30k Hobby Chat

Eh termies make for fine backfield objective holders. They're durable enough not to get shifted by quads, a decent enough bully to fight disruption units that pop out of termites or pods and are extremely points efficient.

The problem most people have is having few subjective scoring units, so terminators automatically get to be "mid board objective guys" .

If you have Terminators to spare they are indeed great for holding an objective in the backfield.

But since I am one of the people you're speaking of I have to use other units for that.

How many scoring units you bring in a 2k army?

I tend to play 2500, but for my iron warriors lists it averaged 6; for 2000 it'd be 5. But the entire point of the list was built around scoring saturation and distraction with non-scoring threats.

Eh termies make for fine backfield objective holders. They're durable enough not to get shifted by quads, a decent enough bully to fight disruption units that pop out of termites or pods and are extremely points efficient.

The problem most people have is having few subjective scoring units, so terminators automatically get to be "mid board objective guys" .

If you have Terminators to spare they are indeed great for holding an objective in the backfield.

But since I am one of the people you're speaking of I have to use other units for that.

How many scoring units you bring in a 2k army?

I tend to play 2500, but for my iron warriors lists it averaged 6; for 2000 it'd be 5. But the entire point of the list was built around scoring saturation and distraction with non-scoring threats.

Now I'm intrigued.

Do you mind giving an example list?

I seldom have more than three scoring units in 2k. :whistling:

General question, what are people's thoughts on Shotgun armed Recon Squads? Any use on the table top or just a poor man's bolter?

I haven’t built any yet but I’m thinking of a squad for Zone Mortalis. Range isn’t an issue, and being able to charge is handy - maybe I’ll do mixed weapons with couple kitted out for melee, couple of shotguns, handflamer on sergeant because who else gets one so why not?

But am I basing this all on vague memory? Where are the rules for shotguns - don’t see them in my red legions book

@Mogsam - The Krakens look great so far.

@All - What's the general consensus on robes for the 1st Legion? I have some of the plastic DA robed bodies and was considering using them with MkIV arms and backpacks to make veteran sergeants and so forth. Looking over the FW site, I can see 1st Legion minis with cloaks, but no robes.

Do your models your way! I’m building one with a robe like that right now; the whole squad won’t be robed, so he might end up the sergeant. I’ve also seen the bodies without the legs showing been completed using mark iii. My rationale is that there was a lot of hooded tabard wearing in “the Order” so after being reunited with the Primarch, some of these customs seep into legion culture, perhaps evolving a little on the way.

Edit: picture

med_gallery_93054_15563_125843.jpg

Edited by LameBeard

Yeah, go for it, robes are fine. I like that idea LameBeard, could do it so that one of the other Calibanite orders preferred robes, or maybe there's a terran knight order that does so. All sorts of fun you could have with that.

I was thinking of using the DA in the Deathwatch Kill Team Cassius as a character of some kind. I was thinking of doing some Raven Guard next as well, so I think that kit might have some promise to get a few characters out of.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Yes lots of potential in that kit I think. I converted a 30k chaplain/diabolist from Cassius (yeah, heresy, I know) from the bits store. I think the Iron Hand looks the next easiest. I’d also really like a librarian, toying with some ideas there, but haven’t got anywhere with these projects yet.

I haven't read any DA books yet (starting "Descent of Angels" today) but I say robes if you want them!

"Fulgrim" (I kinda struggled with the first third of the book, it just didn't interest me) made me download the Mournival Eldar book and if GW update their Aspect Warriors like the Banshees I'd be awfully tempted to start a force.

Last night I put magnets on the bottom of all my recently finished Termis. Not much progress but its something.

Hey man, I considered it great progress when all the 90+ krieg infantry in my army were on their bases. That was two days basically, nothing but glueing dudes to bases after finishing gravel final touches on all the bases.

Any progress is good progress~

Edited by Dark Legionnare

I've been working on my praetor/first captain. -

E18LG45.jpg

This chap is Captain Kalei, the first and last captain of the Wayfinders Legion.

