30k Hobby Chat

I must've lost my mind.

Ended up bidding and paying over the odds for "20" (pictures only show 10 however) paid of MkIII "Heavy Support" arms.

I've got ten OOP Multi-Meltas as I prefer the look but have no arms for them and they're no longer available.

Sympathy “like”

Worst thing is I'm 99% sure the arms are recast as well and I'm not a fan of recast but as FW don't make the squads anymore, sadface.

I get why they did it but in my mind the original Heavy Weapons sets they released alongside the Squads are superior.

Guys I kind of want to try out painting nmm on my unit sgzs sword. But then again I am unsure if that wouldnt be out of place in the heresy setting.

I get your point but seriously: if they dont leave you another choice than buying recast....

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

Can someone who's in possession of the Night Lords leviathan tell me whether the dead guy on its torso is a separate bit or not?

Guys I kind of want to try out painting nmm on my unit sgzs sword. But then again I am unsure if that wouldnt be out of place in the heresy setting.

I don't see why nmm would necessarily be out of place. Paint a test sword and see how you like it, or ask for feedback!

Edited by AHorriblePerson

Worst thing is I'm 99% sure the arms are recast as well and I'm not a fan of recast but as FW don't make the squads anymore, sadface.

I get why they did it but in my mind the original Heavy Weapons sets they released alongside the Squads are superior.

More sympathy. I also try not to buy recasts. Are you talking about the shoulder-mounted heavy weapons? More of a Rogue Trader feel? Maybe there would be 3rd party arms available?

Can someone who's in possession of the Night Lords leviathan tell me whether the dead guy on its torso is a separate bit or not?

I don't own it, but I've seen enough of the model to tell you the dead Marine is a separate bit.

Regarding recasts: If the product isn't available anymore, and has been gone for six months, it's fair game by my opinion, as they're clearly not intending on returning it. :sweat:

In regards to my 30k hobbying, I've gotten 4 Plasma Gun marines mostly ready for a Plasma Support Squad (all in Mark III armour) as well as two Bolter Tacticals for a Mark III squad ready for priming.

I don't own it, but I've seen enough of the model to tell you the dead Marine is a separate bit.

Ah, that's grand; might go ahead and use it for another project then. Thanks!

On another note, I've posted my intended first list in the appropriate subforum - thoughts and criticism are appreciated!

Completed my current tac squad yesterday and managed to build the next one this morning. Also got some mail from an obscure paint and scale modelling retailer in berlin, but they were selling what I wanted: Figopedia Pt 1.

I'm pretty stoked with how the squad came out, but I kinda dislike the OSL I did on the plasma guns. I thinks I'll have to redo that and play with PSI and dilution a bit, to get a more convincing look. My paint was hitting the model way to wet and then spiderwebbing over it like crazy so its not much of a spotty effect.

https://imgur.com/a/E8RqsND

I'll be priming and starting on the yellows for my next tac squad tomorrow and then its three days of getting rid of overtime so three days of painting before returning to work for a short two days on thursday.

Solid work on the Tac squad @Marshal Vespasian, troops are the backbone of any force, so they're an important one to get right. The glow on the power sword is a nice touch.

That Arcus is looking sweet.

I'm thinking ahead to when I start getting some armour (building towards OA at the minute but would like to expand to being able to cover all available RoW) and I'm actually struggling over the aesthetics of Deimos vs Mars pattern.

I think I prefer the angles of Mars pattern Predator turrets but Deimos Rhinos and Vindicators. I guess I'm going to end up with a mix which makes things more visually interesting.

Aztek: great work I love all the checkers. And as a templar player it should come as now surprise, that I absolutely love the black/red scheme and knightly aesthetics.

Day 1 of 3 of staying home due to overtime. Got the yellow and decals down on the next ten tacticals. Was gonna build the bases tomorrow and then realized that I dont have enough 32mm bases anymore. So should I finish these before new bases arrive I'll do some tanks. There is three already build mars pattern vindicators floating around my hobby area. I much prefer the deimos look but I got them almost for free so you know... Gift horse.

Just nabbed a couple of old school Space Wolf Scout Sergeants to use in my Recon Squads (just missing the mohawk and chainsword one now, will wait for a better price). I think the metal Scout minis look so much better than the current plastics so will be putting some of them into my roster, got two metal Wolf shotgun scouts a month or two ago and didn't even realise they'd ever existed until then (was only aware of Sergeants, Plasma Gunner, Meltagun, axe and swords including a couple with plasma pistols for Space Wolf specific scuplts).

May or may not also end up using Enforcer models as stand in Recon Marines in carapace if I end up doing LOTS of them.

So there is a bunch of resin 3d printers popping up in my gaming group. Do you guys have some good ideas for Bits to get printed? I am already getting a bunch of breacher shields

P.s. used my leave for overtime to paint another ten vets. Currently waiting for new 32mm bases to arrive since I only have 7 left which isnt enough for ten guys obviously.

Edited by Marshal Vespasian

I just saw that someone did additional in different desigsn Legion specific contemptors on shapeways....

Another question that I have been pondering:

Should I do sigismund in black or in yellow? I do lave the yellow but currently hes wearing black in the Siege series.

Black would certainly make him stand out from the rest of the force, plus if you chose to have his Templars in a majority black scheme too, it'll be a nice switch-up from painting the rest of the force.

On the topic of alternate dreadnought designs, has anyone got any ideas for modelling an alternative Deredeo? I really can't abide the official model, but I do like the weapons systems.