jpg

And here is a White Scars Phobos Lt. to go with them.

gallery_2760_16235_33022.jpg

gallery_2760_16235_22201.jpg

Once again my goal here is to get this army playable ASAP.

Right now I have a mess of models that I ordered the week that GW closed their stores down. So I'm sitting on a mini mountain of plastic trying to get 2K done from scratch. Ouch.

I have been getting regular games in still and am enjoying the very unique playstyle this kind of army is giving me.

I think the hobby side has been refreshing. I prefer the battle worn look for my dudes, whereas my Ultra's always kind of looked like they just stepped out of the factory. Not that there's anything wrong about that but when you've painted as many armies as I have, this is a refreshing change of pace.

Technique wise I feel I found what I need in a weird place.... GW's Wraithbone Primer for their Contrast paints provides a very slight 'egg shell' or light beige base. But more importantly it disperses the combination of black and brown Army painter washes I'm using. Much better than on pure "normal" primer.

Then I go in after with a zenithal white highlight with the airbrush, then get in and drity the model up with some oils, and a sponge chipping, which is touched up manually with brushwork. Then I can get in and finish all the details on the armour, guns, skin, whatever else.

I hope I can make this work on the table top. So far it's been touch and go.

I have a few games scheduled this week. I work in technology so my work is flexible at this time. I normally don't know who I'm playing before hand but this week it looks like: Death Guard, and Blood Angels.

Blood Angels might be a nightmare match up for me. I think they'll hit a lot harder than me until T3. Interesting match up for sure.

Thanks for checking it out.

Nice progress man! Nice to see! Im having a game vs Death Guard next weekend, we were suppost to play This weekend but postboned it since theres a good risk i attracted covid-19.. a rather mild variant but still coughing and pressure over the chest.

But Blood angels is a lot harder matchup than deathguard, Blood angels fast and hard hitting - good luck!

Thanks!

Yea I'm worried about the Blood Angels. I'm used to playing them with my Thousand Sons, but this army doesn't shoot terribly well OR have all that psychic damage for me to rely on. 

I wanted to build a fast, infantry heavy list... keeping with the spirit of the White Scars. However most of that idea plays right into the hands of a deadly Blood Angels army.

I have asked a few friends who have played against my Scars AND the Blood Angels how they think the two armies compare, and they seem to think my army hits harder across the board in Close combat, but the single characters are more potent with BA. 

I think keeping his characters at bay will be the challenge. They are all incredibly potent, and I don't have the massed firepower to lean on. 

Thanks!

Yea I'm worried about the Blood Angels. I'm used to playing them with my Thousand Sons, but this army doesn't shoot terribly well OR have all that psychic damage for me to rely on.

I wanted to build a fast, infantry heavy list... keeping with the spirit of the White Scars. However most of that idea plays right into the hands of a deadly Blood Angels army.

I have asked a few friends who have played against my Scars AND the Blood Angels how they think the two armies compare, and they seem to think my army hits harder across the board in Close combat, but the single characters are more potent with BA.

I think keeping his characters at bay will be the challenge. They are all incredibly potent, and I don't have the massed firepower to lean on.

Add some eliminators and sniper scouts, Im going to do that i think! Just to pick off characters

Pro-tip against Blood Angels: DON'T try to do "fall back and charge again" shenanigans. It only serves to trigger their +1 to wound and, turn 3+, +1A. :sweat:

Which army hits harder entirely depends on the list though. There are competetive lists with 3x8 Sanguinary Guard and 10-15 Death Company, plus all the characters. It's more difficult to play but definitely hits harder than White Scars lists.

Edited by Panzer

Add some eliminators and sniper scouts, Im going to do that i think! Just to pick off characters

I had thought about that. I have the models and am trying to integrate the three Eliminators I own from the old Vanguard box set. I have a dual battalion I like and I have one set of Sniper scouts in it, and would like to add eliminators but right now the list is packed. I'm using a few units which could be replaceable but I'm reluctant...

Repulsor (encirclement)

Redemptor

Being the two biggies. I have 2 new Impulsors I'd like to bring in instead. The repulsor is my only source of anti tank shooting though. 

Pro-tip against Blood Angels: DON'T try to do "fall back and charge again" shenanigans. It only serves to trigger their +1 to wound and, turn 3+, +1A. :sweat:

Which army hits harder entirely depends on the list though. There are competetive lists with 3x8 Sanguinary Guard and 10-15 Death Company, plus all the characters. It's more difficult to play but definitely hits harder than White Scars lists.

That is an excellent point. I'm used to being able to withdraw, but unless I can shoot down that squad, you're right it certainly isn't a great idea to charge back in.... unless I can be certain to outright kill the squad and prevent an interrupt, or a fight from death strat. 

