30k Hobby Chat

The Master of Signals looks ace @Cadmus Tyro, that Techmarine works so well for Iron Hands officers. The upgraded autocannons look really cool too, so I'm excited to see how the rest of the Dread develops.

@WAR I agree with @ShotgunFacelift that some additional nodules and techy stuff to bulk out the power pack could look good.

Off to a good start @Cruor Vault, brave to want to paint up so many pods though...

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Pearson73 said:

@WAR I agree with @ShotgunFacelift that some additional nodules and techy

stuff to bulk out the power pack could look good. 

totally agree. I’m gonna have to look for some bits 

Edited by WAR

Sadly, I'm unable to attend (just on the wrong side of the planet) but I love seeing Heresy events taking place.

Good luck and have fun to all who attend and a big "thank you," to Xenith for organising.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:29 PM, Cadmus Tyro said:

Next project coming along, bringing a MKiv into the modern heresy…..

IMG_1458.thumb.jpeg.74c9c0a7fe2d16e6120a025709547b49.jpeg

Oh, I'm so stealing this idea. Lucky me I just got a pair of these off ebay!

Posted (edited)

Just been unboxing the Horus Heresy job lot I acquired for an insane price this week. Everything arrived in a big box, all mixed up.

IMG_3839.thumb.jpeg.54edf35b14c42a9e3ad7a2697fba144b.jpeg

Audit and organisation so far has identified:

30 MK IV plastic marines

2 plastic contemptors (painted)

1 resin contemptor (painted)

10 MK II resin tacticals (painted)

10 MK III resin tacticals

10 MK IV resin tacticals (painted) and bits to make a bunch of other resin MK IVs

Enough Iron Warriors shoulder pads to kit out all of this lot

A cataphractii praetor in FW resin

A legion herald with standard in resin (painted)

A ton of lascannons

A bunch of close combat weapons in resin

A rapier laser destroyer with crew in resin

Garviel Loken (but no Abaddon or base)

And randomly, a bunch of Cadian shotgun veteran bits in resin, some resin ultramarine bits, a handful of Dark Angel bits in metal and the Firstborn Cato Sicarius model in resin.

There are a whole lot of other spare parts as well that I’m sure will make things but I haven’t figured out what yet.

Not bad for all of sixty quid …

So far I’ve organised and built up 1,167 points into full squads:

IMG_3838.thumb.jpeg.e4e142eda577011ed9bb2d54203a5705.jpegIMG_3837.thumb.jpeg.ddf8ae13c91820ae887b5d3c49bba98e.jpeg

This is about half the points in the box, I reckon. First time I’ve had any Forge World stuff. I’m really liking the MKIII models and because they’re chunky they don’t feel too small. The older MK II and IV guys are a little on the diddy side but I’m not complaining.

These guys are a real bonus that I didn’t think I’d be getting this year. Looks like my Raven Guard are getting some opposition from the Iron Warriors :) Between this haul and the other Age of Darkness stuff, I’ve managed to pick up about 4k points of heresy for under £200, so pretty pleased with that.

Edited by TheArtilleryman

On 5/12/2024 at 8:17 PM, Cadmus Tyro said:

MkIV Castreferrum Dreadnought built! 

IMG_1465.thumb.jpeg.3d10bc917f78debf8faf7d0660e24ba6.jpeg

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_1468.thumb.jpeg.58ad2fde4c1746bd6ef05c091e6dba94.jpegIMG_1470.thumb.jpeg.662aa93b2472cba37ff386ba20d9fba5.jpegIMG_1466.thumb.jpeg.7dfc3e86f27bca9e2a5c893b51b71e98.jpegIMG_1469.thumb.jpeg.4aa606604592322f4752719328b73f31.jpegIMG_1467.thumb.jpeg.cf961bed6997bbd93331aa9fb8ef5bb7.jpeg

I don’t think the MkIV needs any work to fit into the Heresy, though the autocannons did look a little dated (and wonky) 

hope you like him…

Cadmus 

I love it so much. That's a really fine model indeed 

This thread is full to the brim of Heresy goodness! Such a level of hobby greatness. I've an Iron Warriors force (no clue on points) and I am undecided on what legion to make a force for next.

I'm going to do a 'stock' check this week on my HH unbuilt pile of shame.

Keep up the great work guys.

Posted (edited)

Talking of the Iron Warriors…

Spent a couple of hours completing the models that had been partially painted by their previous owner. Eyes, guns, parchments and other details. Light highlighting of silver on all the models, painted up the herald’s banner and based them all up. Instant army!

