30k Hobby Chat

@Gore Crow Solid work on the Raptors, the paint job has come out really well! As I said over on Instagram, the use of the upgrade kits works well to make them look like the legion's elite.

@Hungry Nostraman Lizard Really nice work painting that chap, I like the narrative accompaniment too. Disappointing to see you fall in with the Wolves, but you clearly have a knack for it!

Wow, I just went to update my 30K thread and saw I hadn't done anything with it since January

I have been painting, just not so much over the past 10-11 months and quite a bit has changed.

After my Russ model which I gave to my son got totaled, I got a new one.

Since then, I have decided to stop working on Russ for now, and focus on my 2 test models. I want to see if I can do things more consistently, so rather than 1, I have gone for 2

I am trying out a new grey scheme from his howl of yarant tutorial, techniques for faces (Raldoron tutorial) and and on the armour, (pointilism from various tutorials, I have also started dabbling in  oils, or water mixable versions of oils. This is still very much WIP, so I plan to try a few of his leather tutorials, such as from his vindicta series and one of his newer ones for the Lion.

And first time ever using a wet palette

Big shout out to Lil Legends How do I pin or hashtag thingy him to posts?

So far I am enjoying myself

The face was done as per his Raldoron tutorial, the reds are a mish-mash of his howl of Yarrant tutorial and a bit of sunny skin tone, the armour is his tutorial on pointilism.

Was going to try miro-chippping, may even still try it.

Let me know what you think.

wKo8V36.jpg

wO5x3Nd.jpg

y4umtFD.jpg

SfXRDkx.jpg

qhU4W9S.jpg

kLqurM5.jpg

DIO1Fz7.jpg

OqwlUPV.jpg

QfvTvO6.jpg

HJiG52M.jpg

QJxfyI6.jpg

OqwlUPV.jpg

Edited by Dantay VI

just a heads up Dantay the text youve posted is almost invisible (probably copy pasted from somewhere right?) youll need to manually colour it white :smile.: used to happen to me all the time.

ED the pose on the right hand contemptor is great. (damn i love them contemptors posability )

Edited by sarabando

Don't manually color it white, change it to automatic or use the little eraser widget to clear the formatting.

If you color it white, then on mobile or some other format using a different interface than the default desktop one, it won't look right. Normally the text is set to 'default', so it will render a different color depending on the style or theme used.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

I made a post a while ago comparing releases from last year to this year. I can update it now that two further months have passed.

It has annoyed me, has taken 2 months after book 9 to get kits I would think would drop with it, and still no sight of other things shown off over 6 months ago, while new stuff for necro, titanicus, etc. is shown off all the time.

So in 2020, we have had revealed:

3 characters - Lion, Qin Xa and Saul Tarvitz

2 Praetors - Word Bearers PA and Terminator praetors

3 DA kits - interemptors, Cenobium and Companions

1 NL kit - Contekar

1 BA kit - Angel's Tears

3 vehicles - Arquitor bombard variants

2 Upgrades - Umbra boltguns and Tartaros power axes

For a total of 15 so far announced, which would take at least through October I think. Update - now will take through november. Saul, praetors and NL termies yet to be released.

In 2019, there were for Legionnes Astartes - 26 kits:

3 Characters - Sanguinius, Raldoran and Hvarl Redblade

3 BA kits - Dawnbreaker Cohort, Crimson Paladins and Incaendius dreadnought

4 WS kits - Golden Keshig, Golden Keshig Champion, Ebon Keshig, Kyzagan speeder

1 SW kit - Deathsworn

6 Praetors - WS x2, DA x2 and NL x2

3 Contemptor Dreadnoughts - WS, DA, and UM

3 Leviathan Dreadnoughts - WS, DA and NL

2 Vehicles - Sabre tank, Dreadnought drop pod, could count sabre arsenal as more if counting upgrades.

For others:

Mechanicum - total 6:

Moirax (x2)

Moirax upgrades (x2)

Ordinatus Aktaeus

Acastus Knight Asterius

Custodes - total 2:

Ares Gunship

Venatari Squad

Total of 33 kits at least - probably closer to 40 if being as generous as 2020. So November would be 92% of the year, so at the current rate we would be under half the kits this year as in 2019, even when including things like boltguns.

Any rate projections would be skewed from a few months being shut down, but even so, there's a pretty noticeable dip that was occurring even beforehand.

Update - this is now handily pronounced.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

So with England going into another month long lockdown I've actually got a real chance to get some primer on some models.

Also looking over my Master of Signals, what a brilliant, characterful model out of the box. I was considering giving him a Power Weapon (because I feel Officers should have something better than a knife) but I'm at a loss on where to put it without obscuring some other fantastic detail so might just skip it (plus the unit he'll normally be rolling with will be hit pretty early).

Finally made an axe I'm satisfied with for my WOrld Eaters Praetor/Count-As Astorath:

gallery_60230_9650_65626.jpg

Parts list for him is:

-Minotaurs Chaplain helmet.

-Night Raptor body.

-Vanguard Power Axe.

-Corpse Grinder cult cleavers.

-mk.5 jump pack.

-Commander Pteruges.

-Right hand with grenade.

Originally, his axe was the Chaos Executioners handle and two Chaos Terminator Power Axes put together, but I thought it looked a bit too plain for a Paragon Blade.

Painted up this barge for the Sons of Horus today. Rather, I finished it. It's by Soulforge Studio, and it's going to be part of my 1,000 points fleet giveaway, to commemorate me reaching 1k followers on instagram (@251stExpeditionaryFleet), which will then be raffled off in a contest. It's a simple recipe, but I love the colors for the Warmaster's finest on ships.

w3cwSth.jpg?1
D66n6ly.jpg?1
EHK2Nkp.jpg?1
Hp58WHx.jpg?1

Printed on a Elegoo Mars printer. Excellent sculpt from the Soulforge Studio guys. I highly recommend their Patreon.

New lockdown here in the UK so am trying to look on the bright side and think that that means more hobby time. 

Managed to get some World Eater (crusade-era) terminator with cyclone (Fulmentarus?) completed. Working on padding out the Destructors unit next along with some transports for those, plus a Shadowsword that has sat unloved on the paint table for a good few weeks now!

WE_1.jpg

Looking good Pacific81.

Are they 3rd party models? I've never really followed Epic so I'm not too familiar with the models.

Cheers man!

Yes they are from a company called Vanguard Miniatures - 'novan elite' range. They do some really great proxies for most of the 30k range.

https://vanguardminiatures.co.uk/ 

There is also a great new ruleset called Imperius Dominatus - basically made by the guys that created Net Epic (and have been keeping the Space Marine rules going). The rules have just come out and are free to download. The rules are very similar to Space Marine if you remember those, but with some 30k flavour added to them (massive battle companies of hundreds of marines and the like!)

https://imperiusdominatus.org/

Edited by Pacific81

That Battle Barge is glorious, I so want BF:G to make an official return alongside an official BF:H.

MOAR PARTS turned up today, some Combi-Volkites and Plasmas for my Slayer Squads and some Combi-Plasma upgrades for Tartaros (were meant to be Melta but I confused myself and ordered the wrong ones but the odds of losing a Terminator to Plasma isn't *THAT* high, undoubtedly I'll lose the entire Command Squad in one turn now) from Popgoesthemonkey.