I agree they hit harder. I've played against them enough to have experiences what those characters do, but I do believe they rely very heavily on those characters. The guy I play often uses Libby Dread/Sanguinous/2 x Banner dudes, Smash Capt. Chief Apothecary for 5++ feel no pain rolls... insane amount of characters.

When i think about it i would probably use a shooty scars list vs Blood angels and use the speed of the scars to avoid combat and shoot instead, lots of Assault weapons. And only charge When Im confident over the odds

I agree, but I am trying to make an all comers list. It is only this global situation we have going which is preventing me from playing my games a few times a week at local gatherings which are random match ups. I miss it because I can't even sub-consciously plan for a match up. lol

I am somewhat limited by my collection of models at this point too. I'm very much invested in Incursors, Infiltrators, Scouts, and a hammer toting, Assault Bolter Intercessor squad. The points add up quick. 

I do think the White Scars Chappy with 2 litany casts is essential, especially for my list.

But yea, in a fishbowl scenario, this is one match up I'd be better with a ton of Thunder Fires, and perhaps Grav Cents.

That is an excellent point. I'm used to being able to withdraw, but unless I can shoot down that squad, you're right it certainly isn't a great idea to charge back in.... unless I can be certain to outright kill the squad and prevent an interrupt, or a fight from death strat. 

I agree they hit harder. I've played against them enough to have experiences what those characters do, but I do believe they rely very heavily on those characters. The guy I play often uses Libby Dread/Sanguinous/2 x Banner dudes, Smash Capt. Chief Apothecary for 5++ feel no pain rolls... insane amount of characters.

Libby Dread, Sanguinor, Ancient and Sanguinary Priest are definitely good picks. Smash Captains are still widely used but they really aren't as much of a must-pick as they used to be anymore. BAs have more than enough beatstick characters and good melee units and the Smash Captain is a CP grave you'd want to avoid if possible.

A Chief Apothecary doesn't exist for Blood Angels unless you mean Corbulo. However he doesn't grant any 5+++ rolls. You are probably thinking of an Ancient carrying the Standard of Sacrifice relic. Sanguinary Priests grant a +1S aura instead which is really strong in itself and especially together with the +1 to-wound from the Red Thirst.

Another character you really want to look out for is Astorath. Usually with Mantra of Strength and the Canticles of Hate. With the Mantra of Strength he becomes quite the beatstick as well with 6 S7 AP-3 D1d3+1 attacks on the charge before the assault doctrine or any further buffs. His Mass of Doom once-per-game ability is quite good too.

I'd say Sanguinary Priest (+1S aura), Astorath (Cnatlices of Hate and beatstick) and the Sanguinor (+1A aura and beatstick) should probably be your priority targets if you bring sniper units. A Smash Captain is a slightly bigger beatstick but his aura is not nearly as important to remove. Not to mention that a Smash Captain usually also brings a 3++ while the others only have a 4++ if at all.

Technique wise I feel I found what I need in a weird place.... GW's Wraithbone Primer for their Contrast paints provides a very slight 'egg shell' or light beige base. But more importantly it disperses the combination of black and brown Army painter washes I'm using. Much better than on pure "normal" primer.

Then I go in after with a zenithal white highlight with the airbrush, then get in and drity the model up with some oils, and a sponge chipping, which is touched up manually with brushwork. Then I can get in and finish all the details on the armour, guns, skin, whatever else.

Nice job. The battle wear and tear pops on the figs while managing to not be over the top. It helps break up the white visually; and that may be needed with white more so than your other more colorful armies. And your OSL is spot on as usual.

Do you happen to have stage by stage pictures to show how the technique progresses?

Oh :censored: dude.. your hobby skills are no joke.  

What are you doing to highlight the black gun casings and knife cases?  

Ive been trying to highlight black but it never seems to look good.  Either really muted or some stupid Tron theme.  

Thank you very much.

So here's the trick to that. It's super easy to make grey highlights look way too stark. Take all the guess work out of it and either get a wet pallet or use GW's painting paper pad. It's a thick, glossy paper that doesn't absorb the paint.

What you do is take dab of black, a dab of the lightest grey you think you would use at the end. Now between those two dabs, put a drop or two of water. Use a brush or toothpick, and in a circular motion start dragging some grey  into the black.... keep doing it until part of the grey starts to look dark enough to become your first highlight!

Don't combine all the paint and water together! Just do a bit at a time, and always have the most extreme colour a true black, and the most extreme grey untouched as well. This way you have just created the full spectrum you need of black-to dark grey-to grey - to light grey. 

It takes a while to get the hang of it, but the real simple magic here is this works for any highlighting spectrum of colour you need and the more you do it, the more you'll find ways to adapt it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Update time: I've done a lot of work. I've been working from home and that's when I really launched this project. I hope to do some batreps shortly, but for now here is my nearly completed Redemptor:

Redemptor-1-Front.jpg?w=633&ssl=1

Now here is the bonus part. I've been asked more times than I can count how do I get my armies painted and assembled in a decent amount of time.

