30k Hobby Chat

What's a simple shotgun conversion? I'm making the Void Pioneers from the Mournival packet, and want to run them with shotguns. I'm thinking cut off the magazine/mag well and top part of bolters, but if anyone has a better idea, I'm all ears.

I am trying to convert some plastic Mark iii and iv to shotguns for a recon squad. I have seen this done on the internet with the Deathwatch shotguns but I can’t get the bits to line up. Maybe Deathwatch torso is wider? So I am very tempted by the Kromlech set. I think Anvil have sold out / discontinued their xenobane(?) shotguns which would have been great too.

I have also seen scout shotguns used, but that would involve something more clever to replace scout left hand with power-armoured hand. Maybe Necromunda enforcer shotguns would work?

Edited by LameBeard

Why scion bodies? Won’t I have the same problem?

what problem sorry? are voidsmen not humans rather than astartes>?

I think the necromunda palatine enforcers (?) would be good to use as ships armsman also. They have shield options now and cyber doggo's even. 

Why scion bodies? Won’t I have the same problem?

what problem sorry? are voidsmen not humans rather than astartes>?

The Mornival Events legion void pioneer squad are in fact Astartes, still the use of the deathwatch shotguns isn’t a bad shout all you’d have to do is shave of the I of the inquisition. Also I do love the use of the torsos from that kit as an alternative chest piece to the standard mark 3 torsos with all the gubbins on it. 

Finally finished the start of the anti-grav portion of my Emperors Children, Sans bases of course, while I'm happy with how they look in real life it seems my camera likes to make them a lot pinker and shinier than they are in person  

bMHRxvb.jpg

Been a good few days of procurement:

•Sector Imperialis realm of battle board, really wanted one as I loved Cities of Death and fighting in cities is cool.

•Custom BF tray ordered for my Caestus Assault Ram (and a troop tray as my current one isn't quite right for 30K).

•Some FW Tartaros Terminators to make Counsels out of, along with a couple of the NL Tartaros Praetor's right arm to allow stuff like close combat weapon, ranged weapon and standard/narthecium with some cutting.

•More MkIV wolf Shoulder Pads

•4 more Drop Pods already assembled, I hate assembling Drop Pods with a passion (so much so the three I bought partially assembled and the two unassembled are still so, and probably will be until I've painted some infantry).

Was nice to get such a decent bonus for smashing profit budget.

Looking for some advice my friends.

Backstory: years ago I got excited when Betrayal at Calth came out, but I didn't like the plastic cataphractii.  I sold them and got resin ones instead, via several ebay and bits shop opportunitistic buys, and now have just enough for two squads, one for me, and one for my regular opponent.  The plan is:

1 squad of Blood Angels (to stand in as the Ultramarines)

1 squad of Word Bearers (one twin-lightning claw model alreadt built)

I want the squads equipped ideally to be legal in Calth and decent in 30k Zone Mortalis.  So we have 9 models to build and here are the weapon options:

3 pairs lightning claws

Other right: 2 heavy flamers, 4 combi-bolters, maybe one combi-weapon?

Other left: powersword, chainfist, 3xpower axe, 3xpowerfist, maybe a second chainfist hiding somewhere

In Calth, twin-lightning claws are excellent and it's also advantageous to have a 'mixed' squad (ie some with lightning claws and some with ranged weapons). But in ZM the opposite seems to be true: lightning claws don't seem worth the points where everyone wants AP2, and mixed squads seem a bad idea, better to concentrate on close combat or shooting.

Bits stores are now pretty much sold out of resin cataphractii, and although I'd be happy to magnetize arms, Iack of shoulder pads makes this difficult.

The decision for you to advise on: load all the lightning claws into the Word Bearers? Or make it at least 'fair' and split the lightning claws 2 per squad? Or even 1 vs. 3?

TL;DR: what to do with lightning claws and cataphractii.

The new flying stands introduced for 8th are imo the biggest pain ever. They put them on the dawn guard too and it just makes them look super out of place. They don't necessarily look bad, but it looks odd with stuff that was supposed to be a booster assisted jump instead of flying. That coupled with how frustrating it was to get stuff to stick makes them a no for me.

I found brass rod and pinning to be far better if you absolutely need the elevation for wysiwyg. But on the 30k front, nothing does; boosting the raptors height is a pure disadvantage and not how the raptors come placed.

I quite like the new curvy flying stands but the feedback on them is almost universally negative regarding getting them to actually stick.

I just used bits of resin to make broken pillars and rubble to lift my Night Raptors off the ground. They look so much more natural when you do it.

Gloriana, Nightfall. Flagship of the Eighth Legion and their Primarch, Konrad Curze. 

I finished this massive thing from Soulforge Studio (go sign up to their Patreon!) and holy-cows. I cannot wait to field it in some Battlefleet:Heresy. 

ZQJzuBt.jpg?1