30k Hobby Chat

Last week I finished up 24 terminators and a bunch of magnetized arms for 10 of them. See thread in signature. Next up is 5 dreads.

Those look really nice. Not so cartoony like many other 40k BA are painted.

Now make some for 30k :wink:

Thanks, I consider myself a grim dark painter so my BA are dark and vampire like. For another quick example my avatar picture is a mini I made to represent me in my Dark Mech army.  My Tartaros and Cataphractii termis are on page one of my thread. :biggrin.: I now have 40+ termis painted!

I really need to do a big group shot of my BA but I currently have zero! vehicles finished. . .my old original plastic rhinos have been sitting unfinished since I got them all those years ago lol. Actually I think I might have airbrushed a couple years ago but thats it.

Edited by NiftyVT

Last week I finished up 24 terminators and a bunch of magnetized arms for 10 of them. See thread in signature. Next up is 5 dreads.

Thanks, I consider myself a grim dark painter so my BA are dark and vampire like. For another quick example my avatar picture is a mini I made to represent me in my Dark Mech army.  My Tartaros and Cataphractii termis are on page one of my thread. :biggrin.: I now have 40+ termis painted!

I really need to do a big group shot of my BA but I currently have zero! vehicles finished. . .my old original plastic rhinos have been sitting unfinished since I got them all those years ago lol. Actually I think I might have airbrushed a couple years ago but thats it.

Those look incredible as well.

I really have to start using oil washes. The effect is so worth the effort,

although I am under the impression that it is less hard then someone may think it is.

And you are absolutely right right about the darker tone on those BA.

It looks more grown up to do so.

And menacing. ;)

although I am under the impression that it is less hard then someone may think it is.

And menacing. :wink:

I've got to do some oil washes as well. I have the oils, but I've been holding off doing it. I'm working on these drop pods though, and oil washes on the metal would look so good though...

I have found that oils and enamels are great for just about everything. And yes, its not that hard to do. I have a little plastic tub that I keep some mineral spirits in for cleaning off the brushes I use (old brushes I dont car about) and thats really the only special thing you need.

I use an old cotton T shirt and cotton swabs to wipe off excess. Just make sure you have a TON of cotton swabs on hand and some very fine tweezers to pick off whatever little strands decide to come off the cotton swab.

Would love to see, can’t see signatures on the phone though. Any chance of direct link? Edited by LameBeard

And menacing. :wink:

I've got to do some oil washes as well. I have the oils, but I've been holding off doing it. I'm working on these drop pods though, and oil washes on the metal would look so good though...

I have found that oils and enamels are great for just about everything. And yes, its not that hard to do. I have a little plastic tub that I keep some mineral spirits in for cleaning off the brushes I use (old brushes I dont car about) and thats really the only special thing you need.

I use an old cotton T shirt and cotton swabs to wipe off excess. Just make sure you have a TON of cotton swabs on hand and some very fine tweezers to pick off whatever little strands decide to come off the cotton swab.

out of curiosity, when do you do eye lens glow- before or after the varnish+oil/enamels?

out of curiosity, when do you do eye lens glow- before or after the varnish+oil/enamels?

My marine helmets just get a single color lens before the oils/enamels. For more dramatic glowing effects, like on my necrons, I do the oil/enamel before the glow/vibrant colors.

So I backed the lunar auxilia kickstarter and am wondering where to start.

I am thinking a full lasrifle tercio as well as 2 veletarii with volkit and one with axes, dracosan for each of them, three medicae as a troop core at first.

Then propably two squads of eusses and a malcador infernus followed by some ogryns and a marshal.

Sound ambitious I know. In the beginning I'll just paint up a few to get a break from all the damn yellow I am painting

My marine helmets just get a single color lens before the oils/enamels. For more dramatic glowing effects, like on my necrons, I do the oil/enamel before the glow/vibrant colors.

I do lenses, gloss, pinwash around the lens for a more striking effect, matte, re gloss (if i dont forget)

Nice work. Do like black shields. Like the fur boot on the speeder pilot

Thanks. In the grim dark future there are only ugg boots for style.

At some point I need a couple of those rollercoster Land Speeders as well. They look so stupid and so funny.

Philistines, the lot of you! I love the Proteus Land Speeder. No, it doesn't look like a flying victorian bath chair!

I've only got the one so far, but of course it has to be White Scars.

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/WhiteScars-LandSpeeder1.jpg

Philistines, the lot of you! I love the Proteus Land Speeder. No, it doesn't look like a flying victorian bath chair!

I've only got the one so far, but of course it has to be White Scars.

http://zedmeister.co.uk/resimg/hh/WhiteScars-LandSpeeder1.jpg

That really rakes me back to the mid 90s! You’ve done a great job on painting that model. 

Beakie Marines Forever Forever Beakie Marines

They are a terrible choice really, the are clearly worse than the javelin for similar points and for some reason they don't bother with front armour.

Wasn't that explained as: "Power Armour is pretty decent and slapping armour plates on the front offered the pilots no additional protection"?

Now admittedly you'd still rather not have your consoles, controls or engines shot out.

They are a terrible choice really, the are clearly worse than the javelin for similar points and for some reason they don't bother with front armour.

Wasn't that explained as: "Power Armour is pretty decent and slapping armour plates on the front offered the pilots no additional protection"?

Now admittedly you'd still rather not have your consoles, controls or engines shot out.

Nope.

It's a bulletproof tablet he is using. ;)

So goofy, but yet so cool.

What really grind my gears are their rules.

There is no reason to take them over a Javelin which is a damn shame.

Yeah Javelins seem far superior. Rule of cool it is.

Just scored 20 of the first 22 HH softbacks. From the pictures a couple of them are quite beaten up but I'm excited considering I think I read the first 6 or so then "A Thousand Sons" and "Prospero Burns". They'll provide plenty of lockdown reading material and when I finally get back to work I'm actually going to take time to have somewhat of a break which will involve reading. :)

I picked up some of the plastic speeders for my word bearers, have those coming along. I might have to pick up some of the resin ones as well, but I thought it'd be fun to glue random things to the plastic one, and it was.