Well I've taken the time to break this down entirely on my blog and squashed it down into one, hopefully digestible, post.

https://prot40k.blog/2020/04/12/how-to-assemble-and-paint-an-army-in-a-month-or-2-quarantine-not-included/

Really nice dreads and blog! If i may ask, which washes do you use? I’m using dark tone, lahman medium and flow improved as my pinwash. I used oil washes before but my wife is asthmatic so skipped that cause of the odours and health hazards those things may cause.

If I understand your process it’s something like this: prime wraithbone, all over wash of 2 of armypainters wash, airbrush first layer then second layer of different shades of white?

I base black, then mechanics standard grey primer, then airbrush ulthuan grey zenital and last airbrush dead white -> gloss varnish -> pinwash 1:1 darktone:lahman medium -> decals -> weathering -> Matt varnish

Your method may be faster and I’m all about painting effective since my hobby time usually is limited cause of children, work etc.

If I understand your process it’s something like this: prime wraithbone, all over wash of 2 of armypainters wash, airbrush first layer then second layer of different shades of white?

I base black, then mechanics standard grey primer, then airbrush ulthuan grey zenital and last airbrush dead white -> gloss varnish -> pinwash 1:1 darktone:lahman medium -> decals -> weathering -> Matt varnish

Thank you very much. Sorry I missed responding to this earlier...

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. My process is really that simple:

- Wraithbone (because it seems to have a better consistency for taking washes. Some base colours force you to hit them with a shiny varnish after to make for better dispersion of washes, but this Wraithbone discovery I've had has helped a lot.)

- I wash all over with a slightly diluted mix of Army Painter's black wash (65%) and Brown wash (35%). I dilute with their dilution 'mixer', and mostly even the airbrush Flow Improver works great.

- After making sure 'pooling' of the washes is minimized, I think it's a feeling out process. I use a bone/white airbrush mix for zenithal highlights and also brightening panels that have a lot of wash. Then the final application with the airbrush is a lot more white in it. A lot of my White Scars look white, until you hold an actual white model beside them. Then you see the gradient a bit more.

- Detail painting, and then the decals, then finally the weathering.

- Weathering is very... flexible. If I want to spend hours with  tweezers and sponging damage, I do a dreadnought. If I'm in a time crunch I'll just hit some scouts with it. Then if time allows there's more scratching with pure white/black paint on a fine brush, then the oils and sometimes the powders are great (The last two are mostly for vehicles).

- Sponging is the catch here. I thought it would be faster, but if the paint is too thin, the sponging streaks. If it's too heavy it blobs on corners, and you have to go back with white and fix it. So it can't be rushed. But I love the effect.

That's about as transparent as I can be. It's really that simple. Practice with different mediums to speed it up, get comfortable with different mediums, and that improves the look and speed at the same time.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Your method may be faster and I’m all about painting effective since my hobby time usually is limited cause of children, work etc.

About the process. Yup, you're 100% right.

Just for complete disclosure; I've painted, and sold dozens of armies. Chaos, Daemons, Deathguard, Ultra (3 times, one of those times was to the MiniWargaming.com studio), Custodes (2 armies), Ulthwé, Alaitoc, Deathwatch, Thousand Sons, are the last ones I can remember.

Some of those had immense work put into them. Some of them did not. I have won painting contests and awards at tournaments (most recently won 2 from GW for Abaddon and Black Legion, and my Black Legion won best painted at an ITC GT).

You know what I learned about all of that? Some people love some of the stuff I hardly consider 'a ton of effort' and some people love stuff I consider myself to have completed with a very strong pace of painting.  

Over the past decade plus, I went from winning "Best Painted" with my first Crimson Fists and realized it's not worth it. I guarantee you the final, agonizing 10% of time it takes you to make an award winning army, can't be seen from the table top.

I learned to rid myself of the burden of slaving over certain aspects of painting and the result is I get armies done. Fun, playable armies that pop from the table top and still get great feedback.

You're right it's all about efficiency and having something YOU like. I don't have kids but my career is pretty demanding, a wife (slightly less demanding!) and you have to figure out how to do this and have fun.

White Scars are a really fun army. I kind of babbled here way too long but I think you have the right idea. :)

(I'm glad you enjoyed the blog too: Fun fact, the most hits I get are on how to pain Custodes, and faces in a reasonable time frame. I think it's because no one has time anymore.)

When you say you're doing your wash all over the model are you doing this with an airbrush?  I'm a little confused as I'm starting to learn to airbrush while also learning to brush a bit better.  Or are you using the airbrush flow improver just to make the paint more fluid?  I'm mostly asking cause my game with washes needs a bit of improvement and I look at the clean paint jobs (and while your models above are not "clean" the controlled mayhem is basically the same thing) of many online and go.....well maybe if I just connect the cables in my brain it'll work out better.