IMG_3852.thumb.jpeg.ca038d798a4227cd2df58062623a2b56.jpeg

These are about the right amount to face off against the Raven Guard force I have painted so far:

IMG_3844.thumb.jpeg.2abe8dc6678d3486d3c0a3ae31781ad2.jpeg

Iron Warriors painted: 917 points

Raven Guard painted: 967 points 

I think I’m going to try and work on these armies simultaneously to keep them as evenly matched as possible. 

26 minutes ago, calgar101 said:

This thread is full to the brim of Heresy goodness! Such a level of hobby greatness. I've an Iron Warriors force (no clue on points) and I am undecided on what legion to make a force for next.

I'm going to do a 'stock' check this week on my HH unbuilt pile of shame.

Keep up the great work guys.

Exciting! Nothing like planning a new army - be sure to share it with us!

16 minutes ago, calgar101 said:

Nice work there. You can't go wrong with dreadnoughts and infantry. 

That is a good way to keep motivated, having 2 rival armies.

Thanks! I had only planned the RG but nabbing that box of Iron Warriors has changed the whole game …

Don't blame you for nabbing those Iron Warriors, you can't pass up a deal like that!

I've yet to get aromatherapy to buying the new HH rule books, been out of work until recently, the joys of the current climate! But I have quite the back log of stuff to build. I have 3 Betrayal at Calth box sets from years ago to build plus a few other bits and bobs. I also bought a small force of FB a few years ago, it was intended to be Emperor's Children I believe.

I've stuff to work on but not sure what legion, I'm torn between Imperial Fists and Ultramarines. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, calgar101 said:

Don't blame you for nabbing those Iron Warriors, you can't pass up a deal like that!

I've yet to get aromatherapy to buying the new HH rule books, been out of work until recently, the joys of the current climate! But I have quite the back log of stuff to build. I have 3 Betrayal at Calth box sets from years ago to build plus a few other bits and bobs. I also bought a small force of FB a few years ago, it was intended to be Emperor's Children I believe.

I've stuff to work on but not sure what legion, I'm torn between Imperial Fists and Ultramarines. 

Ooh well the obvious choice vs your Iron Warriors is the Imperial Fists - that’s one hell of a rivalry right there. Imperial Palace showdown!

Although, I feel like I don’t see many UMs in 30k so it could be cool to see them. Might be just my perception of course but it seems to me from this forum that people go for the other legions more.

Also the great thing about having all those Calth sets is all the extra weapons - you’ll have enough to make some 5-man special and heavy weapon squads as well as the tacticals, so no need to buy the upgrade sprues.

When those Calth sets were purchased the plan was to build a UM force but the boxes got put to one side.

As time went on I built my Iron Warriors  terminator and dreadnought heavy, led by Perturabo and his Iron Circle.

I bought Fafnir Rann and was intending to do a Siege of Terra Fists force led by him. Yellow puts me off mind.

I'm thinking back to Ultramarines, infantry force that I will eventually add Sicarans to for support.

I've also got one each of the following resin tanks; Fellblade, Typhon and Cerebus. I did intend to make a tank heavy Iron Hand/Shattered Legion force.

Posted (edited)

That’s a lot of choices … you could combine either of the first two ideas with the tanks. The third might be a bit too similar to what you have already maybe - more black and silver?

Another option is to do both blue and yellow. With that much infantry available you could run both side by side. I hear yellow is a lot easier now we have contrast paints - there’s even an Imperial Fists Yellow …

It’s funny, I would probably have never chosen Iron Warriors if I hadn’t got this lot, but with that much work already done for me and all those shoulder pads, it now just makes so much sense. Plus, thematically they are very different to Raven Guard so they work well as opposition. It feels like either an Istvaan face-off or perhaps a revenge campaign, fighting to sever the Iron Warriors’ supply lines on the way to Terra…

I know, every time I think about it, a new idea pops into my head! Maybe I'll do a Shattered Legion force so I can cover all the bases? :biggrin:

I will look into painting yellow as I definitely do want an Imperial Fist army based around the Siege of Terra.

Thank you for your input. 

I also found an unbuilt Corax so I guess I will have to do a Raven Guard army too at some point! 

24 minutes ago, calgar101 said:

I know, every time I think about it, a new idea pops into my head! Maybe I'll do a Shattered Legion force so I can cover all the bases? :biggrin:

I will look into painting yellow as I definitely do want an Imperial Fist army based around the Siege of Terra.

Thank you for your input. 

I also found an unbuilt Corax so I guess I will have to do a Raven Guard army too at some point! 

You are braver than me…wanted an Imperial Fist army but don’t want to paint yellow