Terran born, Kalei was commander of the 18th Company of the Wayfinders until the Ragdhan massacres. His rapid ascent through his legions ranks was a testament to his skill and will to survive where so many of his brothers died.

After the complete collapse of his gene-father's faith in the imperial truths and the crusade, he would go on to lead the Legion in the primarchs place in a fruitless attempt to avoid a censure from the Emperor.

This action would save many of his brothers from their primarchs fate, even if it led to their exile..

C2-C63-E7-F-782-B-45-C0-ADC5-77-B5151202
Idea for a thousand sons master of signals. Thoughts? Or does he look like he spent too much time on Chogoris? According to his shoulder pad he is Terran…

Edit: he should get these guy’s asphyx shells going...
D93-E468-D-5-CC3-4-B77-A961-672645364-F0

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

cheers guys.

Not sure about the top knot, doesn't strike me as TSon, love the posing tho!

i figured there should be an antenna backpack anyway… so i have to work out how many 'vertical elements' I want on that otherwise very squarish model.

Love what you’ve done @okonomiyakimarine, I think the paint job could sell him as Thousand Son, but I would still go with a smaller topknot. Did that come from an ork?

It's from my bit box. I assume it is an old noise marine.

So back on the topic of Heresy-era Dark Angels in robes and so on, I wanted to make a mk iii marine a bit less plain. But I really don't like how the helmet sticks over the gorget. So what do people think about the other heads? Is the cowl over-the-top for 30k? Or with the bare head is he too 'Black Templar' for 30k? I might even go to the bits store and get that sternguard beard head, since Forgeworld seem to think beards are in fashion for 1st Legion.

sml_gallery_93054_15563_252016.jpgsml_gallery_93054_15563_80173.jpgsml_gallery_93054_15563_5534.jpg

Edited by LameBeard

I like all 3, maybe cut the neck ball joint piece down if you want to lower the helmet.

The BTs steal DA stuff all the time, don't feel bad infringing there, do as you please. I think the head is fine personally, could always make him terran if he doesn't look as calibanite as you'd normally think.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

@okonomiyakimarine I agree that in black and white he comes of as more SoH or WS than EC, but with the right coloring that could be easily remedied. Make the hair a bold purple or green or something and it could look more punk than tribal. Or, just add a little detail suggesting he did an exchange tour with the V or XVI.

@LameBeard: I’d go for a mix - with the majority wearing helmets. Adds to their knightly styling. Take a good look at the helmet and check what holds it up. Is is the joint below or is the torso too narrow to hold it? Can you make it look right by shaving down the back? If you are lucky to have mkii helmets, or have a way to source them, they are less wide at the visors

@okonomiyakimarine I agree that in black and white he comes of as more SoH or WS than EC, but with the right coloring that could be easily remedied. Make the hair a bold purple or green or something and it could look more punk than tribal. Or, just add a little detail suggesting he did an exchange tour with the V or XVI.

That is an excellent idea. Or they all are really good ideas. At some point I have to rework my poor purple boys anyway.

Edited by okonomiyakimarine

@WrathOftheLion, @Okonomiyakimarine thank you both. It is the pointy chin that is the problem, clashing with not much space behind the gorget. So a mk ii head would probably solve it, but I only have one, for a nuncio vox (I have just nearly enough bits to make only one mk ii model - such a shame if I’m going to go Dark Angels it would have been great to have more!)

#bringbackmarktwo

@WrathOftheLion, @Okonomiyakimarine thank you both. It is the pointy chin that is the problem, clashing with not much space behind the gorget. So a mk ii head would probably solve it, but I only have one, for a nuncio vox (I have just nearly enough bits to make only one mk ii model - such a shame if I’m going to go Dark Angels it would have been great to have more!)

#bringbackmarktwo

If you know anyone with a resin 3d printer there are loads of MK2 bits to download and print. I have one if you don't know anyone :)